nuclear chem (1 Viewer)

angelxtearz

HSC
cud sum1 plz review this

describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
radioisotopes are radioactive (instability of nucleus)
this is due to 2 circumstances
1. too heavy nucleus (too many protons and neutrons)
Radioisotopes can be produced with this trait by bombarding neutrons in order to produce neutron rich isotopes
2. p:n ratio greater than 1.5. Bombardment of neutrons causing nuclear fission (where the nucleus breaks up) eg uranium
The radioisotopes are collected by chemical separation due to their different chemical properties. Any Uranium 235 that has not undergone nuclear fission can be recycled into fuel rods.

thankyooz : )

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
angelxtearz said:
cud sum1 plz review this

describe how commercial radioisotopes are producedffice:eek:ffice" /><o>:p></o>:p>
<o>:p></o>:p>
radioisotopes are radioactive (instability of nucleus)
this is due to 2 circumstances
1. too heavy nucleus (too many protons and neutrons)
Radioisotopes can be produced with this trait by bombarding neutrons in order to produce neutron rich isotopes
2. p:n ratio greater than 1.5. Bombardment of neutrons causing nuclear fission (where the nucleus breaks up) eg uranium
The radioisotopes are collected by chemical separation due to their different chemical properties. Any Uranium 235 that has not undergone nuclear fission can be recycled into fuel rods.

thankyooz : )
You could probably just leave out the "what makes an isotope radioactive" part for this question. Elaborate your answer by giving equations demonstrating the information you're giving.

Also, note that the neutron bombardment occurs in nuclear reactors. Transuranic elements can also be made by bombarding nuclei with high-speed positively charged particles. This is done in a linear accelerator or a cyclotron.

Abtari

HSC
im pretty sure the ration is neutron: proton > 1.6

not proton to neutron as u say..and not 1.5

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Abtari said:
im pretty sure the ration is neutron: proton > 1.6

not proton to neutron as u say..and not 1.5
It is neutron to proton, but the ratio is not constant and it actually changes as you go up (technically speaking, as your nucleus gets bigger, it needs more neutrons to "glue" the whole thing together and overcome the strong repulsion of all the positive charges packed in there). At low atomic numbers, it's pretty close to 1:1 neutron to proton, so anything outside that band is usually radioactive (e.g. sodium-24 is a beta and gamma emitter, and has just one neutron more than ordinary sodium-23). The ratio increases as you get higher, and then all elements past atomic number 83 are radioactive because their nucleus is too large to be stable.

I_F

P

pLuvia

You should say, it will be radioactive if the element is outside the zone of stability. Which is what those guys are talking about

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Try Frigid's summary from the list of chem notes, I really found his summary useful. The link's in my sig, nice and convenient. :)

P

pLuvia

What textbook do you use angelxtear, because usually they have some information on at least one of the radioisotopes in it

angelxtearz

HSC
commercial isotopes from nuclear reactors-
about 2000 radioisotopes created, mostly in the normal operation of nuclear reactors.
-have short hald lives (hrs to sec)

-several radioisotopes are used in medicine, industry & scientiffic research
-generally produced in nuclear reactors (because reactors are a good source of neutrons).Suitable nuclei are placed in the reactor core where they are bombarded by neutrons to produce the required isotope.

should i also talk about the production of cobalt 60 n technetium-99m

thts wht i got from CC 3rd ed.

P

pLuvia

should i also talk about the production of cobalt 60 n technetium-99m
You should talk about them in the industry and medicine dot point, the one where you have to identify and industry or medicine then describe how it is used

P

pLuvia

Oh well then I don't think you have to there. What I did was:

20 radioisotopes out of the 2000 radioisotopes created have been used in medicine and industry.

Explained a bit about nuclear reactors, and using cobalt-60 as an example of neutron bombardment. And how mini cyclotrons have been used to make radioisotopes in medicine. And used fluorine being made by bombarding it with high positive particles such as helium and carbon

Hope that helped, overall I did about half a page for that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)