Options Options. (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
Does anyone have experience with having done 3 major works for HSC?

I'm in a situation with picking subjects for year 12. I am going to ignore most of the marks I receive from yearlies (except for the sciences) because I switched schools mid third term and the prelims are on different topics so I'm going to wing it. :)

So option #1:
English Advanced
Ext 1
Ext 2 (major in speeches)
Visual Arts
Modern History
History Ext.
Chemistry
Biology
SOR 1 (compusory but I'm just not going to put effort in this...)

Reasoning for these majors:
Visual Arts- need an enjoyable subject, I love it.
History Ext- I write good history essays with strong arguments- (got 24/25 for my historical investigation, which was first out of 42; only 4 As given.
EE2- For the past 4 years for junior speeches I've gotten full marks and I regularly part-take in national public speaking comps.

Option#2:
English Adv
Modern History
Chemistry
Biology
Visual Arts
History Ext.

SOR 1

Less two units of english= more time for other subjects and focusing on the advanced texts.

Anyone have any advice? Especially surrounding major works?
Thankyou :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well if you like them all - go do it. You have a whole year, you just have to manage your time well.

Also for EX2, I'm assuming you're doing a speech?

madharris

HSC
N/A
hist ext you can pretty much do in a few weeks if you go hard out. but you just need to make it look like youve done it over a long period of time. here is mine if you want to have a look http://science-warfare.blogspot.com.au/
Wow! I don't do ext history but that looks amazing!

OT:
I do music 2 and ext music and i kind of had 3 major works. 1 composition & folio for music 2 and 2 compositions & 2 folios for ext music.
It's very do-able if you want to put the work in and do it consistently throughout the year

Eg155

HSC
hist ext you can pretty much do in a few weeks if you go hard out. but you just need to make it look like youve done it over a long period of time. here is mine if you want to have a look http://science-warfare.blogspot.com.au/
Thankyou! This looks so good, definitely something to aspire to :)
May I ask, what mark you received internally for it?

Yeah, my teachers encourage me to do these exts and visual arts but they don't know that I'm taking extra majors if that makes sense? They said taking 14 units is too much even if you're going to neglect one of them. Careers advisor: "HSC is a marathon, you have to pace yourself and use all your time wisely; other people are accelerants and will only be doing 6 units for HSC (4 unit maths accelerants) so they will have a great advantage over you".

My problem is, I'd like to think I'm superwoman and get all this done in a proper manner but 14 units is just.... Got to cut something.

Shadowdude: yessum, speeches for Ext 2 :)

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
wait lol didn't read the OP where you said 'speech'

my bad

Uhh, I think you'll find EX2 isn't that much work. It's just consistent work throughout the year - it's not really a subject that's stressful, unless you have nothing come July next year when it's due in less than four weeks. I'd suggest you give it a go.

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
Thankyou! This looks so good, definitely something to aspire to :)
May I ask, what mark you received internally for it?

Yeah, my teachers encourage me to do these exts and visual arts but they don't know that I'm taking extra majors if that makes sense? They said taking 14 units is too much even if you're going to neglect one of them. Careers advisor: "HSC is a marathon, you have to pace yourself and use all your time wisely; other people are accelerants and will only be doing 6 units for HSC (4 unit maths accelerants) so they will have a great advantage over you".

My problem is, I'd like to think I'm superwoman and get all this done in a proper manner but 14 units is just.... Got to cut something.

Shadowdude: yessum, speeches for Ext 2 :)
admittedly, i did quite well. i got 38.5/40. and my teacher said it was one of if not the best he has seen

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
i lost one mark in my essay because i didnt have enough historiography ( i knew this from the beginning so it was kind of expected) and the half mark was in my proposal because i got 18/20 but it was only weighted 5/40 marks for the full investigation.

moral of the story, hist ext major is not too much work and is enjoyable if you pick a topic you are genuinely interested in (i chose mine because i love physics). so do it.

Eg155

HSC
Oh okay, thanks for your help and best of luck for your HSC :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)