Ocean Vuong on English Paper 1 (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Excerpts from Ocean Vuong's On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous made an appearance in English Paper 1. In The Guardian today, there is an article about Vuong bombarded on social media and some of his responses to comments made. This is not the first time that an author whose work is used in an HSC English exam has been abused online.

icycledough

HSC
As you mentioned, a similar thing happened in 2017 with an Indigenous author called Ellen van Neerven with one of her poems called Mango. Regardless, it's still definitely unacceptable for the way some students have reacted to it.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
As you mentioned, a similar thing happened in 2017 with an Indigenous author called Ellen van Neerven with one of her poems called Mango. Regardless, it's still definitely unacceptable for the way some students have reacted to it.

You are correct.

And I am confused, because when I typed the post, I added a comment that I thought the article was worth reading - there are some clever replies by Vuong - but I also added a reminder / request to remember there is an individual behind a social media account or an account here, etc, and treating others with decency is something we should strive for at all times.

Jojofelyx

HSC
Ngl, his whole instagram reel had me in tears, his reaction to all of it was honestly some of the funniest stuff ive seen lmfao. i think it was also amplified by the genuine horror and confusion of some of the kids in response to his text too lol, absolutely loved it. Ocean seems to have taken it like a champ, altho still, the people who are actually hating on him are just pure idiots

hatterene

HSC
i dont understand why year 12 thought it was okay to bully him off of Instagram just because they failed their exam?? like what?

thatnormster

HSC
dumb bitches, blame yourself if you flunk da test lmao. good on ocean Vcong for taking it like a champ, he's a phenomenal writer. that book that everyone's bitching about made me tear up not because of frustration but because it was genuinely beautiful. people don't know how to appreciate things anymore lol.

HSC
dumb bitches, blame yourself if you flunk da test lmao. good on ocean Vcong for taking it like a champ, he's a phenomenal writer. that book that everyone's bitching about made me tear up not because of frustration but because it was genuinely beautiful. people don't know how to appreciate things anymore lol.
do you expect a bunch of people who have been forced to study English, who collectively hate english and anything associated with it, to appreciate it?

Leadmen4y

HSC
it's funny coz rather than blaming themselves on not studying/putting effort which led to them failing the exam they blame it on ppl like authors of texts and NESA lmao

fnsndgfg

HSC
it's funny coz rather than blaming themselves on not studying/putting effort which led to them failing the exam they blame it on ppl like authors of texts and NESA lmao
Yeah exactly, people are so ready to complain and argue rather than just focusing on what they can actually control

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)