• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

orbitals (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
can an atom have both a p orbital and an s orbital or can it only have one of the 2?

xvelidras

HSC
I think inherently all atoms have all the orbitals, its simply a matter if they are filled or not. You can have a filled s orbital and filled p orbitals, they are not exclusive of one another. e.g. Sodium's electron confriguration is 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s1

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Thanks, should have read further. What about this. This is methanes electron configuration 1s2 2s2 2px1 2py1 which means there are 6 electrons right?

xvelidras

HSC
methane.. or carbon? methane undergoes sp3 hybridisation, so the electron orbitals of the 2nd shell of the central carbon atom aren't s & p at all.

carbon is 1s2 2s2 2p2. i dont think we usually distinguish between the 3 'p orbitals' in writing electron configurations.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
i thought u do, with x,y,z. Im pretty sure that is methanes electron configuration as i copied it from a web site.

xvelidras

HSC
If you copied it from a website you can't totally sure of its reliability =P. Checked Silberberg's Chemistry; The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change, 3rd ed, p.g 396

"The 2s and all the three 2p orbitals of C are mixed to form 4 sp3 hybrids. Carbon's four valence electrons half-fill the sp3 hybrids"

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
well chem guide uk is pretty reputable. Yeh i have silberberg somewhere, ill have to look for it. Btw did you do a chem olympiad this yr?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
err am i the only one who doesnt remember this from chemistry?
They were talking about another system used for the different shells in an atom, each shell is assigned a letter and there are all these rules for the system. I don't think it is in the chemistry syllabus though.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
wat do u mean its not in the syllabus? then why would our teacher make us learn it

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sando said:
wat do u mean its not in the syllabus? then why would our teacher make us learn it
I maybe very wrong, but I really haven't encountered this before, other than my teacher talking about it a while back in year 11. According to my teacher, we don't have to know it for the chemistry hsc.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
i'm not saying ur wrong, but if we get taught it it we will be better off. It kind of helps ur understanding of the whole concept, if u know wat i mean

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sando said:
i'm not saying ur wrong, but if we get taught it it we will be better off. It kind of helps ur understanding of the whole concept, if u know wat i mean
It's up to you. If it helps you understand better, then go for it. ;)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
thanks for polluting my thread. No, this is 1st yr uni chem stuff. Not hard though as you can see.

xvelidras

HSC
sikeveo said:
Btw did you do a chem olympiad this yr?
nah, all my knowledge comes from the ramblings of my chem-obsessed friends.. i think one of them went to ACHO

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
ah ok, thanks for ur help. i have to use zumdahl now since my sister sold silberberg :(

xvelidras

HSC
Doesn't matter, they're quite similar =P. One of my friends insists on using Zumdahl because apparently its layout is better. As for me, Silberberg happened to be the easier one to obtain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)