OCD there are good things in bad things and bad things in good things (1 Viewer)

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
I just wanted to say my bio teacher is so nice. I built up the courage to talk to her 2 weeks ago. She has a disorder too! She also told me to go to the counsellor, but i have no time 'cos of the midyr exams........some things pple said in these forums are really comforting to hear...........read. She told me to see the doctor. But first i wanto tell my parents...........actually not ME, but let them kno.......so i was thinking someone ELSE could tell them......but i feel that the counsellor would be the best person but i cant see her cos of my exams so im waiting for next term but my teacher expects me to go to the doctors............she gave me a list of medications eg. PROZAC or smthng........but im wary bout taking em cos of side effects and if my parents kno theyll chop me. *breath............ummmmmmmm.........yea...........
My teacher says the reason im so hard working is cos of my disorder.........so there are advantages (even though the disadv. are more).....Sometimes i laugh at what i do, like when i write i keep lifting the pen to look at the pen tip.........im aware of it, but cant control it...........its a waste of time in exams.
First time i approached my teacher i stood at the door at the end of school.........this knot tying in my stomach, then i turned and walked away........i had to wait another week.............
Hmmmmm.............this is weird......i dunno y i bother writing this expecting others to read (????) but it feels like a diary.
:p

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
maybe you should consider getting a diary?
nah seriously it can help a bit. if you're not big on literally writing down stuff you can always get one on the internet.
it just helps to put your thoughts onto paper and keep track of your progress and anything that has to do with the disorder.

don't know much about OCD personally but if you want I can give your websites and such.

and those medications, they're prescription meds so you need to go to the doctor to get them. it's often advised that you go to a GP first. They'll get you to do some diagnostic tests. And they'll most likely prescribed you meds.
It's not always the best option but it should do for the time being.
It's best to go to a psychiatrist but they cost a bloody fortune. :mad1:

oh, and those side effects, it's different to each individual so you might not even get any side effect. but then I'd rather feel better with the side effects than feel shitty without side effects, if u know what I mean.

eliea45

Hi,
I've read through some of your messages about having OCD and you situation is very similar to me. I have OCD and very much understand your situation. I'm in year 11 at the moment so I don't post at this site but I couldn't help but to reply. I do the same sort of thing as you in exams, and my OCD always gets worse then (probably cause i'm so stressed). I check all the pages so many times cause i'm scared i've missed them, check and recheck miultiple choice even when I know it's fine and waste so much time just by repeating things over and over to myself in my head, or I would read through a sentence and half way though have to start again and do this again and again....and that makes me more stressed and it just gets worse. It gets worse during exams but it's always there all the time. There's lots of other things I do because of it too, like i'll keep fixing something or tap something or check something over and over and I KNOW myself that it's so pointless but I can't help it, I have to do these things. I havn't seen anyone about it and only a few friends know that I have it.....everyone else has no idea. I try hard at school and everything and maybe like you said it is because of the OCD, but my parents don't push me with school. I understand how hard it is for you cause it's the same for me in alot of ways.......it's good you can talk to your bio teacher about it. I don't want to tell my parents...they wouldn't understand, and I don't want to go on medication or see a councellor, but it does affect me alot.

Christine

beige member
HSC
lillaila, the best thing you can do at the moment is talk to your parents, and see your GP.

if u can't do that, i suggest you try your local area health service, they have free counselling and alike and its all confidential.

good luck.

p.m. me if u want to talk

oh and about the medications, the side effects really aren't that bad. I take efexor for my depression, but it is a common drug for OCD. sometimes i get a little nauseos but thats it.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Well done lilliala. I don't even know you but Im so proud of you! To tell someone must have been the hardest thing, but its a sign that your not going to let this thing beat you! Its good that your teacher was willing to lend a supportive ear, you obviously trusted him/her enough to tell them.
Take the advice..........see the counsellor. The longer you put it off the longer it will bug you. Im sure as soon as you get some help you will think 'why didn't I do this earlier?!!'
As for the parents finding out about medication and stuff Im assuming your over 16 so anything you see the doctor for in totally confidential. Anyway, your parents should be supportive of anythin that is helping you!!

Anyway, again well done, I respect anyone who was as brave as you and is taking control!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)