nutrition (1 Viewer)

loz8888

HSC
nutrition at sydney uni

hey i was just wondering if anyone here was studying nutrition at sydney uni and if so, what is it like? do you enjoy it and think that it is a good course? im really interested in studying it at sydney uni.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Re: nutrition at sydney uni

My cousin is studying nutrition at USYD, she'll be doing honours this year. She enjoys it, both the course and the uni. wooo

loz8888

HSC

thanks 4 letting me no! is she doing a combined degree? e.g. bachelor of science - nutriton/sport science? im not sure what would be better - just nutrition or nutrition/sport science

claire_bear

claire_bear
HSC

Hey,
I've written a few replies bout this course.. u might b able to search for it if not ill give u my contact details. Im doing the combined degree nutrition and ex sci... im going into my 3rd yr this year and i really enjoy it. The nutrition degree is very science based because their non nutrition subs are made up by general science subs like physiology, pharmacology, chem, biochem etc. Our non nutrition subs are made up by exercise science subs that are really interesting and help to broaden ur understanding of good health. Obviously our degree is 5 yrs as opposed to 4 years. But if u ask me uni life is pretty good.. im not in a hurry to leave.
Anyone who is considering the double degree or even the single... send me an email or add me to msn with specific questions... i wont bite and id love to help.
mischeivious_muffin@hotmail.com immature yes!
Regards,
Claire.

loz8888

HSC
thanks very much claire.
just wondering...i no that the 2008 cut off 4 nutrition was 93.55 but do u have any idea what it may be for students entering in 2009? do u think it would be around 93/94?
also, its recommended that u study year 12 chemistry, physics and bio..except i only do bio and pd. do u recommend doing a bridging course in these subjects? i mean, would i be disadvantaged if i didnt do a bridging course in chem/phys?
thanks again,
lauren

claire_bear

claire_bear
HSC
Hey,
I think the UAI will prob stay around the 94.15 mark i think it was this year... if u ask me i think this is a good level of knowledge cuz its not the easiest course. But at the same time it all depends on how many ppl apply. I'm not sure what is in the chem bridging course but i would recommend doing it, especially if ur doing the double degree as there is no fundamentals chemistry subject u can do in yr 1 sem 1 and 2. Chem 1a and 1b isnt the easiest subject if u have little chemistry knowledge and theres lots of chemistry involved in biochem and even nutrition. I never did physics in yr 11 and 12 and didnt do a bridging course and i havnt felt disadvantaged. Normally when theres something u dont understand in a subject its pretty easy to look it up on the net. But most of what u need to know is within lectures and they dont test content outside of these so they cant expect u to know stuff from prior learning. It just makes things easier.
Good luck.. if u need any more help just ask:)
Regards,
Claire.

claire_bear

claire_bear
HSC
Oh yea just another thing i did bio in yr 11 and 12 and although things like homeostasis and stuff come up every now and then you basically are taught what u need to know. Like biology was just about learning stuff not having such a deep understanding. I think u could get away without it. You prob learn related biology in PDHPE anyway... ull find it also involves some of the physics in say biomechanics and other sport related subs.

loz8888

HSC
oo gosh so did the UAI go up to 94.15? i really hope i can achieve that mark! it sounds like a really interesting course! thanks for your help.
also, im really trying to work really hard so that i can get the best mark possible and am getting tutoring in a few subject, but how many hours a night would you recommend studying? is 4hrs a night good?

claire_bear

claire_bear
HSC
Hey Loz, i think its different for everyone... i guess u just have to be confident in ur abilities. Ur marks will b a good indication of how ur doing but remember that the marks u get for example getting a 70 in chemistry or bio doesnt necessarily mean ur hsc marks will be like that. There was often alot of difference between my raw marks and hsc marks so dont stress :) Even if you dont get into that particular course there are other ways around it such as doing a related degree say a bachelor of science for 3 yrs and then doing 2 years post grad dietetics. It is more expensive though and will mean ur at uni for an extra year, but uni isnt that bad:p

chaoticreation

HSC
Heya! I am currently doing nutrition and dietetics at the university of sydney. 1st year master student. I share alot of subjects with the 3rd year nutrition students. email me if you need any information!! sha_ren_wang@yahoo.co.uk

loz8888

HSC
chaoticreation said:
Heya! I am currently doing nutrition and dietetics at the university of sydney. 1st year master student. I share alot of subjects with the 3rd year nutrition students. email me if you need any information!! sha_ren_wang@yahoo.co.uk

oh wow, thanks so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)