October Round offers + STAT test Question. (1 Viewer)

moc2009

HSC
N/A

How will the decision be made on whether an offer to study at Macquarie is given?

STAT results will be included in a selection process which also considers your ATAR and any additional study.
It sounds like the will just combine it (which can only be a good thing). You got a decent STAT score, and that alone would get you in, now you have a UAI to add to it too. It can only make it better.

I had no UAI at all and still got in on STAT alone.

Trust me, you’ll be fine. It’s only the wait that’s the horrible part.

Skitzzor

HSC
I gave MQ another call this morning and asked them basically wether or not people attempting to gain entry into a course via alternative entry were put with applicants attempting to gain entry via a UAI/ATAR and he put me on hold for about 3 minutes and then came back and told me that they actually do and that the STAT score is indeed converted to an ATAR, he also said it was a 1:1 ratio. Which is bad for me because that puts me just under the cut-off for Bachelor of Arts - Psychology. I really hope I'm wrong though Moc. If you're sure you're right please give MQ a call and see what you can find out and let me know. I hate this waiting game.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Well that’s not good if their doing it that way. If they are then I think it’s only fair they tell you their conversion method, or are they taking your STAT percentile as your ATAR? 1:1, is that what you mean, are they saying if you get a STAT percentile of 75% then they are going to make your ATAR 75%?

If so, that’s not really fair as even the ACER website (people who conduct the STAT) say that the Percentile is not the same as a UAI/ATAR as they are different ranks and tests.

I’m not sure how MQ will go about it, look at it or convert it, as they have only started using STAT this year (they never accepted it before). All the other Unis that take it take it as a STAT score (except some of the WA ones).

Maybe MQ is going down the line of the WA ones, but for them you need to do both STAT's (MC and WE) which makes it a bit fairer when coverting to an ATAR. Did you do both? Does MQ need both?

Skitzzor

HSC
I only did the multiple choice, and yeah your example of the 75% is what they're doing I think. My percentile rank 82.8 meaning in their eyes I have an ATAR of 82.8 I believe. It's an odd situation.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Well hopefully they will look at it differently and similar to other unis, otherwise it’s not fair.

In saying that, just come to ANU – you’ll walk in with that score (but you need the Written English STAT aswel), we are a Go8 University and have a great Psychology department, and you can do either the Bachelor of Science Psychology or Bachelor of Arts Psychology.

As a first year you are also guaranteed campus accommodation. :p

But either way, go for the one you want, and have some back up preferences.
At the end of the day, I still think you’ll get into the one you’re aiming for.

Skitzzor

HSC
I might look into that one, thanks mate.

Also, I just got off the phone with UAC and the woman I was speaking to seemed to know all about the STAT test, she didnt put me on hold to ask someone else, she seemed really knowledgable, and when I pitched the idea of a STAT mark being converted 1:1 for an ATAR she said "it's astonishing someone would give you information that is so wrong" and then proceeded to explain that even though I am competing against people with UAI/ATAR's, I'm also competing against people with other degrees etc for spots and that a STAT test score can't be converted to an ATAR. "A STAT test looks at your ability to look at things critically, where as the HSC looks at your understanding of a body of knowledge, and is tested over 2 years, as opposed to 2 hours, they are two completely seperate things and aren't interchangable" or something along those lines.

God I hope she was the right one.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
YAY, that sounds more like it.

Maybe because MQ have only started it this year is the reason they are giving out wrong info and don’t have a clue.

So, hoping that the UAC is right, and that it’s going to looked at like the majority of other Universities, then you should be fine.

Good luck and hope you get your preferences, you only have 2 – 3 months to wait. It’s horrible.

Skitzzor

HSC
Yeah hopefully, all I can do is sit and wait, I can't get the same answer from any two places. The whole thing makes no sense to me anymore, some people saying one thing others saying another. One thing though, if the woman at UAC was correct when she said uni's dont put aside places for people doing alternate entry schemes and I'm competing against those with an ATAR/UAI, those with degrees etc, it's made me think there has to be some sort of conversion method that puts all candidates from all areas on the one line, or they'd just be picking and choosing. I just don't know anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)