On the Jellicoe Road (1 Viewer)

klaris

HSC
I wanna read it now. I've tried it before and it was a completely different writing style to Alibrandi, and it was also confusing but now I want to give it another go.

Plodygon

HSC
It's probably one of the best books I've ever read. Although I enjoyed Looking For Alibrandi and Saving Francesca, this one seemed to have so much more depth and mystery about it. The characters, though at times a little unrealistic, were really funny and interesting. I absolutely loved it, and would recommend it to anyone.

Incidently, has anyone read Melina Marchetta's latest book, Finnikin of the Rock? This is the one that I didn't think was quite up to scratch.

Last edited:

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I cannot get into this book at all! Does it get any better? Should I just return it to the library? Melina Marchetta's writing is so different in it!
This book is really good. I was confused at first, how the percpectives keep changing but once you reach the middle you are hooked. It's worth it to keep reading.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
This book is really good. I was confused at first, how the percpectives keep changing but once you reach the middle you are hooked. It's worth it to keep reading.
Yeah I only fully understood it after reading it a second time

klaris

HSC
OK, thank you x.christina because if it wasn't for the wrap you gave this book I wouldn't've picked it up.
Luckily, I did. I must admit, at first the only feeling I had for this novel was contempt. WHY was it so confusing? And the italics? WTF?
But, nevertheless, I read it and -- barring 1984 -- it is the best book I've read all year long and trust me, a book has to be amazing to get that title from me.
The plot was so intricate and the characters so like-able and real. Marchetta's writing style has improved greatly since Alibrandi and I don't know what one of her books will come out on top. Alibrandi, Francesca or Jellicoe?
Thanks again everyone for describing this book with such passion that I felt compelled to read it because now that I have it is fantastic

HSC
I loooved On The Jellicoe Road... I didn't get it at first... but don't worry it all clicks later! It has suuuch a good twist. Made me cry lol.

klaris

HSC
Awesome! I hope they don't butcher the movie. But the script is being written by her so I don't think it will be anything but amazing. Her writing style hits so close to home and its unique so I'd say it will be good.

oceangirl31

HSC
sorry, update. finished it and loved it!! :)
agreed its gr8 its so well written i love books where u can really connect with the characters

i love saving Francesca the best as the group of girls remind me so much of some of my friends

merlina marchetta is writing the film script for on the jellicoe road...

thats gr8 news i know theres been a movie version of looking 4 alibrandi but has anyone seen one for saving Francesca ?

that song blue river is awesome i love it my dad used to play it to send me to sleep (thats not saying its a boring tune but a relaxing and peaceful one)

Last edited:

oceangirl31

HSC
Incidently, has anyone read Melina Marchetta's latest book, Finnikin of the Rock? This is the one that I didn't think was quite up to scratch.
i have
i thought it was goodish but not my fave

magestic angel

HSC
i love saving Francesca the best as the group of girls remind me so much of some of my friends
lol blue river is awesome
am i one of those group of friends? who do i remind u of?
bitch spice stupid spice butch spice or slut spice?
answer in my new thread

klaris

HSC
Marchetta said that she struggled with writing Jellicoe as a film script or as a novel.

Obviously she chose novel.

The first time I watched Alibrandi I thought: 'This is horrible compared to the book' and I didn't watch it again for about three months.

But then I watched it again and I promised myself I wouldn't compare the two. I would just watch the movie as it is, without trying to say 'Oh but they left out this and that...'

I realised that is probably the best way to watch movies when they are being based on books.

I thought the movie was 100x better when I watched it the second time.

I am just hoping they don't butcher Jellicoe (if it will be made)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)