• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Officeworks - 1 On 1 Interview? (1 Viewer)

onthebeatpete

HSC
N/A
hi everyone, i have an interview with officeworks coming up and was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what happens in the 2nd interview which is a 1 on 1 interview with the manager.
does anyone know what kinda questions they will ask or what i can expect.

thankyou:)

gna

HSC
"why did you apply for this job"
"give me a time when you have resolved a unhappy cust and turned it into a positive"
"how have you exceeded your role and going out of your way to helping a customer"

Collin

HSC
N/A
I think it somewhat depends on which department you'll be working in. When I went for my interview, I actually had two managers (but not at the same time) - Customer Service Manager and the Store Manager. They ask a bunch of questions based on a pre-set interview sheet written up by Head Office. Questions which may arise may be 'Can you recall a situation where you had to exhibit leadership?' etc. In general, you want to be charismatic, eloquent and clear when it comes to communications. In a retail job like like involving a heavy level of customer service, you must be able to assert yourself as a customer-oriented, good talker. If you can be like this, there's a good chance you'll be able to get in regardless of your previous work experiences. This point was verified by an Officeworks Manager herself, so trust me on this one and you'll have a better chance. Should also mention that this is especially critical if you're going for a Business Machines/Printworks/POS position.. especially BM since the focus of your position is to be able to sell technology (and tech is often by far the sector which contributes most to a store's gross sales). The second thing is availability. If you've got an outstanding work experience and is very good with customers, you still won't get picked if you can work 2-7pm on Tues, 1-6pm, Thurs and 8-2pm, Sat.. or something. You MUST have a GOOD availability. Ideal would obviously be 24/7.. but if you wanna get in, you should be able to tell the manager that you're absolutely free to work atleast 3-4 days a week, or say, all the afternoons etc. That gives you a MUCH better chance.
Also don't forget to dress the part. Smart casual should be sufficient, but I personally went in a suit.
I usually follow all these guidelines when going for a job interview.. and I've yet to fail one. Good luck!

onthebeatpete

HSC
N/A
thanks mate, yeah i'm a bit nervous cause i haven't had much customer service experience, but i enjoy working with computers etc. I put on my application that i'm available 24/7 which is maybe why i have got this far.
But the job i am going for isn't a specific one cause its a new store opening, so i think they said they were offering 20 positions. > casual, part time and full time.
I put down that i would like to work in BM, stationery and pos.
it would totally suck if i made it this far and didn't get offered a position.
cause i've done the online application, group interview, made it on the shortlist, then recieved a phone call, and now i have a 2nd interview.
so i'm just wondering how big the shortlist is :lol:

anyway, so they asked you a lot of questions or just a couple?
and just talked about the company?

cheers for your help tho mate

Last edited:

ZabZu

HSC
I had an interview at officeworks in late 2004 and i was interested mainly in the salesman job (business machines i think). The manager asked me heaps of questions about computers, printers, cameras, etc. The questions were preddy hard, so you really gotta know your technology if you want to make a great impression.

Collin

HSC
N/A
There were quite a few questions, but just answer clearly and make yourself seem like a person who's a good talker. Don't fidget, sit up straight and look at the manager in the eyes. I did my BM interview in early 05' and I remember there were only 6 technology related questions. Most of them were ridiculously hard, and for the ones which involved 'do you know what this means', I would answer truthfully if I didn't know and said 'No, I don't know." Well, I got in obviously and later found out that some of those questions were perhaps trick questions to test whether or not you would lie to exaggerate your knowledge!

onthebeatpete

HSC
N/A
oh right i see, thankyou very much for your help, thankyou as well ZabZu.
i'm not going for a specific job in particular so hopefully the questions might vary a bit.

onthebeatpete

HSC
N/A
hey, i got the job, thanks for you help everyone. now i have a "selling skills" training day coming up.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Congrats man. Which store? If you're in the tech department you often have to make calls to other stores to arrange STOs (you'll get trained for that stuff).. so we may even inadvertently encounter each other. Hah!

onthebeatpete

HSC
N/A
cheers ;) i'm gonna be in the printworks department.
did you have the selling skills day?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Nah man. Dunno if it's because I'm not in the Printworks department or because I started quite awhile ago.. but tell us what you do at the selling day. I know for my department we have regular 'training sessions' regarding various selling strategies, but I've never been to a 'selling skills day', except for this Rentsmart thing.

onthebeatpete

HSC
N/A
oh right, yeah sure will. i think it might be because its a new store opening?

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I just finished my 2 year stint at officeworks :)
Not because the ppl there were bad, but I felt it was time to move on.

The store manager bought me a cake and told me the door's always open if I ever need a job

I'm gonna miss selling all those laptops and mfc's :( but I least I don't have to feel guilty everytime I flog off one of those celeron desktops anymore :)

C

chu082011

I just finished my 2 year stint at officeworks :)
Not because the ppl there were bad, but I felt it was time to move on.

The store manager bought me a cake and told me the door's always open if I ever need a job

I'm gonna miss selling all those laptops and mfc's :( but I least I don't have to feel guilty everytime I flog off one of those celeron desktops anymore :)
Dear friends

Thanks for sharing. I like Officeworks - 1 On 1 Interview? very much.

Very useful for me.

If you want to do more info, you also visit at:Customer service supervisor interview questions

Rgs

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)