Other commerce careers then accounting? (1 Viewer)

Kolmias

HSC
Hey everyone,

On this subforum, there's a lot of talk about accounting and finance. Does anyone have any experience about any other professional commerce careers and your experiences with them? Like information systems, business analysts, human resources, construction management, business development (sales), operations?

Thanks!

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
There are heaps of jobs in commerce. My advice would be to start off by googling some financial institutions (banks, trading firms, asset managers, insurance companies, etc) and read up on their business groups. E.g. Go here, click on "Business Areas" and click through each of the links and see what they do. Do this for a number of different firms (even if they don't have a specific careers page their "What we do" page can also be useful to understand at a high level).

Of course roles like risk management, HR, business analysts, etc are all roles that can also be found in non-financial companies, so maybe google the mining companies and see how they manage commodity price risk, etc.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd also suggest looking at the various majors/submajors on offer for those who study Commerce or Business at various universities. These pages will give you a good insight into other roles out there.

For what it's worth, when I look back at my friends who all did Commerce with me back in 2006-09, most have changed roles to move 'into the business' or beyond just accounting/finance, or just changing direction altogether.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)