• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

opinions on acer laptop (1 Viewer)

lauren_d

HSC
i'm looking at getting a laptop to replace my desktop, for around 1400 max. I dont really play games so the most i'll be using it for is uni stuff, internet, dvds, etc. i'm thinking the acer aspire 1641 from officeworks. opinions?

get_born

lauren_d said:
i'm looking at getting a laptop to replace my desktop, for around 1400 max. I dont really play games so the most i'll be using it for is uni stuff, internet, dvds, etc. i'm thinking the acer aspire 1641 from officeworks. opinions?
i have an acer laptop... its pretty good. I reckon as long as it gets the job done and is a reasonable price then get it.

Kulazzi

HSC
is that the same one that cocopops is giving away for free or something? :p

Yeah, acer's really good. The mousepad is not too sensitive (unlike the Toshiba), the keys are alright. Go for it!

lauren_d

HSC
thats what i thought... but my brothers a nerd and kept telling me all this stuff i should or shouldnt have in it, and just managed to confuse me.

what model do you have? what do you use it for? it'd help me get an idea of whether the one im looking at is appropriate....

lauren_d

HSC
lol yeah something like that :D actually i googled the aspire and kelloggs os offering a hundred dollar cashback thingy too

get_born

lauren_d said:
thats what i thought... but my brothers a nerd and kept telling me all this stuff i should or shouldnt have in it, and just managed to confuse me.

what model do you have? what do you use it for? it'd help me get an idea of whether the one im looking at is appropriate....
i've got an Acer TravelMate 2300

Its got:

-Intel Celeron M 320 processor (1.3 GHz MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache)
-15.0 "XGA TFT LCD
-40 GB HDD
-DVD/CD-RW Combo
-265 MB DDR

i dont know what half that stuff is. But basically your looking at a laptop that will allow you to access the internet, do power point presentation, and store all your documents...which is basically any laptop. But dont settle for 256 MB try and get 512 MB if your planning on using your laptop like your everyday computer.

lauren_d

HSC
yeah, theres some deal on at officeworks and they're throwing in another 256mb ram (it only comes with 256mb), which im pretty happy with... also its got a dvd burner, which, while completely unnecessary for me, is cool :p

get_born

lauren_d said:
yeah, theres some deal on at officeworks and they're throwing in another 256mb ram (it only comes with 256mb), which im pretty happy with... also its got a dvd burner, which, while completely unnecessary for me, is cool :p
if the price is worth it then get it.:)

Collin

HSC
N/A
lauren_d said:
Should of got the 3627WXMi when it was on promotion (Back to Work). Similar specs with bonus RAM, except 14" widescreen instead. Perfect for the student, and it boasts the same res as the 15.4" 1641 (WXGA+). Been working at Officeworks for awhile now, PM if you want tricks on how to perhaps further a better discount on that laptop.

lauren_d

HSC
darn... bought it today, so it better be worth it :D

meanwhile, the extra ram which i assumed would be installed, wasnt. so i tried to take the back off but it was stuck. scared im gonna snap the plastic, so lacking the additional ram for now :(

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yeah, we don't put it in for you. We just sell the packages the companies send us. If we bundle anything extra, it'll be externally presented. But the RAM is quite easy to implement though.

And make sure they gave you the right RAM. We've had some customer issues regarding salesmen accidentally giving the wrong type.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)