Organising Work (merged) (1 Viewer)

Folders or Books?

• Total voters

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Hi Guys & Gals, I have been asked by people how they should organise themselves for Year 12. So I thought I post this up for people to read to get ideas on what they possible could do.

In regards to Folders:

There are varieties of folders out there. To help you identify what types there are here is a brief overview of the 3 main types:

Lever Archa lever arch folder is one that has 2 big hoop-like rings that open up with the use of a lever

A Binder Folder a binder folder may have either 2 big hoop-like rings like in a lever arch folder that you pull apart to open OR it may have from 2-6 little rings that open by pulling them apart.

Display Folders A display folder is folder that has rings going down the side and contains plastic sleeves in which sheets of paper can be placed in.

This may seem common knowledge but I thought that I would say this in response to questions asked by individuals.

Dividers A divider(s) is a(are) piece(s) of plastic/cardboard/rubber these are used to separate topic(s)/module(s) of work.

I have been asked by people how I organise my work; here is a brief summary in regards to my folders.

The way I have my folders organised is:
Black=Adv. English
Mauve=Ext. English 1
Red=Biology
Pink=Chemistry
Blue=Food Technology
Green=Geography
One zip up folder for maths which my books fit into + the textbook.

Each of these has 5 dividers (one divider per topic and one section for past papers to be stored with the subject) in them with loose leaf paper. I also have a hole-punch that I take to school; it is small and compact and clips into folders.

I take each subject folder to school when needed eg. Monday I may have Double Chemistry, English, Food tech, Biology & Geography. I will take each of those folders to school. This is due to often I like to refer back to something in a past topic at school so on and so forth. I find this works well for me.

In Regards to Maths Work: I write all my theory and do all my math work in the one book/s but I use a separate book for each topic or more economically I paste in a divider where a new topic begins.

In regards to revision

Unfortuanely I cannot tell you how to study/revise this is something that you have to learn yourself, here is some basic ideas/concepts:
  • Syllabus Dot Points
  • Practice Essays
  • Past Papers
  • Homework
and I have also been asked how I organise my revision, this is how I revise:

For revision stuff I have multiple things, I have for weekly revision of work I have colored paper that relates to the folder/subject (except English that has white unlined paper) that I summarise what we did that week on. This is because it adds color to my folder and color helps me remember. Then for syllabus dot points I have an A4 spiral bound book with a colored cover (that matches the folder and paper) that I write my initial notes in, then I type them up on the computer and print them out (I am considering buying blank colored paper and printing these notes on them) and place them in A4 display folders (which are also color co-ordinated to subject).

Hope this helps people out. If people have any more questions pm and i will repsond as soon as I can.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, and whilst you wasted your time knowing what each folder is called - I just call my folders 'folders'. :p
JK - nice work Marcquelle. :)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
no its just i have people emailing me asking me what the difference is between them and i'm sick of explaining it, to me it just simply with lever or not.

lol

i feel no acomplishment til i enlighten others about the wonders of the folder

i call it folderology. Like sociology except with folders/\.

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
marcquelle said:
no its just i have people emailing me asking me what the difference is between them and i'm sick of explaining it, to me it just simply with lever or not.

lol

i feel no acomplishment til i enlighten others about the wonders of the folder

i call it folderology. Like sociology except with folders/\.
Folderology - that should be a high scaling subject in the HSC.

Folderology Extension II - one day guys :p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
You get a real great sense of accomplishment when you learn all the technical terms for folders. :p
Well, I remember, back in Yr 4, I was really anal about organisation, so yeah. =\

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Aerath said:
Well, I remember, back in Yr 4, I was really anal about organisation, so yeah. =\
Haha. I think I had an OCD with organisation back then. :p

Everything on my table had to be in its place and all neat and everything. :hammer:

Now I look back and think... 'what a waste of time and effort'. :)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Continuum said:
Haha. I think I had an OCD with organisation back then. :p

Everything on my table had to be in its place and all neat and everything. :hammer:

Now I look back and think... 'what a waste of time and effort'. :)
I had that problem with my exercise book and with my handwriting... I still have a fairly neat exercise book though and my writing's still pretty neat (I've been told I write like a woman :p)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
the-derivative said:
I had that problem with my exercise book and with my handwriting... I still have a fairly neat exercise book though and my writing's still pretty neat (I've been told I write like a woman :p)
I had that problem as well. :(

I recently got out of it though - which was a heaps good thing. Now I can actually concentrate on the work rather than how it's set out and everything. :D

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Continuum said:
I had that problem as well. :(

I recently got out of it though - which was a heaps good thing. Now I can actually concentrate on the work rather than how it's set out and everything. :D
LOL
I can do both :p

I don't try and make my writing neat though... it just is - like I wouldn't write neat intentionally if it slowed down my writing speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)