Only just noticed this dot point.. (1 Viewer)

Yam

"process information from secondary sources to describe recent discoveries of elements"

I guess that means unununonunoium and those crazy elements
Has anyone prepared for this? How likely are they to turn "process information from secondary sources" dot points into exam questions?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
oops... :(
that one completely slipped my notes...

as for transforming that into a question, a possible case would be:

Describe the production of recent discoveries of new elements and evaluate their importance. - 6 marks.

if i see that i would get owned.

IMPORTANT: btw, for those who looked at pathways page 83, your information on element 118 (ununoctium, Uuo) is no longer valid. if you believe Uuo exists then you are wrong.

for more information, please check this source. i remember doing this for my teacher and at the end i wrote "sorry, ms. luithle, what i have said is a complete crock of shit. it's a good discussion on reliability of a scientific method really. :p

Last edited:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
well the secondary sources just means you go read up some books to describe the pt. In an exam, this would mean them giving you some info, eg. tabulated data, equations, or the like and you have to intepret them to answer the particular q, which could be about: reasons for their unstability; what sort of radioactive decay they experience; fill-in-space type q with transmutation eqns; certain procedual descriptions... or some things similar. I cannot see them putting anything like evaluate, assess, discuss or any higher level verbs for this dot point, so i dun think you need to worry frigid :)

N

ND

I don't think they can ask you to evaluate its important or anything; nowhere was anything like that mentioned on teh syllabus.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
therefore precluding the possibility of having to "evaluate" ther importance, as suggested by frigid?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah, i don't know, we got info on bombarding, yet it's crap

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
therefore precluding the possibility of having to "evaluate" ther importance, as suggested by frigid?
No.

edit: meant no evaluate, assess and stuff like that

Last edited:
N

ND

I think they could only ask you to evaluate it if it actually said 'evaluate' in the syllabus.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Frigid
IMPORTANT: btw, for those who looked at pathways page 83, your information on element 118 (ununoctium, Uuo) is no longer valid. if you believe Uuo exists then you are wrong.
Jeez I'm too lazy to go look up a new one now.

I wonder if the BOS would care...argh I guess they might.

*loads up google*

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Skywalker
*loads up google*
why the heck look? i gave you the original links already... :confused:

N

ND

Hmm so they univented it? I wish they would uninvent this syllabus...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
they didn't uninvent, but (to use the right term), retracted their findings.

mon_mon

HSC
How recent is recent? could you talk about Aluminium, being tiscovered through the use of Electolysis?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mon_mon
How recent is recent? could you talk about Aluminium, being tiscovered through the use of Electolysis?
errr... mon_mon, Aluminium wasn't made by nuclear reactions... Electrolysis is electrochemistry, not nuclear chemistry...

N

ND

they didn't uninvent, but (to use the right term), retracted their findings.
Yeh i was just using it to express my opinions on this syllabus (and *retracting* the syllabus doesn't have the same meaning).

mon_mon

HSC
Yeah, i know.....whoops. didnt read the sylabus point properly. sorry.

-edit-

Actually, the point doesnt have anything to do with redioactive elements, does it? only recent?

Yam

Originally posted by ND
I think they could only ask you to evaluate it if it actually said 'evaluate' in the syllabus.
cool

our teacher didnt say anything about new elements at all. The ones after actinides dont do anything to they? They just instantly die in the reactor. Is americium "recent"?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mon_mon
Actually, the point doesnt have anything to do with redioactive elements, does it? only recent?
but aluminium is NOT recent... and anyway, it's in part 5 of productions, titled Nuclear Chemistry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)