Nursing UAI (1 Viewer)

cyclonesarah

Hey, Im in year 12 at the moment and I want to do nursing, but I was wondering why the UAI at UWS is like 15 points lower than other unis?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Its lower than other uni's because of demand. Nursing is taught on 4 out of the 6 campuses. Hawkesbury, Campbelltown, Bankstown and Parramatta. The UAIs vary between campuses, because some campuses are more popular than other ones, parramatta, because of its location.

I'm sure giggles can explain better, she does nursing :p

cyclonesarah

What do you guys think about living in Newcastle and travelling down to UWS by train or whatever. There is no way i am going to get into nursing at Newcastle with a 75.25 or whatever it is, but I just might be able to get into UWS ... is this a good idea or not. Any ideas? And what would be the best campus to try and go to if i was going backwards and forwards all the time??? I was thinking Hawkesbury but any other ideas would be realy helpfull....

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
To be perfectly honest, I think you'd be nuts to live in Newcastle and go to UWS. Thats too far to travel in one day! I travel 3 hours to and from uni (I go to Richmond and the train line isn't that flash :p) and I'm absolutely completely buggered by the time I get home. I'd imagine traveling to and from Newcastle would be worse.

I dunno how many days nursing is, or what the work load is like, but I can imagine that traveling that far, it will eventually take its toll on you. Not to scare you or anything, but its 12 or 13 weeks on constant work, and that includes the mid-semester break.

DON'T GO TO HAWKESBURY Its the furthest possible one from Newcastle, its where I go :p

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
The Parramatta campus. Thats the one with the highest uai.

L

LaraB

hey -just some advice - travelling massive! distancesl ike that really does affect your ability to study and stuff and being able to getto th elibrary for emergency last minute assignment resources and all that kinda stuff..

myabe you might wanna think about on campuys accomodation?

not all campuses have it but transport between campuses is pretty good and there's bound to be people travelling to and from campuses with you

ask Natstar - i think at least she's living on campus at blacktown?

she might be able to give you a better idea

dont be fooled by UAI:) from what everyone says UWS course is awesome - remember, UAI = demand, not course quality or job opportunity :)

cyclonesarah

So the UAI is lower becasue there are more places available in nursing at UWS or not as many people apply for that course or something like that ... I kinda understand ... so if parramatta has the uai of 62.75 and Campbelltown had 60.15 does that mean there are more places at Campbelltown????? This is very strange!

Last edited:
L

LaraB

cyclonesarah said:
So the UAI is lower becasue there are more places available in nursing at UWS or not as many people apply for that course or something like that ... I kinda understand ... so if parramatta has the uai of 62.75 and Campbelltown had 60.15 does that mean there are more places at Campbelltown????? This is very strange!
i dont think it has to do with number of places as such..like it does amongst other things..

generally, the UAI is the UAI of the last person accepted into the course, so even though everyone knnows this doesnt happen, potentially, a UAI cut off may be 60, but everyone except the last person had a uai of 70something.

i think maybe the fact that they accept people with lower UAI's rather than accepting less people would surely have to do with demand for nurses atm...

but either way - yeah it just inidicates popularity an ddemand not course quality:)

uws for eg - more people may wanna go to parra coz transports easier or something so maybe it could be as simple a reason as that as to why its higher than campbelltown? coz a lot of peopel who live in blacktown council, hills area, parra area go to uws..so it makes snes to go to a close campus rathe rthan travelling to campbelltown

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)