Option: Industrial Chemistry (1 Viewer)

lil dynamyt

HSC
Hey,

What did u guys think this section? Any questions?

Ive got one myself...what first hand investigation did u guys use for the last question to model an equilibrium reaction?

JoshyPutts07

HSC
I actually thought it waqs reasonable compared to past years, probably coz thats what I studied most haha

yeh that one kinda threw me a bit but i ended up using the NO2 - N2O4 equilibrium with the effects of temperature change..........thats right though isnt it? :confused:

hecticleb

HSC
N/A
umm yea i guess! but the thing is there are so many variations to that prac that there not going to be so hard on the marking for that! i hope but i did the water trough and pump one

Armenikum

HSC
Argh, the Hydrogen Sulfide question cost me a couple of marks.

Can someone please give me a basic outline of what you was needed in the Saponifcation products question?

Other than that, this year was too easy - but then again, maybe because it's so interesting!

ravdawg

HSC
Armenikum said:
Argh, the Hydrogen Sulfide question cost me a couple of marks.

Can someone please give me a basic outline of what you was needed in the Saponifcation products question?

Other than that, this year was too easy - but then again, maybe because it's so interesting!

i wrote with the development of sapon we learnt more about the chem structuve of soap and how it cleans. this led to development of synthetic detergents. thent alked bout how u can get different types all for different specific cleaning, and therefoere had a good impact on soc, then talked bout how devleopment of detergetn first had a bad impact on environ since they werent biodeg, etc

JoshyPutts07

HSC
meh i just talked about hos mad they are because they are biodegradible. I said the olde detergents could lead to eutrophication coz of their high phosphate content. I also said that soaps form a precipitate with hard water forming a scum.........other than that i just bargged about how frikin mad soap is haha..........i think i even said something about personal hygeine :rofl:

hydrogen sulfide question, what was the equilibrium constant? like 1.3?

Armenikum

HSC
ravdawg said:
i wrote with the development of sapon we learnt more about the chem structuve of soap and how it cleans. this led to development of synthetic detergents. thent alked bout how u can get different types all for different specific cleaning, and therefoere had a good impact on soc, then talked bout how devleopment of detergetn first had a bad impact on environ since they werent biodeg, etc
I didnt talk about synthetic detergents because I didnt know you could make them from Saponification - I thought it was only appropriate to talk about Soap and its structure. I could be wrong an miss out on a mark or two. I did however make reference to Soap is better than synthetic detergents which include phosporous in their builders, which when washed into water ways can lead to algal blooms and eutrophication.

So again, did we need to talk about synthetic detergents?

Romina

HSC
i wrote something about iodine or something in a flask thing and then this purple gas appears...yea im sooo gonna get a good mark with my brilliant answer there =l

ravdawg

HSC
Armenikum said:
I didnt talk about synthetic detergents because I didnt know you could make them from Saponification - I thought it was only appropriate to talk about Soap and its structure. I could be wrong an miss out on a mark or two. I did however make reference to Soap is better than synthetic detergents which include phosporous in their builders, which when washed into water ways can lead to algal blooms and eutrophication.

So again, did we need to talk about synthetic detergents?
I'm not sure if u they actually make detergents from saponifiation, but my point was that the development helped us understand more bout why soaps clean. When we learnt that we learnt we can mimic it with synthetic detergents.

Armenikum

HSC
ravdawg said:
I'm not sure if u they actually make detergents from saponifiation, but my point was that the development helped us understand more bout why soaps clean. When we learnt that we learnt we can mimic it with synthetic detergents.
Fair enough. Wouldn't hurt to mention it - althought I hope it doesnt hurt to not mention it :p

dwatt

HSC
I thought the Industrial Chemistry was very poor.

The first question...asked you for the NAME of the Solvay process and the overall reaction. Sheesh.

And the second part, bascially asked you how a solid substance is separated from an aqeueous substance. The diagram provided even had a little box called "filter".

I'm pissed off about that "modelling" of an equilibrium reaction. I read the "risk" part and unfortunately immediately thought about the NO2 prac. That's 5 freakin marks.

ravdawg

HSC
dwatt said:

The first question...asked you for the NAME of the Solvay process and the overall reaction. Sheesh.

And the second part, bascially asked you how a solid substance is separated from an aqeueous substance. The diagram provided even had a little box called "filter".

I'm pissed off about that "modelling" of an equilibrium reaction. I read the "risk" part and unfortunately immediately thought about the NO2 prac. That's 5 freakin marks.
No way would u lose 5 marks, 2 marks for usng the wrong exp, if ur risks and limitations were sufficient they should give u marks for them.

Also with the solvay thing, dont they hav to cool nahco3 b4 it becomes insoluable, as its slightly soluable at high temps (and even room temp), has to b cooled to a few degrees i think b4 it ppts out.

JoshyPutts07

HSC
dwatt said:

what wrong with using the NO2 N2O4 prac???????

thats an equlibirum reaction right? thats what i did anyway

Armenikum

HSC
JoshyPutts07 said:
what wrong with using the NO2 N2O4 prac???????

thats an equlibirum reaction right? thats what i did anyway
It is an example of a quantitative analysis of an equilibrium reaction, however, it is not a model of an equilibrium reaction.

JoshyPutts07

HSC
Armenikum said:
It is an example of a quantitative analysis of an equilibrium reaction, however, it is not a model of an equilibrium reaction.
You mean qualitative?

so what the hell would it have been then? the CO2 in soft drink?

Armenikum

HSC
JoshyPutts07 said:
You mean qualitative?

so what the hell would it have been then? the CO2 in soft drink?
Yes, my mistake on that.

In DOTPOINT they distinguish the mdoel from the qualitatively analyse by the using NO2 one for the qualitative, and beads for the model.

JoshyPutts07

HSC
Armenikum said:
Yes, my mistake on that.

In DOTPOINT they distinguish the mdoel from the qualitatively analyse by the using NO2 one for the qualitative, and beads for the model.
oh shithole this is so depressing

I am never visiting this site again haha.........all I succeed in doing is finding out how shit I am at all my subjects...............UWS here i come :eek:

emilymcs

HSC
JoshyPutts07 said:
meh i just talked about hos mad they are because they are biodegradible. I said the olde detergents could lead to eutrophication coz of their high phosphate content. I also said that soaps form a precipitate with hard water forming a scum.........other than that i just bargged about how frikin mad soap is haha..........i think i even said something about personal hygeine :rofl:

hydrogen sulfide question, what was the equilibrium constant? like 1.3?
that's what i got. but i wasn't so sure how right it was.

as for the whole model thing - that was really retarded. I put some lame prac about throwing around bean bags in the lab. such a waste of 6 marks.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
emilymcs said:
that's what i got. but i wasn't so sure how right it was.

as for the whole model thing - that was really retarded. I put some lame prac about throwing around bean bags in the lab. such a waste of 6 marks.
Yeah I got 1.333...

That seems to be the general consensus so you should feel pretty safe.

emilymcs

HSC
phew. i was freaking out about that question.

what did you guys put for the seperation in the solvay process? apparently it's done by crystallization but i just said one was solid and one was aqueous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)