Votes: 32 21.9%
  • I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23118012-421,00.html

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd is racing to finalise a full-blown apology to Aboriginal people for the opening of Parliament.

In what would be a first, local Ngunnawal elders may also "welcome" the new Parliament to their traditional lands when federal MPs return to Canberra on February 12.

The Prime Minister has moved reconciliation to the top of his reform agenda as part of a concerted move to distance his government from the Howard legacy.

He told guests at the Lodge on Saturday night he wanted indigenous people to be "full participants" in society, rather than marginalised Australians.

But his plan to use the opening of Parliament - when the new Government traditionally outlines its reform agenda - to push a new compact with Aboriginal people will be controversial.

John Howard steadfastly refused to apologise to the stolen generation - a move that damaged race relations but gained the former Liberal leader widespread backing.

Many Coalition MPs are adamant that a hardline approach - rather than symbolic gestures - is the best way of dealing with indigenous policy. But Labor is equally determined to say "sorry" to the stolen generation, arguing it is necessary as part of the process to achieve full reconciliation.

Senior Government figures are working on plans to make the "sorry" declaration on February 12, when dozens of new MPs will formally take their seats in Parliament.

Mr Rudd again ruled out paying compensation, despite calls for $1 billion to be paid to Aboriginal people who were removed from their families as children.
Discuss!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

P P McGuinness died on Saturday, I'm too sad to care!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

Hmm, about time. I hope it doesn't spark off a whole heap of court battles.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

OH NOES! End of the world! Howard was right!

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Saying sorry not a priority - Opposition

THE public would question whether a formal apology to indigenous people should be a priority for federal parliament, Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson said today.

Dr Nelson said the new Labor Government appeared to be puttnig an apology ahead of rising petrol and grocery prices and interest rate hikes.

Commenting on reports that Prime Minister Kevin Rudd is planning to offer a formal apology to the generation of Aboriginals forcibly removed as children from their families, Dr Nelson said there were bigger issues for the Government.

It is expected Mr Rudd will apologise when federal parliament resumes on February 12.

Dr Nelson said all Australians should be consulted - not just Aboriginal groups - before any apology.

"Whatever the attitude of Australians towards this generation apologising for things done by earlier generations, you really have got to ask yourself is this the highest priority for the Australian parliament," Dr Nelson said.

The Opposition would seek details of Mr Rudd's proposal and discuss it next week.

Dr Nelson said that, personally, he had a "bit of concern about the idea that one generation should be held responsible for things that happened in the past".

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23120217-5001028,00.html
so right:apig:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

chicky_pie said:
so right:apig:
LOL

a) Petrol prices
b) Grocery prices
c) Rising interest rates

I also caught him on the ABC complaining that the government may means-test the baby bonus payments along with family tax benefits.

What a bloody clown!

dey-tuk-re-jobz

cute mc-Cat-ney
HSC

Very good news. Long overdue.

If the US won't give reparations to it's citizens, I doubt the Aboriginal community will have any luck here.

jimmayyy

HSC

ergh, horrible. fucking knew this would happen, massive reason i didn't vote for him.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

Wooz said:
Hmm, about time. I hope it doesn't spark off a whole heap of court battles.
qft

HalcyonSky

HSC

this is insulting. I hope he makes it clear his appology is on behalf of himself and the government but not the australian people

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

zimmerman8k said:
i hope...no wait i dont. i dont give a flying fuck what he says. talk is cheap.
Unless he's talking about money going into my top pocket, I honestly don't care.

Muz4PM

HSC

http://www.bigpond.com/news/breaking/content/20080128/2148258.asp

Tuckey labelled racist over Indigenous dance comments
January 28, 2008 - 6:39PM
Source: ABC

Queensland Aboriginal activist Sam Watson has branded Western Australian Liberal MP Wilson Tuckey an "extremist racist" over his comments on Indigenous dancers.
Mr Tuckey has criticised reports traditional owners will dance at the opening of Federal Parliament next month, when it is speculated the Federal Government may make a formal apology to the Stolen Generations.
Mr Tuckey says it is not what Parliament is for.
"I'm horrified and concerned that we're going to turn the Parliament of Australia into a dance parlour," he said.
"But at the moment it's starting to indicate what the Rudd Government's going to be all about, show and not substance.
"Why not put neon signs on the top of Parliament, you know dances every friday night."
But Mr Watson says it is only fitting that the local traditional owners are invited.
"Wilson Tuckey really should take a leaf out of John Howard's book and disappear into the sunset," he said.
"He really can't offer the Australia of 2008, or the Australia that lies before us, he can't offer us anything.
"So Mr Tuckey and his extremist racist views really do belong to another generation."

Evilo

HSC

who labelled him a racist? i will personally show them my knuckles or pursuasion....

HSC

jb_nc said:
a) Petrol prices
Blame USA and China. Rudd doesn't influence the oil usage there.

jb_nc said:
b) Grocery prices
Demand has already outstripped supply, once again, nothing to do with K-Rudd, nothing he can do about it.

Also, largely due to richer people in China and India buying more food & buying more imported food. Also indirectly affected by the rising oil prices.

jb_nc said:
c) Rising interest rates
The legacy of the Howard government's idiotic policies, plus serious economic problems in the USA, due to their government's inability to run the economy.

Again, nothing to do with Kevin Rudd.

Not much - if anything - can be done in regards to any of these problems, these problems which every government on the planet faces. They can have no national solution, and probably no international ones either.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

Starcraftmazter said:

Demand has already outstripped supply, once again, nothing to do with K-Rudd, nothing he can do about it.

Also, largely due to richer people in China and India buying more food & buying more imported food. Also indirectly affected by the rising oil prices.

The legacy of the Howard government's idiotic policies, plus serious economic problems in the USA, due to their government's inability to run the economy.

Again, nothing to do with Kevin Rudd.

Not much - if anything - can be done in regards to any of these problems, these problems which every government on the planet faces. They can have no national solution, and probably no international ones either.
THANKS FOR DIS POST. DID NOT KNOW THAT. OH SO INFORMATIVE.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

Possible criticism of Kevin Rudd in thread number one-six-four-four-four-nine! Kevin Rudd defence zealots: mobilise!

Don't bother to read the post you're quoting, just defend Kevin Rudd nonsensically!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

starcraftmazter said:
Blame peak oil. DAMN YOU OIL! *shakes fist*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)