Okay, So what is a reflection? (1 Viewer)

noturningback

HSC
Hey
I recently got back my essay for Paper 2 Part 2, and of course in the usual manner, the marker has left a huge amount of input, constructive criticism and suggests on where to improve in an empty blank space on the paper (i.e. none)
My main problem however is that I am unsure on how to exactly write a reflection. I know this reflects poorly on me as a student, I spend my time learning themes, thesis' and techniques rather than different forms of writing. Spending countless hours developing content knowledge has done nothing to raise my marks above mediocre so maybe the only thing that can be 'studied' for English is relatively less helpful things such as what a reflection exactly entails.

My understanding was that it begins with a statement of your knowledge of the module prior to study, and then a series of paragraphs explaining and demonstrating how the texts have shaped your understanding before concluding with a statement summarizing your new understanding as a result of the text's influence.

What am I missing here? Am i completely wrong?

Edit:
Also, what is the precise structure to follow for a speech?
I have googled and searched the site for threads explaining the possible writing forms required for paper 2 and have not found anything. If anyone could point me to a thread or website (surely there must be one) with this information, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

absorber

HSC
Dunno what trial it was, but we had the same question on 'reflections'. We've gone over it in class, and I think basically it's almost like a diary-type thing where you demonstrate a gradual change in your understanding of the text(s) in each reflection, from superficial to more complex and insightful.

On speeches, I've always just written them as essays, though in the context of english, perhaps add in a little bit of dialogue with the audience, or integrate verbal mannerisms into your work. At least, that's what I've done in the past

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)