Organisation help (1 Viewer)

goobypls

HSC
I recently started year 11 and I am already having trouble organising my work. I use a laptop in class for textbooks and such as well as taking notes occasionally and doing research. I want to do most of my work in books so I am used to writing alot when it comes to exams but I am unsure how to organise everything. At the moment I have 1 folder for each subject but I can only fit one or two folders in my bag at once as they are about 5cm thick. I want to have all my worksheets and handouts organised for every subject but also have access to them when I need them which I dont at the moment because I cant take them all to school.

Any help would be appreciated.

deloving

HSC
I doubt you require 5cm thick folders for one subject at this stage of the year. Try smaller display folders?

Also, wrong section.

DamTameNaken

HSC
In my experience the best way of working your folders in is to have one folder that has all of your subjects which you bring to and from school along with several folders at home (one for each subject), at the end of term you dump your subjects notes into their proper folders.

HSC
In my opinion don't take separate folders to school and try not to use books since its harder to then study for and organize handouts etc. ! An easier way is to use one large folder (I use bantex) and use page dividers for every subject. Use loose leafs for work and date them and put them in order according to section/date. Also a folder hole punch is great so you can immediately punch your handouts and put it straight in order! Put the syllabus for each subject in the front of your subject section in a plastic sleeve and try and date the dot point you do in class when you learn it!

When your finished a unit/module I have separate folders at home for each subject which I then put the unit into it and do my notes etc.

This is just what I do so I hope it helps!

Last edited:

ismt_ozn

HSC
Dude dont use laptop... Always write. It gets ur writing faster and your brain tends to keep what you wrote for longer then what you saw on a screen. And screw what ppl say get a big bag, use folders for each subject, get used to carrying around 10 kilos on your back everyday...

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Dude dont use laptop... Always write. It gets ur writing faster and your brain tends to keep what you wrote for longer then what you saw on a screen. And screw what ppl say get a big bag, use folders for each subject, get used to carrying around 10 kilos on your back everyday...
Laptops are good for the creation of Syllabus notes for subjects & the final completion of essays.

Writing is good for answering questions and exercises. Creation of rough notes.

Both have their advantages so yeah.

kazemagic

HSC
I recently started year 11 and I am already having trouble organising my work. I use a laptop in class for textbooks and such as well as taking notes occasionally and doing research. I want to do most of my work in books so I am used to writing alot when it comes to exams but I am unsure how to organise everything. At the moment I have 1 folder for each subject but I can only fit one or two folders in my bag at once as they are about 5cm thick. I want to have all my worksheets and handouts organised for every subject but also have access to them when I need them which I dont at the moment because I cant take them all to school.

Any help would be appreciated.
honestly, bringing a folder is just carrying extra weight, just fold all your handouts and slip them in ur exercise books
or if you really want to, get a clear document wallet and chuck all your handouts in that, much better option than carrying some 5cm folder which is an absolutely waste of space and pretty much useless unless you want that eye candy

goobypls

HSC
I have currently got a 192 page book for each of my humanities subjects and a pracbook/notebook for biology, I cant fit all of my folders in my locker and can only get one in my bag at a time so I dont know what to do with all of the handouts and worksheets I get because I dont want to leave them in my notebooks.

deloving

HSC
I have currently got a 192 page book for each of my humanities subjects and a pracbook/notebook for biology, I cant fit all of my folders in my locker and can only get one in my bag at a time so I dont know what to do with all of the handouts and worksheets I get because I dont want to leave them in my notebooks.
You have a bloody locker and you have trouble with your organisation...? I'd give anything to have a locker at school.

starshine02

HSC
Continue using the books if you like but change to using a display folder or letter file for the sheets. One per subject. They're way more space efficient and I just leave the bigger binder folders at home.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I had a take to school folder divided by subject (used books for maths though). Then had subject folders at home that I would put everything in once we finished a topic or whatever. Keep any handouts you need in.

loaves

HSC
My system for year 11 and 12 (before I got lazy at least):
- Take a big lever arch folder to school with lined paper, dividers and a hole punch for photocopies - use this to keep the current topic's work
- At the end of every topic, empty out everything into individual subject folders at home (which are divided by topic)
- Don't take any textbooks to school if you can avoid it, just read over your friends' shoulders haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)