Oberth (1 Viewer)

Lethargist

HSC
N/A
Hi,
Can anyone tell me a really good, and in depth website on Oberth or tsiolkovsky?

I have to do a three page typed assessment on this and anything i have found so far has been too breif.

kini mini

HSC
Can't help you sorry. Perhaps your syllabus has changed in this area, ours said we could do any one of (from memory) Von Braun, Goddard, Tsiokolovsky and Oberth. I did Goddard, just to be different from the bludgy von B army :D.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
go to the physics section of the sci/tech part of the boredofstudies main page and i think lazarus has put up an assignment called "space exploration" about each scientist.

marsesbars

They should only ask at most a 3-mark question about this, so 3 points on what your specific guy did should be enough.

Tsiolkovsky was a theorist (ie. didn't actually make rockets, but designed them). He:
  • used the Law of Conservation of Momentum to show that a rocket can move by ejecting something (gas probably) the opposite way. You know what this means? Rockets can move in space - even without air to push against, because of this funny thing called momentum conservation!
  • drew designs for multi-stage launch vehicles (multi-stage is where fuel cannisters are detached from the spacecraft after the fuel inside it is spent
  • found out that liquid fuel is better than solid fuel because it's easier to control its burn rate

Remember those three points - momentum, multi-stage and liquid fuel, and you should be set...

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
i wouldnt worry about obert, he wasnt 1 of the main scientists. He's in the sylliabus (well mine from this yr's hsc), but i fink if a question on scientists does arise, it'll prolly ask for 3 or 2 scientists and frankly there are better ones to write on.

The jacaranda text book has bout 1 para on oberth. Ive 4gotten wat he did. He's 1 of the minor ppl, like that other french weirdo name guy. He mightve written a book on space and inspired some ppl etc etc.
So juz check the jacaranda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)