Nuclear Materials Syllabus Help (1 Viewer)

- Insomniac! -

HSC
Hey,

I've been recently having quite alot of trouble understanding the 'Nuclear Materials' Sub-Heading under the topic 'Production of Materials'.

I cannot seem to understand it, here are the three (3) DotPoints I am having difficulty with:

*distinguish between stable and radioactive isotopes and describe the conditions under which a nucleus is unstable

describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced

describe how transuranic elements are produced

They appear to be very difficult as I do not understand the purpose of the Alpha, Beta and Gamma Emissions and how to actually answer the question, basically I have no idea how to do it.

If anybody has time, would you please be able to explain those three points in detail because I've read the HSC Online information and it doesn't help me. I really need help on this because the 'Emission's' are confusing me and I have no idea how to apply them to the question to get the answers!

Thankyou SO much =]

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
- Insomniac! - said:
*distinguish between stable and radioactive isotopes and describe the conditions under which a nucleus is unstable
A stable isotope is one that does not undergo radioactive decay. A radioisotope will spontaneously decay and release radiation in the form of alpha or beta particles or gamma waves.

For HSC level: Isotopes with less than 20 protons are generally stable when the proton:neutron ratio is 1:1. Above atomic number 20, the stable proton:neutron ratio increases gradually to around 1:1.5.

A complete isotope table can be found here.
The table shows that both neutron abundant and neutron deficient isotopes are unstable.

- Insomniac! - said:
*describe how transuranic elements are produced
Through the bombardment of elements in a particle accelerator, for example the nuclear fusion of californium-249 and carbon-12 creates rutherfordium.

- Insomniac! - said:
*describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced
I would imagine they are produced in the same way as the transuranic elements.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
brenton1987 said:
A stable isotope is one that does not undergo radioactive decay. A radioisotope will spontaneously decay and release radiation in the form of alpha or beta particles or gamma waves.

For HSC level: Isotopes with less than 20 protons are generally stable when the proton:neutron ratio is 1:1. Above atomic number 20, the stable proton:neutron ratio increases gradually to around 1:1.5.

A complete isotope table can be found here.
The table shows that both neutron abundant and neutron deficient isotopes are unstable.
Adding to that:
Elements with a an atomic number greater than 83 are naturally radioactive as their nucleus is unstable.

In summary: conditions for stablity - general rule
*stable light elements Z:1-20: protons to neutrons ~1:1
*stable heavy elements Z:73-83: protons to neutrons ~1-1.5
*Z>83 are unstable.

:):)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
- Insomniac! - said:
describe how transuranic elements are produced

]They appear to be very difficult as I do not understand the purpose of the Alpha, Beta and Gamma Emissions and how to actually answer the question, basically I have no idea how to do it.

If anybody has time, would you please be able to explain those three points in detail because I've read the HSC Online information and it doesn't help me. I really need help on this because the 'Emission's' are confusing me and I have no idea how to apply them to the question to get the answers!

Thankyou SO much =]
When an element's nucleus is unstable it undergoes radioactive decay until it becomes stable [stability depends on what I said above;]. It can undergo either alpha decay or beta decay.

Alpha decay/emission = helium nuclei
Beta decay/emission = electrons
Gamma decay/emission = EMR

Transuranic elements are those that have an atomic number greater than 92. All transuranic elements are isotopes and are produced artificially. Early “low” massed elements up to atomic number 95 (93, 94 and 95) were made in a nuclear reactor, by the bombardment of neutrons to a nucleus.

Today transuranic elements are made by bombardment of the nucleus with charge particles by ion accelerations such as cyclotrons, synchrotrons and linear accelerators.

It would be good if you can remember an example of how they make a transuranic element.

So tired:sleep:
Hope this helps.
:):)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Ashmobs said:
you make me a happy man
<3:shy:
When do you leave?

- Insomniac! - said:
*describe how transuranic elements are produced
See my above post. It's the same process.

I'd also be inclined to memorise how they produce one. This shouldn't be too hard because you need to know a transuranic element for industry and medicine anyways.;)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
You're not the only one that can fill up a premium account sized inbox!
Then my premo expired....
*meh* cuz I'm lazy, k.:p

It's not like you can't reach me?!

- Insomniac! -

HSC
Thankyou! =]
I was just a little 'thoughtless' when it came to those Emissions because in the textbook it gives you examples and yet it still confuses me because I don't understand what it is saying , for example:

Taken from the HSC Online Site:

Question: What exactly is happening!? I have no idea except that it is a nuclear fusion reaction, but I don't understand how the Emissions come into it and how they decide the result/end up with the answer. I need the working out processes of it basically, as in how to write those chemical equations and how to come up with the answer because it really confuses me, particularly because I have a low level Mathematics background.

Same here:

Pu-239 is changed to americium by neutron bombardment.

All those numbers like this: 1n0 and 0e-1 don't really help me to understand it, I know it has something to do with the electrons and protons, but the formulas for the Emissions confuse me to no end. Any help on these two equations and questions is welcome, I thankyou and appreciate your time and effort =]

wogblogger

HSC
heyy

this might help you understand if ur a bit to maths minded

in the above equation as u can see there are alot of numbers lol
now these numbers "basically" mean 1 of 2 things:
  • top number:atomic mass
  • bottom number: element number
now the thing to note is that the SUM of the top nubers is always the same (ie,, first part of reaction 235+1=236, second part =236, third part 141+92+(3)(1)=236)

this is the same for the bottom numbers

haha im not sure abt this im just makeing this up but i think this is the result of
the "Law of Conservation of Energy/Matter"

is you do physics you can relate this to problems in Conservation of Momentum ( i cant spell:lol: ) .

Now if you have CCHSC or for that matter any textbook i think doing some of questons is the best way to improve your understanding even if u dont fully understand it at the start.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
wogblogger said:
heyy

this might help you understand if ur a bit to maths minded

in the above equation as u can see there are alot of numbers lol
now these numbers "basically" mean 1 of 2 things:
  • top number:atomic mass
  • bottom number: element number
now the thing to note is that the SUM of the top nubers is always the same (ie,, first part of reaction 235+1=236, second part =236, third part 141+92+(3)(1)=236)

this is the same for the bottom numbers

haha im not sure abt this im just makeing this up but i think this is the result of
the "Law of Conservation of Energy/Matter"

is you do physics you can relate this to problems in Conservation of Momentum ( i cant spell:lol: ) .

Now if you have CCHSC or for that matter any textbook i think doing some of questons is the best way to improve your understanding even if u dont fully understand it at the start.
Now THAT's how I approached nuclear chemistry equations. :uhhuh:

- Insomniac! -

HSC
Wonderful explanation! I can FINALLY do it because I actually understand it haha!! =]

Thankyou to ALL of the members who committed their time and patience to help me, it is VERY much appreciated! =]

Once again, Thankyou!! =]

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
Lodgic said:
...a nucleus of an atom of U-92 (235 is the atomic mass and 92 is the atomic number) ... making U-92 with an atomic mass of 236 ... breaks down into Ba-56, Kr-36.

...As you have said, Pu-239 is changed ... The nucleus of an atom of Pu-94 fuses ... This makes Pu-94 but with an atomic mass of 240 (increased by 1).
Next this product of Pu-94 (atomic mass 240) ... new product (radioisotope) of Pu-94 that has an atomic mass of 241 (increased by 1).
When you list isotopes in the format X-Y, the Y should be the atomic mass not the atomic number. You should have had U-235, U-236, Ba-141, Kr-92, Pu-239, Pu-240, Pu-241.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)