OMG 34 hours left!! WHO WILL WIN AND WHO WILL BE BEATEN BY THEIR PARENTS! (1 Viewer)

super mod

I'm really not looking forward to recieving my marks...not for my sake, but for my parents....they are either going to be very happy and allow for a good christmas or wallow into a heap of misery at ponder on a year lost!! they have no idea of how i am going to go but are a bit skeptical at the mark of 95 that i have told them that i could achieve all year...at least!! Well anything under that mark will only allow for feelings of disappointment and frustration but i think if i manage to crack the 98 mark then the car ive always longed for will come my way...FINGERS CROSSED...

What are the reactions you are expecting from parents and friends?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
my version of winning is 99+ ... anything else is a bonus for me ... my parents will be happy if i got that ... anything below that will be little blow at my pride ... but my parents will understand (i think) ... anyway ... i know heaps of people who are going to beat me however well i do ...

jennals

I've kinda come to terms with myself. I've done the 'best' that I could all year and what I get is what I get. If I get into UTS or UNSW - I'll consider myself extremely lucky (doubtful tho). If not, well... I just got sent a letter from UOW confirming a guaranteed position in graphic design and new media (regardless of my UAI :D ) after my interview so I suppose it's a good situation to be in.

Well'p, at least I got in somewhere...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I agree, I did the best I possibly could have done in the HSC and that is why I will accept the UAI I ultimately get. My parents respect that and consequently have no real expectations of the mark I will get.

As long as they know I've put in my best, they are happy with that.

Like flyin, my idea of winning would be to get a UAI of 99.5+ and my idea of losing would be to get a UAI lower than 99 (high expectations I know).

hornet

High expectations hey :)

As for me, yeah I tried my best throughout the year, so I am not cursed with thoughts like "what if i had done better" or "what if i had put a little more effort in" etc, which is a nice thing. That said, that wont protect me from getting a uai lower than what I want, it will only soften the blow to some extent. hmm. Though recieving a letter from unsw the other day saying i got into the access scheme makes it all a lot nicer, big ass safety net for me and my mark. Makes me even more eager to get the mark, with less nervousness. Bring it on!

Winning for me is =>90, and losing is <85. 85-90 is the "yeah ok cool I am in" area, but =>90 is the "owned!!!" side of things.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Ah, I don't care anymore. I'm not going to think about it because I'd get in somewhere anyway...
Anything 98 and above will be fine.
My parents aren't even here. I'd have to tell them personally the score. :worried:
I put a sense of pessimism into my parents so they'll be happy with a lower score.

schwang_thang

Originally posted by BlackJack

I put a sense of pessimism into my parents so they'll be happy with a lower score.
hehe yeah thats wat i did as well...i told them (n just abt every1 else that asked me) that i didnt go so well. i dno wat im gonna get, hopefully >94, but if i didnt get it then at least every1 wouldnt b disappointed or wateva 4 me...

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
10 grand!!! I wish my dad was that generous!!

As for my parents, they don't care what i get because they know how much i studied and are just happy that i finished 13 years of school!!! Where they were born completing school was mostly for the rich and extrmely lucky!!!

The don't want me to fail of course but they are quite confident of me getting a UAI in the 80's:(

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I'm expecting a UAI in the mid 80s. Unfortunately, my sister got a UAI in the mid 90s 2 years ago...and I think they are expecting a repeat from me.:( I've told them many times not to get their hopes up, but I think they just think I'm being modest.
If I get in the 80s, I won't be disappointed at all, ( I won't get into my course of choice, but I'll be proud of the UAI.) but I think my parents will be surprised...they won't get angry though. (I sure hope not, anyway.:( )

I don't know what my friends expect from me...not many of them did that much study because they either aren't going to UNI or only need low UAIs for their course of choice, and I did lots study at the end, so a few of them were like "Wow-with all that you'll get a 99 for sure!"
I think they don't realise that thats the amount of time LOTS of students were putting in...and more!

super mod

yeh well after you get your UAI post it up on here so we can see if you actually got what you predicted or hoped for!

btw..no one did their best technically...doing your best would mean studying everys ingle minute that you are not asleep which is quite impossible but technically the term for doing everything you could.....so the best we can say is that we did the best that we let ourselves do.

afnya

id be stoked with anythin over 70 actually ill be stoked if i get into any of my uni courses i think the lowest was about 65

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
95 plus would be handy... i think 98, 99+ are high expectations, but it all depends on yr preffered courses and emphasis on academic expectations, how much you worked or thought you worked, etc, etc...

GJ_JOE

blood brother
being from an asian background, my parents have ridiculous expectations (they never even got a proper education!)....anyway, a guy who works with my dad was telling me how his son didn't get a high enough UAI to get into uni (now doing mechanical engineering at TAFE) and how his other son didn't like school so he got into a trade after yr 10....man, i wish my parents were more like that and would realise it isn't a walk in the park to get 90+

schwang_thang

Originally posted by GJ_JOE
being from an asian background, my parents have ridiculous expectations (they never even got a proper education!)....anyway, a guy who works with my dad was telling me how his son didn't get a high enough UAI to get into uni (now doing mechanical engineering at TAFE) and how his other son didn't like school so he got into a trade after yr 10....man, i wish my parents were more like that and would realise it isn't a walk in the park to get 90+
i rekon aye! asian parents r so obsessed with doing well at school, esp. maths 4 sum reason.

the other day i was waiting on the post office queue with my mum n we happened 2 b standing next 2 a vietnamese woman who started making convo with my mum. my mum told her i was in yr 12 n immediately the woman, who we'd never met b4, asked if i was doing 4u maths!!! like...WTF! talk abt obsession

chait

my parents say they'll be pleased with whatever mark i get. my dad keeps telling me that there are more important things in life than the HSC. i feel a bit guilty for not working as hard as i could have.

goodluck pplz... don't forget to check out the excuses for uais page! might come in handy

chait

Originally posted by schwang_thang

i rekon aye! asian parents r so obsessed with doing well at school, esp. maths 4 sum reason.

the other day i was waiting on the post office queue with my mum n we happened 2 b standing next 2 a vietnamese woman who started making convo with my mum. my mum told her i was in yr 12 n immediately the woman, who we'd never met b4, asked if i was doing 4u maths!!! like...WTF! talk abt obsession
i'm asian.. my parents are nothing like that.. they don't pressure me or anything. like they don't tell me i have to get over 90 or whatever.. they just tell me to give it my best. guess my parents are kinda lenient compared to the stereotype of asian parents

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)