OnSTAGE 05 (1 Viewer)

Danoz The Great

HSC
Trev said:
a chick from our school was 1 of only 2 in the state that got nominated for both her individual and group performance
Camilla's a champ. :)

Crowie

HSC
N/A
sigh i saw program b today the individual performances where amazing they set the standard high 4 us 05ers but i dont think the group performances where up to scratch they lacked originallity although they worked well as groups and all there ideas where predictable like with this play school and singing thing far out y do ppl still do these things im sure there where more original performances out there but thats just my opinion mayb program a was different but the ips where amazing especially there characterisation stuck out in all of there performances

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
I went to onstage today, got back about an hour ago. I saw program A, and was very, very impressed with it for the most part. I felt that some of the themes covered were rather overdone, but through that you could tell exactly what the markers were looking for: that highly stylised, over the top slightly melodramatic kind of drama that only looks good if it's done well.
I was utterly amazed by the piece "who did it." I sat there in silence, mouth hanging open at that group performance. Another one I particularly enjoyed was "The Real Dorian Gray". Well acted, and as a Wilde fan, I couldn't have been more chipper.
I only have four real complaints, and none of them have to do with the actors themselves.
1. It seemed like all of the pieces that were chosen had the same kind of style. Like I said before, the slightly over the top acting, done well regardless, with extra points for singing, exactly synchronised movement, children's songs and "deep" social commentary.
2. Appauling theatre ettiquite. I've seen quite a bit of stage work in my time and never before have I seen more appauling behaviour from the audience. yes, they're school students, "only teenagers" and the rest of it, but the most of us are young adults who should be trusted to behave properly, and drama students at that, who should know how to act when in the theatre. I'm not going to take my rant further into the domain of the loud comment of "YOU SUCK" which was said before "bombshells".
3. The program. yes, I understand they may not have had all the money in the world, but last year's programs had a blurb on all of the performers and people selected for design/video/critical/scriptwriting projects. This years program was a single double sided sheet, the back page taken by production team, and the front by the cover. All that was inside was a brief blurb on only the performances that were shown and utterly no reference to the oother IPs displayed in the foyer. not impressed.
4. Selection of the design works. I found most of these to be rather mediocre, but it's all in personal opinion, especially most of the costume designs. There were several that were displayed that just didn't seem suited to display, and others that were only displayed in parts, and the parts that were chosen didn't seem to me like a complete project, because it wasn't. I couldn't look into much of it because it just seemed so brief. Others, especially in the promotional department, looked rather nice but what was seen didn't seem to be a deep look into the text. Also: there were absolutely NO onstage projects based on "The Judas Kiss"

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Trigger, I'm so with you man, Andrews got some serious problems going on.

I saw Programme A and I just saw a stream of performances that I'd risk giving a 3rd place to in the local Year 9 Eisteddfod.

These are some standout performances:

Grey School:

HOLY FUCK! THIS IS THE BIGGEST HUNK OF JUNK THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN! Not only was it jammed with thinly-veiled cliche's but they had the cheek to palm those off as elements of "social exploration".

Frank & Stein:

Grrr, I hated this...well, until the music started up. It had no ending, poor scene transitions and an endless list of other problems...oh, and I found it funny that this performance about liposuction and plastic surgery came from the school with the biggest dumpah to hotty ratio.

That'll do, I'm too fumed to list any more.

The lame group performances really detract from the stellar effort of the three clowns...they were so good...the fucking audience never appreciated their genius...they laughed when they were hung.

P.S - monos far outskilled groups.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Who Did It was from my school ^___^. I bet you kids couldn't guess that the pianist has a licenciate of piano and Peacock has a mezzo-soprano, classically trained voice...I don't know if anyone else felt the same way, but it seemed like it was just them performing - the other two were just the dirt on the musician's godly boots.

Did anyone else out there like the Cabaret man? I thought he was a superb, theatrical deity - the way he held the audience in his net with the mere thrusting of his hands.

Another comment from the assassin:

Did anyone like any of the scripts at OnScreen? See, I thought that the performed ones were really lame but I was floored at the skill of the mature-aged-student-esque written one about the stresses on religion in the outback...oh, good stuff in that.

AndrewS

HSC
No Worries Trigger 189 Pleased doing business with ya mate!

Im sure well meet again in some other arugment until then good luck with ur ranting! ;)

Crowie

HSC
N/A
yea i saw program b like i said but yea cabaret guy was definately top 3 along with the new york minute female and the day in a life of a mother the monologues definately out did the groups once again

iamgir

HSC
yeh, thats right crowie, thatll be us next year, ;) if knausie ever gives us
real time to work on our IPs.

your backseat buddy, lol
IamGir
(sorry guys personal jk)

thatjazz

HSC
I saw Program A on Thursday night, and I loved it! The best group performance was "Who Did It?" - that freaky hair man is amazing when it comes to piano. I also adored the innuendo about the candlesticks!!

The individual performances were the highlights. 'From The Diary of a New York Lady' was just amazing, the stand out of the first act. 'Live and Let Live', the Cabaret/holocaust performance was #&*$^% AMAZING. Those two performances (both from my town!) were the absolute best from the entire program.

I also loved the frantic mother.

But seriously, it's unfair to criticise the groups who weren't *as good as* the monologues in the way you people have been doing, because everyone has worked EXTREMELY hard to get to that point, and all of the groups had some wonderfully original moments in it.

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
Gavrillo said:
Who Did It was from my school ^___^. I bet you kids couldn't guess that the pianist has a licenciate of piano and Peacock has a mezzo-soprano, classically trained voice...I don't know if anyone else felt the same way, but it seemed like it was just them performing - the other two were just the dirt on the musician's godly boots.
I wouldn't have guessed that he had his LMus, mostly because although he played without a glitch (and rather lovely technique, and i was amazed by that part where he takes over playing from the girl) but you could tell that what he was playing wasn't a real display of his abilities.
What I really loved about the performance wasn't just the intergration of the music and the typical musical esque backing vocals, but how tightly bound it all was. The movement was near perfect.

I enjoyed "Diary of a New York Lady", but I didn't feel entranced by it. it seemed very typical. Someone from my school did something remotely similar. I was impressed by her movement and character, but I couldn't hear a word she was saying when she was yelling.

she's_beck

HSC
onstage is laughable

what is going on with OnStage?? Program B was laughable. GROUP PERFORMANCES ARE BECOMING WEAK. WHERE IS THE VALUABLE MESSAGE IN ALL OF THEM?? "without you tone, i ( pitch) cant work". where is the valid message? and i just want to clarify that what i mean about a valid message. a valid message is one that is up to date with our innovative world and lifestyle (not to mention ORIGINAL).

everything has become CHEAP HUMOUR!! there is no sense of dramatic feeling. i have not come accross a gp this year that had a direct and stable message and in anyway left me feeling like i had witnessed something special.

last year was much better. don't think for yourself was the best GP i have seen yet. it was a comedic play but with tastefull comedy, unlike the "Dude where's my car" take-off Jitter buffs had used. Don't get me wrong it was funny, I laughed, but at the end of it i was like HANG ON...WAS THAT IT? where was the originality? where was the direction? was that really the best in the state?

as for IP's Luke was very captivating and did a great job. he was the best IP i have seen. Natalie Mather did an EXCEPTIONAL JOB, although i couldnt realy hear her. I just could not believe how BADLY BEHAVED the audience was to laugh in parts of the monologue that was inapropriate to. It was very disrespectful.

i really hate to say this but i think ONSTAGE will soon become a selection of whats comfortable and entertaining, wich is not what universal drama is about.

Last edited:

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
We saw Program A on Saturday night, and I was sitting gaping at the first part before the intermission, waiting for something with the brilliance of last year's "Don't think for yourself," "Nutcase", or "Accidental Death of an Anarchist".

Luckily the second half of the program was so much better, the first monologue I saw that I thought had dramatic merit was the housewife one (sorry no program with me to remember names), the bloke from Armidale who did Live and Let Live was fantacular, he used the whispering so effectively, I saw basically the whole theatre lean forward to hear, and when he danced and sang, it actually seemed like he was in a cabaret.

I'm also a huge Oscar Wilde fan and loved the Dorian Gray one, though I could have walked over and punched the morons who were laughing at the real dramatic point where he became the picture (or the beginning of when the picture begins to age for all you sticklers for accuracy). Yes it was cool, but it was supposed to be theatrical and a powerful moment, not something to giggle at.

And of course the standout of probably both year's OnStages, Who Did It? Left me in awe. The Professor Plum character was just the greatest actor I've seen out of both the years. Flawless timing.

I may be being cynical but I did have to sit next to a real pessimistic asshole from my class who's only positive comment about the performances was that the girl playing Miss White had a "nice rack."

ti_amo_anthony

HSC
i would have to say that i saw both program a and b on, the final performances, and i found that in program b the jitter buffs were gud, funny and hot, and salome was gud too, i didnt mind that, taming lydia wit tha hippy chick was absolutely horrendous!!! im sorry but i did not like it one little bit, i think that i could do sooo much better, and if that can get onto onstage then anyone pretty much can!!!! AMERICAN WELCOME omg now this was good, funny and really well done!!!! i didnt like bob the one about the trences, but one of the guys in it was hot, which kept me watchin!!!!
huh? now that was crap!!! didnt like it, it was different yes, but it didnt do nething for me, the theresa the bride, i liked, not loved but thort it was gud, i loved the character style, fish lamb and between the tracks were also really not interesting!!

program a~~ i liked underpants, mmm he has gud legs!!!!! n he aint that bad lookin either!!! umm i didnt like the painting one, but started pissing myself wen he put his face thru the painitng, it woke me up, but omg it was a higlight, i found that monologue to be quite tedious, i didnt like byron bay, i thort it was really quite not up to the standard that it should be, and the new york girl was gud, i liked her, she was quite funny, i liked the cabaret guy he was quite gud, but the mother one was reliant on the pace, and still wasnt all that good, coz i could barely understand her, her clarity was quite poor, the clowns they were good, and you could tell that 2 of them were dancers!!!! they were the best group so far, frankenstien... umm hello what a lota crap, it was not all that good, their accents kept dropping, and they were just really bad, i loved who did it!!! omg best performance of this years onstage!!!!! i loved it all, i thort it was amazing!!!! i think they got a standing ovation, i am not quite sure

can someone tell me wat that licenciate of piano thing is....

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
i really hate to say this but i think ONSTAGE will soon become a selection of whats comfortable and entertaining, wich is not what universal drama is about.
That's pretty much what it is anyway. I went to OnStage last week along with my class and teachers, both of whom are senior markers for the HSC - one marks promotion and poster, the other marks whatever he feels like marking because he's one of the people who sets the theory paper. Talking to them, OnStage isn't a true reflection of that years top dramatic works - the ones being selected to OnStage fitting the OnStage criteria more than anything else. The OnStage Criteria generally being an excellent drama mark, as well as a performance that would appeal to a wider audience and not "offend" them. A few years ago apparently the Minister for Education went to see OnStage with his daughter, and there was some language he didn't want her to hear, and there were lots of dramas among the drama community in the BoS. She was 14, but since then they've been careful of what they select to go to OnStage. Sigh, I suppose it all boils down to politics in the end.

That said, I saw Program B*, and while the performances may not have completely shown the deep and meaningful side of drama, I still enjoyed them immensely.

:D

*and OnScreen - the videos weren't particularly something to celebrate. Breathing with the Trees etc., but Red Rattler was chilling. There was a bit of a train theme running through the videos I saw.
I found "The Cat Woman" (of the the scripts to stage) amazing, though. And "From Page to Stage" was hilarious.

Last edited:

supergirl

HSC
I went to onstage last Friday and we saw both programs, and onscreen. I personally found the videos quite tedious and unimaginative, but I thought that both of the moved readings were BRILLIANT. Particularly the first one.

The highlights of performance, for me were as follows:

Luke from Newtown was BRILLIANT. Absolutely fantastic. I think I'd go far enough as FLAWLESS.

Who Did It? I thought this piece was fantastic, but everyone surrounding me seemed to think it was terrible. I particularly liked the use of the Cluedo pieces in the background.

The frantic mother was AMAZING. She just kept going and going and going! I thought she would eventually get confused, she was going that fast. But alas, she didn't fail us.

Also, in line with all of the other comments, I was absolutely horrified by the conduct of the audience. I find it RIDICULOUS that the guy who did the Holocaust one was LAUGHED at when he screamed from the torture. I just wanted to slap someone.

supergirl

HSC
Also. Tom Conroy from my school did an absolutely FANTASTIC monologue for his IP as John Barton from Looking For Alibrandi. He is BRILLIANT. The whole audience was in tears at the end of the piece, and it would have made for something different for once. However, because he says "fucking" in it, ONCE, he wasn't allowed to be nominated. And there is no way he should have to compromise the textual integrity of his piece for the sake of Onstage anyway.

mattwillcoz

Onstage - Dorian Gray

I was in Onstage Program A, The Real Dorian Gray, this year and everyone was talking about how people had posted stuff about us. So i came on here to find Trigger with his bitter ranting about how his group was better so, therefore, all of onstage sucked. Get over it.

For those doing drama this year, do aim for onstage but don't end up a shattered, bitter loser if you don't get nominated or selected.

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback.

The audiences sucked, but whatever.

spencertas

MATTY! It's Byron, I was in OnStage this year too, I was the Cabaret/Holocaust guy, you have NO idea how FUNNY it is that you guys take OnStage SO seriously. i come on here everyday and LAUGH! It really is so funny, I am actually laughing right now, seriously, I'm laughing, CHUCKLING! But yea it is cool to hear some nice compliments from you guys and I am glad some of you enjoyed my performance I loved doing it for you all! And Trigger buddy, 2 words for you...... LET GO. good luck to all in drama this year, if anyone wants any help or ideas just add me to msn or sumthin. later

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, if there is retaliation to those last two posts, I will close the thread (yes, I'm being pre-emptive). Can we get some 'healthy' discussion about it? Be sure that everyone on onstage is having a laugh about the bitching here, and none of them are taking it seriously because its just the opinions of a few people who, well, lost out. Congrats guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)