O'Farrell to Challenge Debnam (4 Viewers)

Scanorama

HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/ofarrell-to-challenge-debnam/2007/03/26/1174761336158.html
O'Farrell to challenge Debnam

Barry O'Farrell wants to take the leadership from Peter Debnam.
Photo: Dallas Kilponen

March 26, 2007 - 12:10PM

NSW Deputy Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell says he will stand for the state Liberal leadership.

Liberal leader Peter Debnam already has announced he will stand again for the leadership.

Mr O'Farrell is due to hold a press conference at 1pm (AEST) in the southern NSW city of Goulburn.

"I will announce my challenge at 1pm in Goulburn,'' he told The Australian newspaper's website.

The move comes after the Liberals failed to end 12 years of State Labor government in Saturday's election.

AAP

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
He's going to win as well, the Right only have 10 people in the party room.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
State politicians seem so hopeless. Where are the Carrs and Wrans? Anyone else feel tempted to fill this talent gap?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
And does anyone really care about state politics anymore? Seriously Liberal douchebags, no-one cares if Barry O'Farrell is going to take over for Debnam. No-one knew who Debnam was until a few weeks ago. Your party has nil influence in the state, and your politicians are a drab bunch of fools.

Last edited by a moderator:

Optophobia

HSC
Tulipa said:
Not really.
It was sarcasm :p

The state opposition are in the same position as the opposition are at a federal level. They are like sluts trying on new dresses in the hope of picking up.

"We didn't hook up when we were wearing that dress, lets try on a NEW dress!"

They don't realise that the job of opposition isn't to gain power.. It's to hold the party that is in power accountable and to act as an alternative if that party fails. Then, if the opposition gains power, the onus changes hands. The new party in power stays in power until it stuffs up majorly.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
And does anyone really care about state politics anymore? Seriously Liberal douchebags, no-one cares if Barry O'Farrell is going to take over for Debnam. No-one knew who Debnam was until a few weeks ago. Your party has nil influence in the state, and your politicians are a drab bunch of fools.
This post to the smh.com.au sums up my feelings about the state:

I voted Liberal. I have private health insurance. I send my kids to private schools. I rarely use public transport. If the public hospital using, public school using, public transport catching Labor voters are happy to live with the woeful state of these three services then so be it. Don't complain to me. I tried to help.....
I couldn't give a fuck about the state and how shit the public services are. I only use public transport at the moment and I won't touch that after university because of how shit it is.

As long as the government reduces taxes, that's all I care about.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Your party has nil influence in the state, and your politicians are a drab bunch of fools.
Almost as drab as Federal Labor..

Anthony Albanese, Stephen Smith, Julia Gillard and Wayne Swan to name a few..

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Iron said:
State politicians seem so hopeless. Where are the Carrs and Wrans? Anyone else feel tempted to fill this talent gap?
Who in their right mind, with any talent or ability, would forego an opportunity in Federal politics to pursue a career in state politics. The answer lies therein..

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not suprising.

Debnam had the chance to beat Labour, they failed.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
frog12986 said:
Who in their right mind, with any talent or ability, would forego an opportunity in Federal politics to pursue a career in state politics. The answer lies therein..
Well Carr and Wran for starters.
But it's all rather small fish in the broad scheme of things. Australia isnt significant. I guess there is a brain drain to the Cth in this global age of ours where local issues are played down.
I just think that it reflects on the type of people entering politics now. They're largely policy-wonks with no character, soul or poetry about them. Winning has become an end in itself, rather than believing in the platform.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
They're largely policy-wonks with no character, soul or poetry about them. Winning has become an end in itself, rather than believing in the platform.
Huh? That reads like a contradiction, in that "policy-wonks" are going to be more concerned with the platform than how they present themselves to the people (i.e. how they win elections).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Policy wonks in that they have not interest in the critical analysis/background etc of the policy - just cogs who wouldnt really know if they believed in it or not.
The cliche is banging on about whatever's in the opinion polls.

kokodamonkey

HSC
Is it still too late to go pleading to John Brodgan to make a comeback in politics + lead the party?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
frog said:
Considering that the control of services is administered primarily by state governments, it should be expected that members of a party who have a comparably higher dedication to the administration of services/welfare would want to go there. By comparison, in addition to the lack of administration that's involved with federal politics, the only reason that I can see for someone entering that arena would be for media coverage and fame. The reason likes therein...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)