Obtaining Part II exemptions doing single Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you obtain part II exemptions doing single actuarial studies?

I heard it requires a certain WAM. Is this true?

I know difficulty is subjective, blah blah blah, but is it difficult to obtain this WAM?

mreditor16

HSC
Can you obtain part II exemptions doing single actuarial studies?

I heard it requires a certain WAM. Is this true?

I know difficulty is subjective, blah blah blah, but is it difficult to obtain this WAM?
This is as much as I know. So here it goes:

So Part One exemption is obtained by completing the actuarial units in your three years of the single degree. To obtain exemptions, at UNSW, you need a credit in all the Actuarial Studies Courses, and at Macquarie University, you need a credit as well.

Then, you can go on to try to get part II exemptions. You ask about single degree - so I'm pretty sure, this means that you need to take a honours year (this applies at both UNSW and Macquarie) and complete the actuarial units. At UNSW, to get exemption from the Institute, you need a distinction (75%) in your actuarial courses while at Macquarie, you need a Credit (B grade) in those courses - not sure of why the difference, but yeah that's it.

In terms of difficulty, I am just a HSC student, so I have no idea. Hopefully, some current / past actuarial student can help out. :)

D94

HSC
N/A
The first question could have been answered with a simple google search of the university and course, the second also with a google search: http://www.actuaries.asn.au/studying-with-the-institute/part-ii

Someone doing Actuarial Studies can answer for difficulty, but whether or not it is difficult is beside the point - you will need to obtain that WAM for the exemption.

zhiying

HSC
Hey there, I can only answer for UNSW since I'm studying actuarial there. Part II's are done in your fourth year so if you do a single 3 year degree, you can either do a honors year, extend your 3 year to 4 years by underloading, or just take the Part II subjects as non-award studies.

Here's an article I wrote for the Actuarial Society's website, should explain in more depth
http://asoc.unsw.edu.au/about/exemptions

And yes pretty much everyone agrees it is hard.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey there, I can only answer for UNSW since I'm studying actuarial there. Part II's are done in your fourth year so if you do a single 3 year degree, you can either do a honors year, extend your 3 year to 4 years by underloading, or just take the Part II subjects as non-award studies.

Here's an article I wrote for the Actuarial Society's website, should explain in more depth
http://asoc.unsw.edu.au/about/exemptions

And yes pretty much everyone agrees it is hard.
Thanks a lot that was very helpful :)

zhiying

HSC
No worries, let me know if you have any other questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)