Olympiad Math Camp (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if they got in?

Does anyone from the previous years know what they do at the camp? Do you learn new math? such as? Do you just keep solving problems?

p.s. Does anyone have any questions from the previous junior UNSW math comp, i cant find them any where?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kurt.physics said:

Does anyone from the previous years know what they do at the camp? Do you learn new math? such as? Do you just keep solving problems?

p.s. Does anyone have any questions from the previous junior UNSW math comp, i cant find them any where?
You should just buy some books that have them.

Affinity

HSC
kurt.physics said:

You learn quite a bit... before you go to the camp you get a set of 30ish questions so you have a feel of the standards required.

you start each morning with a 4 hour AMO/IMO like test.. except the first day, which is an AIME (multiple choice, 999 choices for eqach question).

then classes run in the afternoon till dinner at 6, then another 2 hours reviewing what you did in the morning.

after that it's free time..

There are also 1-2 B sessions (where you get the problem before and discuss, but write out solutions individually) and 1 E session (team competition)

Topics covered:

Classical number theory (modular arithmetic, residuals, fermats little theorem, wilsons theorem etc.)
Inequalities
Polynomials (in particular, integral coefficient polynomials, factorization over rationals etc)
graph theory
general combinatorics.
euclidean geometry
other topics.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
You learn quite a bit... before you go to the camp you get a set of 30ish questions so you have a feel of the standards required.

you start each morning with a 4 hour AMO/IMO like test.. except the first day, which is an AIME (multiple choice, 999 choices for eqach question).

then classes run in the afternoon till dinner at 6, then another 2 hours reviewing what you did in the morning.

after that it's free time..

There are also 1-2 B sessions (where you get the problem before and discuss, but write out solutions individually) and 1 E session (team competition)

Topics covered:

Classical number theory (modular arithmetic, residuals, fermats little theorem, wilsons theorem etc.)
Inequalities
Polynomials (in particular, integral coefficient polynomials, factorization over rationals etc)
graph theory
general combinatorics.
euclidean geometry
other topics.
Thanks alot for this, its cleared up alot of my questions. But would it be to much to ask, do you still have your sheet (I presume you went) of the 30ish question you get before hand? And if so, would you be able to P.M. them to me or post them?

Also, how much of those topics mentioned do you have to know before you get to can, like should you already have a pretty good understanding of all of them.

edit: Just looking over it again, these camps must be really intense!

Affinity

HSC
the december camp is slightly less intense than the april one.

don't have that sheet .. but it's usually a mix between AMC like questions and AIMO.

It's more raw aptitude that they are looking for rather than knowledge. That said many people does have substantial background. occasionally there are freaks. If you got invited don't worry.. you will be ok. If you want an invite.. you need to do well in AMOC senior, AMO or AIMO if you are in year 10 or below.

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
If you got invited don't worry.. you will be ok. If you want an invite.. you need to do well in AMOC senior, AMO or AIMO if you are in year 10 or below.
I was not invited this year as i didn't participate in the AIMO (in in year 9), so i am just asking these questions as i am going to train myself to the level necessary to get to the camp (and hopefully the IMO =P) . So i am going to participate in the AMC, AIMO and UNSW math comp in hope that i can make the camp.

Here is my training routine for the next holidays and next year, comment if you will Affinity.

Currently I am learning all of the year 11 Mathematics extension 1 (and 2U) material, i am mostly finished.

I will them move on to practicing the AMC junior (yes junior, and my reasons are that if i can build up my strengths on the junior then i will work my way to intermediate then senior, its not that i can to it already, its just that i need to practice jumping to the penultimate step, for example i was doing one of the AMC senior question 30 and i had all the logic and (it was geometry) all the lines connected correctly, but my diagram failed me as it was messy and i didnt see the final step (even though i worked exactly the same as that step).

In parallel with doing the AMC papers, i will be working through all the enrichment courses and just learning their material.

I will also be working through these books, "The art and craft of problem solving", "Geometry revisited" and "Invitation to number theory".

I will then proceed to do some past AIMO papers when it comes time.

After all the tests have been done (ie AMC, AIMO and UNSW math) i will do some revision and start on "Problem-Solving Strategies" in between the end of the tests and camp (if i make it =P).

So what do you think?

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
everyone has different hobbies :p

as long as he takes some time to fit some physics in there too
Ha, thats funny. Although... i am planing to do the NQE in physics next year to hopefully make the camp :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)