Orientation (1 Viewer)

Clutch.

HSC
Are any other Communication newbies not planning on going to o-week/faculty welcome etc.?

Is it seen as an essential thing, or just something to go to if you don't feel comfortable winging it?

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
I don't know whther to go or not. I think I'll probably be there on Monday, and see how it goes. Humanities faculty welcome is on Wednesday right? I must admit, I'd like to take a campus tour because I don't know where anything is lol.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I'm going to go monday... dunno about Tuesday... and I can't go during the day on Weds cos I have a work training thing on

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
I just got this in my inbox:

A special request…

You have registered for the 10am City Orientation on Monday 20 February. Due
to unprecedented demand the venue would be over capacity. To avoid this we are
repeating the session at 2pm.

Could you please attend the 2pm session instead of the 10am session
unless it would be too much inconvenience for you to change your plans?

If yes, and this will be ok with you, will you please email

student.services@uts.edu.au And put 'Ok for 2pm' in the subject line.

There is no need to include a message. Thank you very much.

If you cannot change your attendance time please do not send a reply and we
will look forward to seeing you at the earlier session.

Student Services

Guess a lot of people are going to orientation? Weird.

Clutch.

HSC
Aaaaah, I haven't registered for anything and I'm working on Monday so I can't go then.

Is Monday like the major one compared to Tuesday?

Can someone give me a link or a run down of the whole o-week thing because I got no idea what they are about/when they are/ why people go etc.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I'm not able to go to anything for O-week. I'm stuck at home (9hrs away) until the 25th.

Spose if I'm stuck, I can always ask someone.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
hmm I emailed back and said yeah I'll do 2pm or whatever but then today I got asked to work from 2pm monday. and I need the money. it should be ok if I just rock up at 10am anyway?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I emailed for 2pm too, since i'm not a morning person anyway. I think i'll just check out orientation on Monday and then i'll decide if i'll go the rest of the days.

I'm sure it would be fine if you went at 10pm anyway Glycerine, since the whole thing seems interchangable anyway.

unistudent

HSC
official welcome will probably be all like "welcome to uts, you have made a wise decision to study here because of blah blah"

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Clutch. said:
Once you all go, post up in here about it, ie. rest of the week worthwhile, any important info etc.............Please!
le Summary of Orientation day:

At around 10 am we were sat in this upstairs room with a poncy law dude who made special mention of Abbotseligh girls. Then a large projector was turned on and we got to watch the faculty in the other room(there were so many of us that we had to be moved somewhere else) sit in their fancy medieval dresses and we were told the kind of details about them you might see on a singles site...(This is fred and he likes long walks on the beach...that sort of thing) as well as reminiscence of when UTS was *this* big. Then as a token to their diverse nature they had five minutes of indigenous dancing. This finished at 11 am at which time we had a half hour break in which to drink stuff(not alcohol).

11:30 am, having a poncy dude in medieval robes regurgitate some basic information till just past 12:00 pm. This is when we were led to a little faculty talk in the Bon Marche building(which reminds me of the inside of a TAFE...:s) which we were a tad late for I think cos the peer networker got lost on the way to the rooms. In essence what happened at the faculty talk could be summed up with: Don't plagiarise or the uni will bitchslap you hard and your student diary is awesoma powah! Then by this time its 1:00 pm, and we get free sausage sandwhiches.

I felt the day wasn't useful as it didn't inform me of anything new, there wasn't anything in particular to do except listen to stuff I already knew and as far as it goes with meeting people doing your course...well I didn't really get to do that at all. Meh, maybe its just me but I would rather not have gone...

Last edited:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Oh thanks for that Kami. I had every intention to go, but then went shopping instead, which seemed like more fun at the time, and I think it probably was by your account of the day :p

Clutch.

HSC
:wave:
kami said:
le Summary of Orientation day:

At around 10 am we were sat in this upstairs room with a poncy law dude who made special mention of Abbotseligh girls. Then a large projector was turned on and we got to watch the faculty in the other room(there were so many of us that we had to be moved somewhere else) sit in their fancy medieval dresses and we were told the kind of details about them you might see on a singles site...(This is fred and he likes long walks on the beach...that sort of thing) as well as reminiscence of when UTS was *this* big. Then as a token to their diverse nature they had five minutes of indigenous dancing. This finished at 11 am at which time we had a half hour break in which to drink stuff(not alcohol).

11:30 am, having a poncy dude in medieval robes regurgitate some basic information till just past 12:00 pm. This is when we were led to a little faculty talk in the Bon Marche building(which reminds me of the inside of a TAFE...:s) which we were a tad late for I think cos the peer networker got lost on the way to the rooms. In essence what happened at the faculty talk could be summed up with: Don't plagiarise or the uni will bitchslap you hard and your student diary is awesoma powah! Then by this time its 1:00 pm, and we get free sausage sandwhiches.

I felt the day wasn't useful as it didn't inform me of anything new, there wasn't anything in particular to do except listen to stuff I already knew and as far as it goes with meeting people doing your course...well I didn't really get to do that at all. Meh, maybe its just me but I would rather not have gone...

Thanks heaps dude, stoked I worked instead.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Word to everything kami said except I did meet some people which actually made it worthwhile. I went at the 2pm session so I think the fact that it was so intimate made it a little easier. I'm going on Wednesday too, to check out Union clubs and maybe take my own campus tour (the 'official' ones are full!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)