O-Week 2005: Make Yourself At Home! (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A

Welcome to the new UNSW students! As a Yellow Shirter I'd like to welcome you to your new home for the next few years (or maybe more :D). It is my job as a Yellow Shirter to welcome you to the uni, help you around and just generally be helpful.

O-Week is the week before uni starts - Monday 21st February to Friday 25th February - during which you will learn your way around uni and uni life. You will be shown your way around; and you can ask any questions you have about enrolment, your degree and uni life in general.

During the week we will provide you with not just info, but lots of fun events and even some free (or really cheap) concerts. We have the biggest O-Week of any university in the state! It's so good that we get students from other unis coming to have fun with us!

The timetable is as follows (NB: I only put in the big things, there's plenty more which you can see at the website):

Daily
- 2 hour campus tours with Yellow Shirters

Monday 21st February
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences welcome
- Faculty of the Built Environment welcome
- Vice-Chancellor's Welcome to Parents
- UNSW Union Jazz and outdoor cinema night

Tuesday 22nd February
- Faculty of Commerce & Economics Welcome
- Faculty of Medicine Welcome
- Faculty of the College of Fine Arts Welcome
- School welcomes from the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
- UNSW Union Comedy night: Headline act: Wil Anderson

Wednesday 23rd February
- Faculty of Science Welcome
- Faculty of the College of Fine Arts Welcome (all day at CoFA)
- School of Music & Music Education Welcome
- UNSW Union Acoustic Night: Headlining act: Sarah Blasko + band

Thursday 24th February
- Faculty of Law Welcome
- Faculty of Engineering Welcome
- UNSW Union Dance Party: Headlining act: Kid Kenobi, Bliss n Eso and more!

Friday 25th February
- Vice-Chancellor's Welcome to Students
- UNSW Union O-Week Gig: Headlining Act: ESKIMO JOE, The Panics

NB. This is just a brief list! For more info, see
www.oweek.unsw.edu.au
OR
www.union.unsw.edu.au/oweek

Update
The O-Week forums are now online. Chat to a Yellow Shirter, get to know fellow first-years, or just have some fun chatting!
www.oweek.info

More details will be posted up later.

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
YES! Many many freebies! We are sponsored by great organisations like ANZ, the UNSW Union, UniGym (now the UNSW Lifestyle Centre), and many more!

Don't forget to grab your free diary! Details on how to get one will be posted later

shannonm

HSC
N/A
ya
tons of stalls in the main walkway
and spread into week 1 of session but not as many

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
sarah blasko, wil anderson and eskimo joe.. i'm so there. man, unsw o-week kick usyd's arse. (i'm helping out at the usyd one, i think our shirts are orange or something seriously hideous)

p.s. what happened to the panics? i thought they were playing at the roundhouse too?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
nfi what the diaries look like

Toods: I think The Panics are playing as support for Eskimo Joe; I'm not sure... that's all I remember because they told me who was playing at Training but I got so excited about Eskimo Joe that I forgot to write down who was playing... that was all I remembered... but they said something about stealing the lineup from ParkLife for Thursday night's dance party. Not that that's relevant

specialjenny

HSC
I will be there on the 21st for Bulit environment, will I see you there "babydoll"?

And thanks for the info.

By the way, can I get my ID card on the day? And are you doing the parent tours too?

Oh and do you know where I could find a good big map of UNSW, the one on the site is very colourful but is there one easier to print out?

Thanks a bunch! I am very excited!

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I do Science/Arts, so I don't think I'll be doing any Built Environment stuff :( But I'll be there!

You CAN get your ID on the day, but you'd be better off getting it soon (like this week) because the lines during O-Week can reach 3, 4hrs+ !

Nothing has been confirmed about the parent tours as yet; I'm not sure so I won't give an answer.

As far as I know, the map on the website is the best one available; during O-Week there will be quite a few printed in various brochures

Hope to see you there :)

shannonm

HSC
N/A
do we get some sort of 'showbag' if we go on a campus tour?
if yes, what is contained in said bag.

thank you.

specialjenny

HSC
Yes the student card...thanks for answering babydoll...I guess I'll just have to use the map on the site for now...I bet I will get lost..:(

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
shannonm said:
do we get some sort of 'showbag' if we go on a campus tour?
if yes, what is contained in said bag.

thank you.
The showbags are around the campus during O-Week, you don't get one for going on a tour, you can just grab one

LMF: yes, the student cards

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Asq: I'm a Yellow Shirter; that's my job

shannonm: if you got one last year, it's probably the same thing... copy of FHM, a can of V, bookmarks, postcards, vouchers etc

LMF: yes one big party

B

Bambul

Tour bags are given out if you go on a tour but you can usually pick one up elsewhere if you don't go on a tour. The contents change from year to year depending on the sponsors, but in the past they have included magazines, water bottles, cans of drink, "personal hygene items", information booklets, plus the bag isn't too shabby either.

If you get a chance to srop by uni and pick up your student card (at e-spot) *before* O-Week, then you'll save a lot of time. The long que remains through most of O-Week and then for a few more weeks after that. You can technically get through without a student card for a little while, but you need it for exams, transport concessions, union discounts and a fair number of the events at O-Week (otherwise you have to pay as though you are not a UNSW student). That's why it's recommended that you get it *before* O-Week.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Asquithian said:
1st March........
mmm....Feb 28th.

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/resources/KeyDates.html said:
Monday 28
Semester 1 commences (faculties other than Medicine, AGSM and University College ADFA)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Events courtesy of the Student Guild

Welcome all future UNSW students to Orientation Week.

I will be organising one of the events at O-Week on behalf of the Student Guild. It's called the "Silly Olympics" and since Orientation Week is all about you guys and girls - the students - I would appreciate any suggestions you could give which would make it one of the best events at O-Week. If you could PM me, that would be greatly appreciated.

For those of you who have no idea about the student organisations at university (I know I have no idea when I was at O-Wk last yr), the crucial difference between the 2 main students orgs that are contributing to O-wk is that they serve different purposes. The Student Guild is the political body in UNSW while the Union provides facilities and services such as subsidised food.

I hope of all you have an enjoyable O-Week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)