Ordinates (1 Viewer)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
what are they? i thought they are the y co-ordinates of a point but what do they mean when they say the ordinate of P intersect the asymptote at N or something like that. This is from the blue patel 4U text book.

Bannanafish

HSC
the x value is one ordinate
the y value is another ordinate
together they form a co-ordinate

is a roflcopter
HSC
whats an absisscae ?
i dont even know the spelling of it

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Abscissae is supposed to be the x-value of a co-ordinate, but for some reasons, some questions from some textbook (terry*cough*lee*cough) refers to abscissae as the y co-ordinate.. it's strange..

BTW the dictionary says "The value of a coordinate on the horizontal axis"

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by Bannanafish
the x value is one ordinate
the y value is another ordinate
together they form a co-ordinate
but what do they mean when they imply the ordinate is a line? eg. "NP is the ordinate of a point P(x<sub>1</sub>,y<sub>1</sub>) on the ellipse b<sup>2</sup>x<sup>2</sup>+a<sup>2</sup>y<sup>2</sup>=a<sup>2</sup>b<sup>2</sup>"

Originally posted by Newbie
whats an absisscae ?
i dont even know the spelling of it
the abscissa should be the x coordinate

N

ND

Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
what do they mean when they say the ordinate of P intersect the asymptote at N
With P(asec@, btan@) and asymptote y=bx/a, N would have coords (atan@, btan@).

but what do they mean when they imply the ordinate is a line?
Well you can think of it as a line: from the above example, the parametric coords are x=asec@, y=btan@. Here the ordinate is the line y=btan@, so you want to know where y=btan@ intersects y=bx/a.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
thats what i thought except they dont seem to fit into the questions...

for example

Patel 6E q5
"NP is the ordinate of a point P(x<sub>1</sub>,y<sub>1</sub>) on the ellipse b<sup>2</sup>x<sup>2</sup>+a<sup>2</sup>y<sup>2</sup>=a<sup>2</sup>b<sup>2</sup>. The tangent at P meets the x-axis at A. Prove that ON.OA=a<sup>2</sup>, where O is the origin."

or

6D q32
the ordinate at P(asec@, btan@) meets the asymptote of the hyperbola b<sup>2</sup>x<sup>2</sup>-a<sup>2</sup>y<sup>2</sup>=a<sup>2</sup>b<sup>2</sup> at Q. The normal at P meets the x-axis at G. Prove that GQ is perpendicular to the asymptote.

N

ND

Yeh you're right, however they both work if you consider the ordinate to be the vertical lines (i.e. x=acos@ and x=asec@ in q5 and q32 resp.). I guess when they say ordinate they mean the line parallel with the y-axis.

Bannanafish

HSC
well they might make you find the equation of the asymptote, and if it's a vertical or horizontal line, they could just ask you for the x or y ordinate cause they already tested you on the other ordinate in finding the equation of the asymptote

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)