opinions .... (1 Viewer)

em2182

HSC
hey everyone,
never posted on this thing b4 but i want some opinions :eek:) ....

I'm doing my PIP on governments and lying. Pretty much i'm saying that its ok for them, but morally wrong for everyone else. I have heaps of secondary research, theories and stuff. the thing i was wondering is how to focus it to a more micro level. I'm going to use examples of governments caught in the lie in 3 diff countries: Aust, U.S and China and i was thinking about questioning wats happening in each society that allows them to get away with it. That way i can get the micro level by questioning ppl in my own community and seeing if people are just apathetic about the whole thing, as though they dont care. Then i can use the fact that China is communist so the ppl couldn't rebel the whole thing if they wanted too etc

Anyway now i've posted my life story ...... wat do u think?
is that an ok focus or too broad? Most of my secondary's done, just stuck on some methodologies and times a gettin on :eek:

BronwynKate

HSC
Governments lying really worries me!

Why is it all right for governments to lie?

What evidence/research have you got to support this?

I think the Chinese do rebel; it's just more underground than it would be in a more democratic society.

I think I do care about governments being able/allowed to lie. Of course it depends on the reason for the lie; paternalistic versus authoritarian to name a fine moral distinction (well, perhaps not so fine).

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
The China/USA cross cultural comparison seems a bit dodgy. How do you plan to do primary research for this? It also makes your focus too large, you'll end up having to generalise a lot.

It might be better to focus on just Australia, and for cross cultural look at different attitudes of older Australians (eg 35+) vs. younger Australians (eg. 18-35). You could focus on a few significant instances, for example children overboard, and compare the attitudes according to age.

simone13

HSC
I think focusing on three countries is too broad. Maybe focus on Australia, that way you can get in many easily accessible methodologies such as surveys, interviews, participant observation, etc., and then do a cross-cultural comparison with another country and use a case study, etc.

I also think maybe a trip to pariament house during question time would be excellent. I remember being in the house of representatives during this time once on an excursion and thing can get very heated! Alternatively, if you are unable to physically go there, I think ABC possibly screens this during the day. I know they used to (they always ran over so my after school programs never started on time! Not a happy child!), but I am unsure of whether they still do. Could be worth looking into.

I hope this has helped!

BronwynKate

HSC
I agree with Simone's idea of going to Canberra.

What about State Parliament too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)