Othello is relevant to contemporary society? (1 Viewer)

ellejay91

HSC
Advanced english assessment coming up and i would appreciate any help!! In-class essay...

"William Shakespeare's Othello is a play that explores ideas and issues that are particulary relevant for contemporary society." Discuss

bored of sc

HSC
Definitely agree with that statement. Choose maybe 3-5 themes in Othello and explain each one briefly linking it to a modern event or way of thinking (e.g. racism in Othello to Cronulla riots). Or go all out and do one major theme and have each paragraph as an aspect of that theme (e.g. for manipulation you could have facades, motivations/psychoanalytical aspects and something else as your aspects of that one theme).

What I am trying to say for the one theme thing is have maybe manipulation as used by Iago as the major concept or thesis if you like. Then each paragraph goes into depth about the aspects/means by which Iago achieves his manipulation of those around him (i.e. putting on facades of honesty, what are his motivations for his hatred of Othello? could it be jealousy, inherent racism, homosexuality etc?) - then link this to the Cronulla riots, explaining that althougth it is approximately 400 years on and the lifestyles of the Renaissance and the contemporary world have major contrasts, many of the aspects of life and experience remain the same - making the themes of Othello universal and transcendent through the ages (timeless). Example: racism - in Shakespeare's Othello, Iago's strong hatred of the Moor is purely irrational and is a learned vice. Much the same is the violence and racial abuse of the Lebanese during the Cronulla riots of the 21st century (I do understand there are two sides to the Cronulla riots but to better suit the task you are doing I am bending the truth).

If that doesn't work maybe try another modern text, a good one being Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird.' It has phrases like 'Nigger-lover' and definitely highlights the irrationality of society's inherent racism as also present in Othello. This shows how the thematic concerns in Othello affect the modern world, thus emphasising that these themes are relevant for contemporary society.

To put it simply: the themes of Othello are still present in today's society (racism, facades, self-interest, military/war things, the nature of relationships (both physical/sexual/emotional and professional), murder, suicide, death etc).

Last edited:

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
I did an Othello interview not long ago.

Why do you believe Shakespeare’s plays particularly Othello are described as ‘timeless” and are still relevant to contemporary society 400 years on?
[FONT=&quot]Shakespeare’s plays have a strong focus on themes that are still as relevant as they were 400years ago. Unfortunately, humanities flaws haven’t changed, although you can describe the 21st century as a “contemporary society” it hasn’t changed a great deal from the patriarchal and prejudice society that Shakespeare set his plays in. Humans still create and conform to racist stereotypes and the greed for power and control has destructive impacts. These same concepts are depicted throughout Othello – Iago’s grab and greed for power and control, and the driving theme of jealousy, promoted across various characters including Othello, Iago and Roderigo[/FONT]

What do you believe to be the purpose of “Othello”?
This was actually a question I asked myself. I believe that it was intended to challenge and question the flaws of humans and make people stop, take a step back and watch themselves from the outside. It challenges the thinking process and challenges prejudice, demonstrating the impacts of racism and the consequences of evil

It might help. Check out spark notes if you need some more info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)