Othello quotes/language techniques (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Could anyone provide me with a language technique for each of the quotes below? I got half yearlies for English tomorrow :D.
  1. 'She'd come again with a greedy ear, devour up my discourse; which I observing' - this quote demonstrates Desdemona as a sexual character upon Othello, appearing remarkably aggressive and forward in Othello's account, particularly to renaissance expectations of female behaviour.
  2. 'That with some mixtures powerful o'er the blood or with some dram conjured effect he wrought upon her' - which accuses Othello of using black magic upon Desdemona (Emotive language?)
  3. 'To fall in love with what she feared on' - this situation is occuring in prejudice between Brabantio and Othello, whilst Brabantio is racist due to Othello's skin colour while Othello's an outsider of the Venetian Society.
Thanks.

Edit: I posted each meaning for each quote, if that helps :). I'm just not sure of each language technique.

Last edited:

namburger

Noob Member
HSC
im a failure in english, so you should take my suggestions as last resort:

3. juxtaposition.

bored of sc

HSC
Razizi said:
Could anyone provide me with a language technique for each of the quotes below? I got half yearlies for English tomorrow :D.
  1. 'She'd come again with a greedy ear, devour up my discourse; which I observing' - this quote demonstrates Desdemona as a sexual character upon Othello, appearing remarkably aggressive and forward in Othello's account, particularly to renaissance expectations of female behaviour.
  2. 'That with some mixtures powerful o'er the blood or with some dram conjured effect he wrought upon her' - which accuses Othello of using black magic upon Desdemona (Emotive language?)
  3. 'To fall in love with what she feared on' - this situation is occuring in prejudice between Brabantio and Othello, whilst Brabantio is racist due to Othello's skin colour while Othello's an outsider of the Venetian Society.
Thanks.

Edit: I posted each meaning for each quote, if that helps :). I'm just not sure of each language technique.
1. anthropomorphism? - giving animal characteristics to a human body part (ear) - hmmm, well if not it is uses alliteration (devour up my discourse is a strong/powerful syllabic sound) which has a brutal and unpleasant effect on the ear/auditory imagery (negative), thus mirroring the negative predicament of Othello - struck with confusion - mind, matter and motivation playing a key part in his eventual brutal decision to murder Desdemona - use a kind of chain of thought kind of thing - linking similiar ideas like brutality, negativity, strength etc

2. hmmmm, not too sure, could be metonymy (met - on - y - my): when a word is replaced with another word, but is associated in some way - instead of saying "Othello poisioned Des with powerful magic and potions" Shakespeare makes the character state "mixtures powerful over the blood... dram conjured effect." What I mean is that Shakespeare uses these words instead of clearly identifying what Othello has done as magic because he assumes the responder knows the implicit ideas/connotations associated with "mixtures powerful over the blood" and "some dram conjured effect." This therefore creates interest in the play.

3. Juxtaposition as above is correct. Its contrasting love and fear - two emotions/concepts at the opposite sides of the spectrum (love = usually good, fear = usually bad). Also alliteration is also used once again "with what" - soft sounds of 'w' suggests fear is something associated with weakness and feminity. Thus, Brabantio deduces that Desdemona's fear and stereotypically weak nature (as women were thought to be relatively weak) is the reason she is in a relationship with Othello.

Um, there are probably so many techniques, but as I and you have probably found, they are so hard to find :cold: oh well - Damn Shakespeare :vcross:

you could go back to the basics like first person narration, verbs, adjectives etc if you are in doubt :)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Thanks namburger and bored of sc :). Bored of sc... REMOVE THOSE 2 ANGRY FACES NEAR ENGLISH! :D. Thanks again.

bored of sc

HSC
there you go, actually I do like it at the moment - we are doing poetry and speeches - right up my alley :)

with the techniques in those three lines
- "fall in love" is almost a cliche these days - so from a modern perspective it can means love is overrated and idolised and thus, Desdemona and Othello's relationship is taken too seriously - maybe they should all just chill out - this chilling out was actually needed in order to restore the normality to all their lives, unfortunately death and ruination of lives is the unwanted result of not recovering from the upseting series of events Iago created (some would argue) :(
- the use of conjunctions/linking words at the beginning of sentences, apostrophes and phrases that are almost tautology (needs repetition of the same idea) all add to the informal nature of the language which suggests a conversational tone to the situation, however this light feel is juxtaposed with the 'heavy', inevitabilty fatal words spoken. This creates foreshadowing and prophetic irony as quote number 1 shows Othello is so damn clueless/naive to know the true nature of Desdemona :( it depresses me (lol)!

does that waffle make sense??

Last edited:

Fortian09

HSC
Hi can someone give me some good quotes from othello?
I have an in-class essay to do and my mind is completely blank

thanks in advance for the help :D

bored of sc

HSC
Barbary Horse” (Act 1, Scene 1)

“put money in thy purse” (Act 1, Scene 3)

“Divinity of Hell!” (Act 2, Scene 3)

“her virtue into pitch And out of her own goodness make the net that shall enmesh them all.” (Act 2, Scene 3)

“murderous coxcomb” (Act 5, Scene 2)

“Villainy!” (Act 5, Scene 2)

“O thou dull Moor” (Act 5, Scene 2)

They are the quotes I used in my essay in term 1. There are heaps of other good ones, particularly the soliloquies.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Use 'strumpet' as well, as said by Othello to Desdemona due to her infidelity and unfaithfulness :D.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Thanks namburger and bored of sc :). Bored of sc... REMOVE THOSE 2 ANGRY FACES NEAR ENGLISH! :D. Thanks again.
He has angry faces on PDHPE :(

bored of sc

HSC
Aplus said:
He has angry faces on PDHPE :(
sorry to get off the topic of the thread but I dislike PDHPE as I find the content is not interesting - it's the highly probable dropping subject at the moment

On thread topic: Othello's political position at the top of the military ranks (as General) has fatal ramifications. He did not abide to the dominant hegemony or stereotypical viewpoint of the Vietian society at that time; the view being total and utter white superiority. Iago succeeds in ruining Othello's life and the quote that best sums up Othello's changed status and thus, nature is by Emilia. After Othello has killed Desdemona Emilia, struck with grief, states "O thou dull Moor." The racist connotations suggest that merely Othello's skin colour is also a hint as to internal qualities such as naivety and oblivion. Thus, it is racism that prevails and it is Othello and Desdemona, the portagonists that lose the battle of life.

Last edited:

deliberately

HSC
good lord i hate othello.

assessment due thursday.
it's a speech.
i haven't started.

...i suck at life.

p.s. totes stole everyone's idea with the whole smiley faces next to your subs in your sig. heh.

Fortian09

HSC
bored of sc said:
Barbary Horse” (Act 1, Scene 1)

“put money in thy purse” (Act 1, Scene 3)

“Divinity of Hell!” (Act 2, Scene 3)

“her virtue into pitch And out of her own goodness make the net that shall enmesh them all.” (Act 2, Scene 3)

“murderous coxcomb” (Act 5, Scene 2)

“Villainy!” (Act 5, Scene 2)

“O thou dull Moor” (Act 5, Scene 2)

They are the quotes I used in my essay in term 1. There are heaps of other good ones, particularly the soliloquies.
I know i sound picky but could i get an explanation of those?

bored of sc

HSC
Fortian09 said:
I know i sound picky but could i get an explanation of those?
sure, although this is MY interpretation and not yours, so you could totally disagree:

“Barbary Horse” (Act 1, Scene 1): this quote is said before Othello enters the play (delayed entrance of Othello). It essentially compares Othello to an animal incapable of virtuous human qualities. The choice of the words 'barbary' and 'horse' is demeaning to Othello as it implies he is a brutal and domineering person. This is in keeping with the stereotypical assumption of black-skinned men as violent and physical being. The society of Venice in the 1600's was highly racist - and the above quote is a clear testament to this.

“put money in thy purse” (Act 1, Scene 3): Iago is convincing Roderigo that Othello and Desdemona's relationship is soon to end and thus, Rod can soon woo/court Desdemona. He repeats "puts money on thy purse" a myraid of times to communicate to both Roderigo and the responder that Othello and Desdemona are merely having a physical fling, a lustful, only sexual relationship. The reference to money in a modern context is also very untrustworthy. This emphasises that it is really Iago that is weaving his truly evil plot to destroy Othello. there's more but that's the crux of it

“Divinity of Hell!” (Act 2, Scene 3):this oxymoronic Biblical allusion (oxymoron because it juxtaposes two opposite meaning ideas of divinity: heavenly, good, angelic qualities and hell: the home of all that is evil. Biblical allusion becuase it makes reference to the devil and hell as used in Bible story). At first interpretation it seems as though the two ideas are incongruent and non-sensical but after further reading and analysis it becomes apparent that Iago is working to ruin Othello. The means he uses are highly evil, fit for the devil. Divine is used in this case as supremely in a negative, evil context. Truth be told, it is Iago who is the divinity of hell, the devil incarnate; it is his facades of honesty, subtle powers of manipulation and personal control over Othello's life that holistically encapsulate his evil ways.

“her virtue into pitch And out of her own goodness make the net that shall enmesh them all.” (Act 2, Scene 3): 'virtue into pitch' is juxtaposition and contrast as when pitch is used stereotypically in a white superior society to mean evil and negative - pitch, blackness, the absence of colour, the absence of purity becomes the binary opposite of antithesis of virtue and good-natured characteristics. 'Her' is Desdemona as it is her weakness, femininty and underdying trust in Iago that allows him to take advantage of her and intertwine his devilish plans of planting the handkerchief etc (you know that plan). Much the a spider's web, the metaphor "and out of the goodness make the net that shall enmesh them all" means the more Desdemona's tries to overcome and resolve Othello's doubts in her fidelity the more entangled and helpless she becomes (the more a spider's prey tries to escape from the web the more entangled, tired and helpless it becomes). Thus, it is envitable. Desdemona is helpless :( (awww!).

“murderous coxcomb” (Act 5, Scene 2): forget what this one means a little, I think coxcomb means dumb and naive - so it means Othello is a dumb murderous - a killer due to his lack of informed decision making and a lack of trust in Desdemona unwavering faithfulness.

“Villainy!” (Act 5, Scene 2): as it suggests, the exclaimation mark and repetition of the word emphasises its paramount expressive meaning - it is said by Emilia and directed at Othello. It is this quote that sums up Othello's changed nature of protagonist to villian (if you think of it that way).

“O thou dull Moor” (Act 5, Scene 2: Moor is the racist term Othello was subject to. 'Dull' is again a image of a stagnent, dim-witted, outright dumb man who was too quick to act in killing Desdemona. 'O' enhances the despair Emilia is suffering due to the death of her best friend Desdemona.

Last edited:

SimonLee13

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
you've missed the best quote: Black ram tapping your white ewe
The one quote everybody remembers :D

"My Life upon her faith"

"But do love thee! And when I love thee not, chaos is come again"

Simple foreshadowing.

HSC
act three scene three- Iago uses ethos, "i know our country's disposition well/ they do not show their husbands their best conscience"- to manipulate Othello's racial insecurity and this causes Othello to question his relationship with Desdemona and believe that she may be unfaithful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)