nuclear chem (1 Viewer)

angelxtearz

HSC
Gamma: how is it expressed in nuclear equations. Is gamma radiation indicated by the mere atom undergoing radiation decay?

and also positron emission? what is that just beta emission? according to a test paper it isnt, i gathered.

thnkyooz

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Gamma radiation is not expressed in radioactive decay equations. It is never emitted on its own, but rather accompanies beta radiation in the radioactive decay of certain radioisotopes such as technetium-99m and cobalt-60.

Positron emission is a type of beta decay, sometimes referred to as "beta plus" (β<sup>+</sup>). A positron is a β<sup>+</sup> particle. Positron emission is not in the syllabus.

angelxtearz

HSC
...?

oh, so there are 2 beta particles, 0 e & 0 e
-1 1
could you please explain beta radiation, with the 2 types. its so confusing and why are there two, is it something to do with the p;n ratio, where one is p>n and the other n>p.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
angelxtearz said:
oh, so there are 2 beta particles, 0 e & 0 e
-1 1
could you please explain beta radiation, with the 2 types. its so confusing and why are there two, is it something to do with the p;n ratio, where one is p>n and the other n>p.
Honestly, I know very little about positron emission.

Don't be confused about these two types. For the HSC you only need to know about the "normal" beta radiation - that is, electron radiation.

angelxtearz

HSC
ohhh...

so just knowing that beta is a :
-light negatively charged radiation
-deflected my magnetic and electric fields
-has medium penetrating power
-emits particle, positron, 0 -1 e
-caused by p;n ratio greater than 1.5
would that b all id need to knoe?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
angelxtearz said:
so just knowing that beta is a :
-light negatively charged radiation
-deflected my magnetic and electric fields
-has medium penetrating power
-emits particle, positron, 0 -1 e
-caused by p;n ratio greater than 1.5
would that b all id need to knoe?
Yes, that's enough.

angelxtearz

HSC
dot point drama

process information from secondary sources to describe recent discoveries of elements.

would anyone have an sites or info to help me. n wen they say recent, how recent?

describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced
i don't quite understand cyclotrons and nuclear reactors, should i just concentrate on the ones o have chosen in the dot point "identify one use of a named radioisotope in industry n med"

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Re: dot point drama

angelxtearz said:
process information from secondary sources to describe recent discoveries of elements.

would anyone have an sites or info to help me. n wen they say recent, how recent?

describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced
i don't quite understand cyclotrons and nuclear reactors, should i just concentrate on the ones o have chosen in the dot point "identify one use of a named radioisotope in industry n med"
It's tricky to find relevant information for this dot point.

This thread is asking the same question. Casmira provided some useful links. Hope it helps.

angelxtearz

HSC
wat2do???

theres quite a lot of variation for each transuranic element. so im kinda puzzled here... :O im thinking this pt seems kinda general so if anyone, annnnyyyonnnneee... has any helpful feedback, tht wud b greatly appreciated :)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Re: wat2do???

angelxtearz said:
theres quite a lot of variation for each transuranic element. so im kinda puzzled here... :O im thinking this pt seems kinda general so if anyone, annnnyyyonnnneee... has any helpful feedback, tht wud b greatly appreciated :)
Pick one radioisotope (Unonoctum?) and Google it to death. This question isn't asked often anyway, so you won't need to prepare excessively, like you'd do with biopolymers, ethanol and such.

angelxtearz

HSC
i cudnt reli get much outta googling Unonoctum only two matches...
but this is wht i hav so far, its general

synthetic radioisotopes are generally produced in nuclear reactors (because reactors are a good source of neutrons) suitable nuclei are placed in the reactor core where they are bombarded by neutrons to produce the required isotope.

transuranic elements:
first few transuranic elemetns made by the bombardment of neutrons on other nuclei
later transuranic elements made by the bombardment of heavy nuclei with high speed positive particles such as helium or carbon nuclei produced in machines called linear accelerators and cyclotrons.

cyclotrons (particle accelerators)
-protons are introduced to the nucleus --> causes deficiency of neutrons (proton poor)
-use high voltages & electric fields to accelerate hydrogen atoms thru a vaccuum chamber
-collision into target substance produces radioactivity
nuclear reactors- neutron activation--> by capturing a neutron by the nucleus of an atom resulting in an excess of neutrons (neutron rich)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
angelxtearz said:
i cudnt reli get much outta googling Unonoctum only two matches...
but this is wht i hav so far, its general

synthetic radioisotopes are generally produced in nuclear reactors (because reactors are a good source of neutrons) suitable nuclei are placed in the reactor core where they are bombarded by neutrons to produce the required isotope.

transuranic elements:
first few transuranic elemetns made by the bombardment of neutrons on other nuclei
later transuranic elements made by the bombardment of heavy nuclei with high speed positive particles such as helium or carbon nuclei produced in machines called linear accelerators and cyclotrons.

cyclotrons (particle accelerators)
-protons are introduced to the nucleus --> causes deficiency of neutrons (proton poor)
-use high voltages & electric fields to accelerate hydrogen atoms thru a vaccuum chamber
-collision into target substance produces radioactivity
nuclear reactors- neutron activation--> by capturing a neutron by the nucleus of an atom resulting in an excess of neutrons (neutron rich)
That's explaining the production of transuranic elements via nuclear reactors and cyclotrons. The dot point you're talking about is (a) specific radioisotope(s) that was discovered "recently" (I'm thinking post-1950s should be fine). With this, you need to do some research and find out:
  • The name of the radioisotope
  • When it was discovered
  • How it was discovered
  • Who discovered it
Don't stress too much over it, because like I said, this isn't a FAQ.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
Don't stress too much over it, because like I said, this isn't a FAQ.
There is always a chance that they'll ask it this year, so still be prepared for it, know enough about the radioisotope (the 4 points mentioned by Dreamerish are sufficient) and you'll be all sweet.

angelxtearz

HSC
woud this suffice? :D

process information from secondary sources to describe recent discoveries of elements.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Date of discovery: 1944<o:p></o:p>
Place of discovery: USA<o:p></o:p>
Who discovered it?: American scientists Glenn T. Seaborg, Ralph A. James, Leon O. Morgan and Albert Ghiorso.
How was it produced?: They produced americium by bombarding plutonium-239, an isotope of plutonium, with high energy neutrons. This formed plutonium-240, which was itself bombarded with neutrons. The plutonium-240 changed into plutonium-241, which then decayed into americium-241 through beta decay.

this dot point seems pretty similar to the bipol one, except tht dt point clearly outlined the outcomes.. but meh.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Looks good to me, although you may want to re-word the "how it was discovered" bit.

P

pLuvia

Err, I think you would need more than that

Maybe this would be clearer to remember

Plutonium-240 + n --> Plutonium-241 + e- ---> Americium-241

But if it were in the HSC I would presume that it would be a 4 - 5marker question, so maybe you can add more? Or picky a more popular element :p

angelxtearz

HSC
hmm and also anothing thing,
the dt point sez, describe the recent discovery of elementS.. so focusing on one exclusively wudnt reli b answering it ... so yeh..

Riviet

HSC
N/A
angelxtearz said:
isnt tht a bit brief? as in mi response?
Yeah... if you want to add more detail, do some further research on uses of the element and advantages/disadvantages of it. That should be enough. ;)
angelxtearz said:
hmm and also anothing thing,
the dt point sez, describe the recent discovery of elementS.. so focusing on one exclusively wudnt reli b answering it ... so yeh..
Even though the dotpoint states "elements", I think all you really need to know is ONE in good detail, and it might be referring to you picking one out of all the radioactive elements that currently exist. So one should be enough.

P

pLuvia

Oh I was just refering to how it is made, makes it easier to remember :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)