Nysf 2015 (1 Viewer)

flyingmwa

HSC
Guys I got in too!! Yay!! So excited to meet you guys!!!

Axio

=o
HSC
Guys I got in too!! Yay!! So excited to meet you guys!!!
Well Done! :)

Hey guys, for those of you that have had your interviews, could you please possibly post some of the questions that you were asked or things you had to do? I still haven't had my interview :/.

macrazy

HSC

Hey guys, for those of you that have had your interviews, could you please possibly post some of the questions that you were asked or things you had to do? I still haven't had my interview :/.
Even though I didn't get in I'll give you some advice :) every district has really different imterviews by the sound of it - some focus a lot on group activities and the like where as others are much more formal. Whatever the case try not to be too nervous and give definite answers (don't doubt yourself - no I thinks or maybes, that was my downfall). It will probably help to follow the latest news really carefully, get specific with those details (if there's general knowledge they might ask some out there questions - I got asked who Indonesia's president is :p ). Also know some current research that's going on in Australia and have an answer ready for when the ask why they should pick you over everyone else, because that one's basically a given :) hope that helps a little..

Yeah em how did you go? Any news yet?

flyingmwa

HSC

I agree with macrazy! Make sure you have some knowledge about Australia. They actually ripped my application apart and asked me specific questions related to it. So most of the questons were about my application. But also basic questions like why do you want go do NYSF? How do you think this will benefit you? How did you hear about it?

Hope that helps! Good luck!!

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC

It's really important to be an energetic, approachable and confident person. Go in with a smile and shake their hands. Try and remember their names if you can. Wear semi-formal attire (For example, I wore a suit without a tie and top button undone). Some candidates wore jeans, and while this may be comfortable for you, it does show to the panel that you haven't really tried (especially to the Rotarian!!).

Be prepared for an impromptu question. The quality of the speech isn't that important, they just want to see that you can give a sustained talk with confidence to people about something. I'd also suggest researching some scientists you admire and contemporary science issues you're passionate about.

Make it super clear to the panel you're interested in science and exactly why you want to go to the NYSF. Re-enforce your passion, it's critical. I'd also suggest really thinking about a career in science you may do. This shows that you're genuinely passionate about science. Finally, be prepared with a question or two to ask them at the interview.

Good luck and I hope to see you along with flyingmwa at Session C (the clearly better session, haha!! ;) )

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)