NSW University Pro Life Club Victimised (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Outrage over a meeting of like minded people who are opposed to abortion? Hello? More people are Christian in this country than any other religion. I think it is a bit rich for people to be 'outraged' over it given there are plenty of feminist society's etc, not to mention all the other religious ones. Those same people are also outraged that "it was clear that members of LifeSoc voted against respecting women" yet a woman was elected as the president, go figure.

A club aiming to foster “discussion and debate on the issues of abortion and euthanasia” held its inaugural AGM this afternoon, with some attending deriding the meeting as a circus.

LifeChoice UNSW (LifeSoc) is a pro-life society primarily interested in pushing an anti-abortion agenda.

Its counterpart at the University of Sydney, LifeChoice USYD, was set up earlier this year in the face of a series of protests claiming the club was anti-woman.

The meeting, attended by approximately 30 people, saw a dramatic display of events, with students opposed engaged in a creative display of filibustering.

SRC Education Officer David Bailey-McKay calling for a motion for the club’s constitution to be written in Latin, whilst Keiran Adair heckled relentlessly, at one time reciting the introduction to a world politics textbook to stall progress.

Concerns were raised by some, including student Dylan Kelly-Moore, that the majority of members in support of LifeSoc were men. One student opposed to the club raised the idea that the aims of the club should be amended to include respect for women, but was told this was implied in the club’s aim of “promoting the dignity of human life from conception till natural death.”

Kim Lowe, SRC Women’s Officer in 2011, told Tharunka it was clear that members of LifeSoc voted against respecting women.

Members of the University of Sydney chapter of LifeChoice have openly called for the abolishment of abortion rights for women.

There, outraged students appealed to the University of Sydney Union (USU) board and Clubs & Societies (C&S) committee to have the pending affiliation of the club rejected.

The club was eventually approved amidst controversy.

“The tide is turning! Future leaders of society come from great universities like Sydney University and if we can just light a pro-life spark in some of them then that day when we finally abolish abortion will come that much closer. I cannot wait!”

The UNSW LifeSoc AGM elected Anna Fernon as the inaugural President.

Sources within Arc’s Student Development Committee (SDC), the body that oversees club affiliation, told Tharunka that it was possible the club had not informed them of where the AGM would be held.

SDC guidelines requires a 7 day notice period with the room details for the AGM to be valid.

According to some attending, it was clear that non-Arc members were voting for LifeSoc’s executive. The chair of the meeting, Matthew Lennon called for the meeting to be cut short following these elections.

If affiliated, LifeSoc will be eligible for Arc subsidies and grants for meetings and events.

Kieran Adair told Tharunka that a decision to affiliate the club would be a disgrace, and is planning a petition against affiliation.

“A decision by the SDC to allow this club to affiliate with Arc and access student funding is an affront to all students on this campus,” he said.

When approached about the matter, Chris Antonini, SDC Convenor, told Tharunka he couldn’t comment of the specifics of LifeSoc’s affiliation.

“However, all applications for affiliation must comply with the affiliation policy. When non-compliant, prospective clubs may have to reconvene a general meeting to ensure due process is followed.”
http://tharunka.arc.unsw.edu.au/concerns-as-anti-abortion-club-convenes-on-campus/

deswa1

HSC
See I disagree with actions like this- forget about what views I have personally on abortion etc. which are irrelevant here, I think you should be allowed to meet to discuss your views whatever they are. It shouldn't matter if general society thinks its 'backwards' or whatever, its your group. Its like with religion- there are heaps of religions that I disagree with vehemently but I don't care if people belong to those religions or practice them etc. because its their life and their choice.

I would have a problem with this though (from both sides- both pro and against abortion) if they spent a lot of resources trying to slam their views down other people's throats. Going back to the religion idea- people can practice whatever religion they want but I don't want someone to come to my house and spend 4 hours attempting to convert me to their religion.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Did not read.

But I'll say this much:
I've seen people visibly upset by the anti-abortion posters at uni because they are highly offensive to people who have gone through such terrible things in the past.
And the Christian societies (mostly the Catholic society which is fucking terrible) proclaiming their hateful shit like "Is "Marriage Equality" really important?" IN QUOTATION MARKS!
Cunts.

So I honestly have no toleration for these societies on campus and whatever was done to them they probably deserved worse.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, I just read it. The clubs seem dodgy as fuck anyway and they shouldn't be actual societies on campus. The way that AGM was conducted was appalling. It's not even that difficult to follow the guidelines. They probably didn't even have someone taking a transcript.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Wow it's almost like retarded university students hate free speech and assembly

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't agree one bit of what they stand for but I do strongly defend their right to hold and express such a view.

The appropriate way to deal with this is to present your own arguments and perspectives and make the case why they are wrong. You don't try to censor their opinions.

Fight speech you disagree with with your own speech.

Lentern

HSC
Did not read.

But I'll say this much:
I've seen people visibly upset by the anti-abortion posters at uni because they are highly offensive to people who have gone through such terrible things in the past.
And the Christian societies (mostly the Catholic society which is fucking terrible) proclaiming their hateful shit like "Is "Marriage Equality" really important?" IN QUOTATION MARKS!
Cunts.

So I honestly have no toleration for these societies on campus and whatever was done to them they probably deserved worse.
Is that really so hateful? Downplaying the importance of is a lot gentler than some of the campaigns that I've come across, saying it would lead to bestiality sodomy rape of heterosexuals etc, now those are hateful campaigns.

Debauchee

HSC
Did not read.
Liberal throwing a tantrum over something he doesn't even attempt to understand. How surprising.

Like what?

Cunts.
Questioning the importance of entry into arbitrary statist institutions. OMG SO HATEFUL

Full liberal spastic mode engage!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Funny thing is that a lot of the time these "pro life" people support capital punishment and increased millitary spending.

Debauchee

HSC
Funny thing is that a lot of the time these "pro life" people support capital punishment and increased millitary spending.
Normally people support capital punishment for murderers, so there's nothing particularly inconsistent in them believing that those who have extinguished life should not be allowed to continue to live.

And they also believe that defense spending is necessary to protect our/their countries, which is to say, to protect life. Of course, in reality, an enormous amount of the defense spending in america, at least, does nothing at best and makes america less safe at worst. Still, not inconsistent.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Normally people support capital punishment for murderers, so there's nothing particularly inconsistent in them believing that those who have extinguished life should not be allowed to continue to live.

And they also believe that defense spending is necessary to protect our/their countries, which is to say, to protect life. Of course, in reality, an enormous amount of the defense spending in america, at least, does nothing at best and makes america less safe at worst. Still, not inconsistent.
It can most certainly be inconsistent depending on their basis for why they oppose abortion. If it's because life is sacred, then support for capital punishment is inconsistent. Increased military spending doesn't necessarily mean increased military action.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)