Official BOS 2006 Project Showcase (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls (always wanted to say that),

This is officially the first Official BOS History Extension Showcase - could '06ers please post up their completed projects!

Checklist:

1. Attachments are preferable. To attach a file to a post, click New Post (as if you were posting a message), type your message in, and go down to Manage Attachments. There, you upload the file from your computer. Don't stick the whole essay in a post! If you have trouble, send me a Personal Message or an email at rob.p@optusnet.com.au and I can upload it on your behalf.

2. Submit as much as you can: the Proposal, the Synopsis, the Essay, the Annotated Biblio, and the Process Log (if you typed it up).

3. If possible, please keep everything in the same file, I'd love if you could put the proposal and synopsis in the beginning of the essay, and the annotated biblio at the end. If you typed up your Process Log, stick that in at the end, as well. Having three files per message can be annoying... If you can't combine them, don't worry about it, and just upload them all.

4. Please put your title and the mark, if you've got it, in the body of the message. Also put in anything else that you feel is relevant, maybe a more personal comment, and other things that you couldn't put in the proposal.

5. I'd recommend doing this after you've submitted it to your school, due to issues with security. If you feel unsure, leave it until your marks are back. I understand that some people haven't even started their Projects, yet, but starting this early is better than having lots of unofficial threads floating around the place.

6. I'm going to go through and collect some of the already uploaded essays from '06; the ones on BOS forum and resources, not the ones personally sent to me for criticism.

7. This isn't a thread for critiques or advice - completed projects only! - if you need help, create a new thread in the Project Forum.

I won't start uploading some of the projects into this thread immediately, as to give some people time to do it themselves.
Thanks.
That's all. :)

Rob / pwaryuex

A post script: I'm sure none of you have considered stealing someone's work, but I feel that I need to say something about it. Firstly, we all know that plagiarism is wrong because it's stealing from someone, but also lying to your teachers about your own work. It's also not helpful to you in the long run. Secondly, thieving does get caught - trust me when I say that a lot of teachers browse this site and download the attachments. It's worth such a big portion, so don't potentially ruin your HSC and UAI by cheating! If you're severely behind with your work, and are worried about your deadline, let us know so we can help!

------------------------

List of projects submitted so far:

- Mel_b : Rwanda,

- timbr0' : essay on Greece in WW2,

- bobness : postmodern thought, optimism, and the Reagan administration,

- smoke_o_clock : interpretations of Stalin,

- captain249 : Roman Senate and Julius Caesar,

- The Brucemaster : Masada and skeletal discoveries,

- dancin_dollie : Beethoven and his political context,

- Mrs.McDreamy : Censorship in the 1954 Guatemalan government, and how government can distort records,

- black_tongue : Salem Witch Trials,

- ari89 : Alexander.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mel_b

HSC
Oooh. I'm the first one. Cool.

Well, this is my major work on the Rwandan Genocide. I got 29/30. My question was: "To what extent was the international response to the Rwandan Genocide dictated by national interest?" The file has my proposal, synposis, essay and footnotes, bibliography and one of my source annotations (I think the other 2 are on another computer :/). In that order.

There were, I believe, 3 30s in my group of about 20 EE2 students, we were all clustered between 24 and 30.

I'm really looking forward to reading everyone else's!

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Well here is my project, its on Greece in WWII - did their efforts have a role in the Allied Victory in Europe? How have they been recognised and how has this changed overtime?

Its a very interesting topic area, for me anyway :p but it was very difficult to find any sources here in Australia, so I lost the motivation to actually do the project. Anyway, I ended up rushing it and got it done in the last few days. I don't think I answered my question that well, also it was a toss up between “What role did Greece play in the outcome of World War II in Europe?” and "To what extent has Greece's WWII wartime contributions been recognised?" Maybe the second one would have suited my essay better.

Ended up with 20.5/40, which I think is pretty crap.

The attachment includes my proposal, synopsis, essay with footnotes, and annotated bibliography.

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Lol my focus question was "How has the post-modern context of historians affected the way they write about Reagan’s role in America in the 1980s (with focus on ‘restoring psychological optimism’)?"

I received 39/40 for this with four others in our class

I wonder if anybody else will be sending their essays off to HTA in competition for that annual prize of $500? I wish my one could be entered but i think it'll go to another two in our class :(

Haha and i went slightly (10%) over the word limit for my essay :eek:. if i didn't have footnotes i'd have been even more screwed.

Last edited:

smoke_o_clock

HSC
This is my major work. Me, being the dickhead that i am, left it until the absolute last minute. It didnt turn out terrible, but i know i couldve done alot better. let me know what you think though, id love to get some feedback. it's about changing interpretations of Stalin.

captain249

HSC
Here is mine, i did the question a like a HSC style question. It's:

Analyse and Compare the contrasting attitudes of the Roman Senate towards Julius Caesar from his first consulship in 59BC, to his assassination in 44BC.

I got 39/40 for this which im happy with, there was a 38 then low 30s and down after that so it was a spread a bit in my class

Yeah im thinking of puttin mine in the HTA thingy but its about double the length of what the syllabus want so it will be agony to chop down......we'll c.

ENJOY

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
captain249 said:
Here is mine, i did the question a like a HSC style question. It's:

Analyse and Compare the contrasting attitudes of the Roman Senate towards Julius Caesar from his first consulship in 59BC, to his assassination in 44BC.

I got 39/40 for this which im happy with, there was a 38 then low 30s and down after that so it was a spread a bit in my class

Yeah im thinking of puttin mine in the HTA thingy but its about double the length of what the syllabus want so it will be agony to chop down......we'll c.

ENJOY
Err...could u do that as a history extension major project...its a bit close to the Fall of the Roman Republic topic of ancient history..

X

xeuyrawp

ari89 said:
Err...could u do that as a history extension major project...its a bit close to the Fall of the Roman Republic topic of ancient history..
Yeah, there's been a lot of discussion about this. The bottom line that it is the school's choice what the student can and cannot do, whether or not it's against the should-be Board rules.

Anyway, could everyone please try to complete the checklist that I've put up, namely, putting up the entire project (proposal, synopsis, essay, bibliography), as well as putting up your marks? Eg smoke_o_clock: Can you put up the rest of your project, and tell us what you got?

Thanks heaps everybody, keep them coming! :)

captain249

HSC
ari89 said:
Yeah our school decided that since it wasn't a topic that the school is doin that i was allowed to do it. thats what i thought the rule was and was only relying on the content of the school's courses not on the board.

HSC
Thread Revival!!

Ok here's my project on Masada and the controversy surrounding the skeletal discoveries. One Australian journalist is of the opinion that one of the skeletons was in fact Jesus Christ (best source for analysis ever) so it's interesting reading if you have the time.

For some reason our teacher marked it out of 60 and i got 56 and she's submitting it for the HTA prize.

Other than that enjoy!

HSC
Mine was generally "To what extent was Beethoven's music influenced by the political turmoil of his era and what was his impact on music history"; i can't remember the exact title. I got 36/40 for it. There's only 2 in my class.

black_tongue

HSC
This was my assignment, perhaps a bit late putting it up compared to everyone else, but i'm sure it will be of help to later years.

My question was 'Assess the differing historical perspectives on the causation of the Salem Witch Trials of 1692'. The file has everything in it bar my project log, not that i ever had that much in it, on account of my essay was written in the three days leading up to the date it was due. (I have a large tendency to leave things to the last minute, i completed my VA BOW in 2 weeks...)

I ended up with 3/5 for the synopsis (Apparently i used to much 'I' in my synopsis and that's where i lost marks...), 17/20 for the essay and 4/5 for the source analysis. I'm not sure why mine was marked out of 30 and not 40 like everyone else seems to have been...?

Hope this is helpful, and perhaps put a link in the resources page to this so that future students know where they can find some examples?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
This is like the final draft of my history ext major project...i lost the final since I completed it at school on my USB which presence escapes me at this time.

Its title was really dodgie and bland "An Investigation Into Historical Interpretations and Methedology Using the Recurring Historical Character of Alexander the Great" lol thats so long and over explanatory

anyway here it is:

Last edited:

stine03

HSC
heyy. iv been searching around but cant find any actual logbook or even logbook entries, please post even one would be helpful
or if you can please direct me to an actual logboko or logbook entry?
would be much appreciated.
thank you =)

singh in tune

HSC
Hi, im doin my major work on why stonehenge was built?
do u know of any gud sites and historians or past research i could have a look at..

PwarYuex said:
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls (always wanted to say that),

This is officially the first Official BOS History Extension Showcase - could '06ers please post up their completed projects!

Checklist:

1. Attachments are preferable. To attach a file to a post, click New Post (as if you were posting a message), type your message in, and go down to Manage Attachments. There, you upload the file from your computer. Don't stick the whole essay in a post! If you have trouble, send me a Personal Message or an email at rob.p@optusnet.com.au and I can upload it on your behalf.

2. Submit as much as you can: the Proposal, the Synopsis, the Essay, the Annotated Biblio, and the Process Log (if you typed it up).

3. If possible, please keep everything in the same file, I'd love if you could put the proposal and synopsis in the beginning of the essay, and the annotated biblio at the end. If you typed up your Process Log, stick that in at the end, as well. Having three files per message can be annoying... If you can't combine them, don't worry about it, and just upload them all.

4. Please put your title and the mark, if you've got it, in the body of the message. Also put in anything else that you feel is relevant, maybe a more personal comment, and other things that you couldn't put in the proposal.

5. I'd recommend doing this after you've submitted it to your school, due to issues with security. If you feel unsure, leave it until your marks are back. I understand that some people haven't even started their Projects, yet, but starting this early is better than having lots of unofficial threads floating around the place.

6. I'm going to go through and collect some of the already uploaded essays from '06; the ones on BOS forum and resources, not the ones personally sent to me for criticism.

7. This isn't a thread for critiques or advice - completed projects only! - if you need help, create a new thread in the Project Forum.

I won't start uploading some of the projects into this thread immediately, as to give some people time to do it themselves.
Thanks.
That's all. :)

Rob / pwaryuex

A post script: I'm sure none of you have considered stealing someone's work, but I feel that I need to say something about it. Firstly, we all know that plagiarism is wrong because it's stealing from someone, but also lying to your teachers about your own work. It's also not helpful to you in the long run. Secondly, thieving does get caught - trust me when I say that a lot of teachers browse this site and download the attachments. It's worth such a big portion, so don't potentially ruin your HSC and UAI by cheating! If you're severely behind with your work, and are worried about your deadline, let us know so we can help!

------------------------

List of projects submitted so far:

- Mel_b : Rwanda,

- timbr0' : essay on Greece in WW2,

- bobness : postmodern thought, optimism, and the Reagan administration,

- smoke_o_clock : interpretations of Stalin,

- captain249 : Roman Senate and Julius Caesar,

- The Brucemaster : Masada and skeletal discoveries,

- dancin_dollie : Beethoven and his political context,

- Mrs.McDreamy : Censorship in the 1954 Guatemalan government, and how government can distort records,

- black_tongue : Salem Witch Trials,

- ari89 : Alexander.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)