• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Othello: Iago's Manipulation of Cassio, Emilia, Desdemona and Roderigo HELP (1 Viewer)

Noobtron

HSC
After it asks us to discuss how his manipulation of these characters sheds light on his dealings with othello

Im not stupid, i know how he manipulates all the characters but what does the last part of this question mean

nina121314

HSC
i think its asking how Iago manipulates CAssio, Emilia DEsdemona and Rodrigo in order to seek revenge on Othello; which is his whole focus. he has to manipulate the other characters to get to othello. does that help?

nina121314

HSC
by "dealings with othello" means how iago got othello to kill desdemona and in the end himself.
so its asking how iago uses these characters to get othello to kill himself (seeking his revenge on othello)

its a hard question to understand.

ccc123

HSC
We are doing Othello as a text, in particular analysing Iago as the archetype of the villian. In terms of how he manipulates others, i would mention:

a) The way he exploits the weaknesses (and strengths) of his victims. E.g. In Othello, He perceives "his free and open nature", andd manipluates it to his own advantage.

b) Another thing I find intriguing about his maniplative prowess is he actually doesn't have to do much (other than dropping a hankachief), and yet, he causes so much destruction. He is able to provoke a virtual metamorphoisis within Othello- transforming him from a blissful newlywed to murder in three days.

c) He also manipulates all the characters you mentioned through his "honest" public persona, and this facade fools all- including his own wife.

d) Look at language techinques too, as these are yet another source of Iago's manipulative power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)