On the topic of University Transfers... (1 Viewer)

ambrose1

HSC
Hi guys
i'm sorry if this a bit off topic but i just need some peace of mind.
i noticed that at the very beginning of this thread there is some useful information with a pdf document that has evrything that you could possibly want to know about transfers.
i was just wondering if this information is still applicable and counts for all universities, cos i've heard that each uni dose it differently.
for reference i'm a 1st year at newcastle and want to transfer to ANU next year and got a UAI last year of 86.8 and will get a GPA of 4.5

any information would be invaluable.
thanks

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
like you said, most unis operate their transfer schemes differently, so you might want to check with ANU and see what their transfer procedures is like.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Are there such things as different rounds for Transferring? like first round, second round and third round.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
well if youre transferring externally, you apply via UAC, so you have the same process as the rest of the recent school leavers do...ie main round, late round etc me thinks.

ambrose1

HSC
jemsta said:
well if youre transferring externally, you apply via UAC, so you have the same process as the rest of the recent school leavers do...ie main round, late round etc me thinks.
when do we find out what our rank/mark is to transfer? is it on the 20th of December when the UAI's come out? and because i've already done a year of uni and am transferring, does that mean that my ranked mark is put in with all the school leavers or do i compete directly with the other non-school leavers?
thanks

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I believe you need to caculate the NRSL yourself by working out your UAI and GPA.

17th jan, cant wait.>_<

ambrose1

HSC
how would you do that? i rang up UAC and they said its ranked, so is the NRSL what they're talking about? but that doesn't make any sense cos wouldn't the ranking change each year? are the people who reckon they know their NRSL just estimating it in an exact way? on what are they basing that?

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
There is a thread about how to caculate your NRSL in this forum.
I think if you go back to the first page, its on the first post.
OR there is one in the LAW forum.

ambrose1

HSC
so is that the same each year, i thought it would differ with demand?

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
that is for caculating ur own NRSL.
then ppl with different NRSLs will apply and compete for a course, like law.
then a cut off is determined in the same way as UAI,
i guess. =p

ambrose1

HSC
it says on the 1st page that generally the NRSL cutoffs are lower than the UAI cutoffs. how true is that?

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
Well, for things like Law degree at USYD, it is known that NRSL ranking is around 96.xx, which is significantly lower than UAI required to gain entry straight out of year 12.
For things like medical science (second year entry), pharmacy or commerce (liberal studies), the situation is less clear, as UAC guide suggest that distinction average (i.e. NRSL=96) is required for entry. This is comparable or even significantly higher than the UAI required to gain standard entry into medical science (UAI of 91-94), commerce (UAI 96-97) or pharmacy (UAI 95-96).
So I guess the assertion that NRSL ranking required for entry is lower than UAI requirement should be taken with a few grains of salt.

paramount8000

HSC
nsrl:91.3

transfering to B.Sc. Usyd uai needed - 83.

chances? i thought it'd be definite, but after reading some of the responses, i'm a bit worried now!

DanielleM

HSC
hey,
can someone please help me, l'm heaps worried that l wont get into the degree l want. I am coming from UNSW B commerce (marketing, tourism) and want to go to UTS b Business. I got a UAI of 86.85 with an extra 10 points from access.However i havent done too good in uni and my WAM (weighted average) for the 2 years l have been there is 57 but l have been getting credit average for like each semester. What will my chances be of getting into that course if the UAI cut off is like 87- 90??

Jaron2005

HSC
Hi all

Just got a quick question, anyways I have applied for a Transfer via UAC for the late rounds this year.

But I think I made a mistake during the registration for the FTE (Full Time Equivalence)

I put 0.75 instead of 1.0, is there any problems with this? Because the explanation on the UAC website wasn't that great.

Oh btw I have just finished first year at UWS with a GPA of 4.6 and planning to transfer to UTS

dm4n

HSC
i doubt it will affect it since uac will check with uws to see how many subjects you have completed i think

Last edited:

Jaron2005

HSC
Ahhhh I hope so, I really hope so.

Cause I will really be devastated if I was overlook by UTS, for that stupid mistake of mine.

Can anyone else confirm this?

HLV-NSW-Michael

HSC
N/A
What do you do if you cant get a selection rate because your GPA is like 3.48 ><?
just estimate? =p

BeyondDeath

HSC
Hi people, I have a question;

So universities accept ppl based on their UAI/GPA. How do they get access to your UAI since we are using new UAC numbers? Or is there a section in the application form that I just missed? :(

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
BeyondDeath said:
Hi people, I have a question;

So universities accept ppl based on their UAI/GPA. How do they get access to your UAI since we are using new UAC numbers? Or is there a section in the application form that I just missed? :(
When we do the application, they ask for our previous UAC number (which is your HSC student number with a 1 in the front, or the same one you used for UAC last year for access to UAI). So I'm guessing that's where they dig up our UAI's? :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)