Our Government should introduce a 'concession card'.. (2 Viewers)

HSC
For paying for petrol, going to woolies and spending enough for people to get 5cents per ltr isn't enough, this is just my opinions, i know it's kinda difficult to be saying something like this because people will think it's ridiculous lol. But if we do have something like this, i don't know whether or not something like this has been mentioned or discussed. This is how it should be if its likely to have something like this in placed.

Family with bigger cars should have (1-100% (?) off, when they go to spend ($??) amount, they'll have their total cost of spending petrol price cut off because of their family car....

Smaller cars would tend to spend less on petrol, thus should have less amount taken off when they go to fill up their car and etc...

big trucks, motor bikes???

i'll add some more thoughts & get back soon on this topic, any ideas, suggestions or thoughts about this etc would be nice, thanks :)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
All measures regarding petrol prices should be aimed at encouraging the use of alternatives.
The existence of high prices is the market telling us that there is simply not enough oil to meet demand. Artifically reducing natural prices prevents the expected solution to problems such as peak oil from occuring. It delays the inevitable, and makes the problems worse for the future.

Spending should be spent on shifting energy use to the alternatives, as well as improving public transport capacity and coverage.

We have to discard our unrealistic reliance on petrol and cars. The high price of petrol at the moment is causing short term pain, but it is essential for the long term

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
For paying for petrol, going to woolies and spending enough for people to get 5cents per ltr isn't enough, this is just my opinions, i know it's kinda difficult to be saying something like this because people will think it's ridiculous lol. But if we do have something like this, i don't know whether or not something like this has been mentioned or discussed. This is how it should be if its likely to have something like this in placed.

Family with bigger cars should have (1-100% (?) off, when they go to spend ($??) amount, they'll have their total cost of spending petrol price cut off because of their family car....

Smaller cars would tend to spend less on petrol, thus should have less amount taken off when they go to fill up their car and etc...

You mean we should take away incentive to purchase fuel efficient vehicles in times of high petrol prices? :confused:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Just announced by the government:

Fuel hikes: $1.6b LPG giveaway

Prime Minister John Howard has outlined a $1.6 billion, eight-year program to ease the pain of high petrol prices on motorists.

Outlining a multi-pronged plan, Mr Howard said from today the government would contribute $1000 towards the purchase cost of new factory-fitted LPG powered vehicles.

The government will also provide a $2000 grant to the cost of converting cars to LPG for private use.

Mr Howard said LPG would, on the fuel bill for a six-cylinder vehicle travelling 15,000 kilometres a year, save around $27 a week or $1400 a year in fuel costs.[...]

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/fuel-hikes-16b-lpg-giveaway/2006/08/14/1155407723177.html
Also suggest a clearer thread name.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rafy said:
All measures regarding petrol prices should be aimed at encouraging the use of alternatives.
The existence of high prices is the market telling us that there is simply not enough oil to meet demand. Artifically reducing natural prices prevents the expected solution to problems such as peak oil from occuring. It delays the inevitable, and makes the problems worse for the future.

Spending should be spent on shifting energy use to the alternatives, as well as improving public transport capacity and coverage.

We have to discard our unrealistic reliance on petrol and cars. The high price of petrol at the moment is causing short term pain, but it is essential for the long term
Spending money on LPG causes a run on the LPG producers, who then incorporate the 2K into their profit margin. Let prices do their job.

HSC
Rafy said:

i agree what you've said on using alternatives like public transport, but then again with slow trains and all, people really gets stuck in between, i heard something about those light trains that we have in the city and how how we should expand more light rails outside the city up to Parramatta and etc, anyone heard of that? i think our state government don't approve it or something lol.

Optophobia

HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:

i'll add some more thoughts & get back soon on this topic, any ideas, suggestions or thoughts about this etc would be nice, thanks :)
Anything you may suggest to lower fuel prices suggests that a) the companies have a heart and b) the government has a heart.

They don't.

Also, what are you talking about? You sound like you're struggling with English..

- This would encourage people to buy bigger cars.
- What is so special about "family" cars?
- What?

- To lower fuel costs, we need to invest in alternate technologies.
- To invest in alternate technologies, we need a government who isn't fucking the oil companies of a Friday night.
- We don't.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I rkn people who drive SVUs should have the price of petrol doubled, and that money can be used to subsidise the rest of us who are responsible and drive fuel efficient cars.

lengy

HSC
I disagree, those who opt for larger cars are already paying more due to their cars using more fuel. Let the market and the buyers decide what vehicle they choose to drive.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Malfoy said:
Agreed, let the market decide.

However, Justin, what do you think of 40c/litre fuel excise tax?
1. Fuel is relatively inelastic.
2. It serves as a user pays system for the roads.
I don't have a massive problem with it, when compared to other taxes anyway.

Optophobia

HSC
Serius said:
I rkn people who drive SVUs should have the price of petrol doubled, and that money can be used to subsidise the rest of us who are responsible and drive fuel efficient cars.
You're probably joking, but if not.. how would it be policed?

lala2

Banned
HSC
I think they should introduce greater incentives for alternative fuels such as ethanol, and perhaps one too for buying environmentally friendly cars, like hybrids (can you even get them in Australia?), e.g. subsidising the cost of maintaining car selling businesses so that they charge less, as they have less to cover, and so such cars would go just that little bit cheaper. These are just ideas--I really have no idea of practical ways to implement them, but petrol is getting expensive and something has to be done about them.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Give it 5 years, petrol will be up to $3 a litre and everybody will be seriously considering hybrids/electrics.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
hybrids really arent that good, i have a small car which is exceptional on fuel economy and a normal sized car hybrid would be about the same. people are surprised that i can fill up for about 35$ and i havent felt any major burn in my pocket from rises in petrol price. Its honnestly not that hard to just buy a smaller car, you will save alot in petrol, parking is easy and you can feel good about helping the environment.

The thing about the SUV double price was a joke, but i dont see it being that hard to impliment. The petrol cashier looks out the window and presses an SUV button which doubles the price of that guys petrol. Simple.

lengy

HSC
There are hybrids already on the market in Australia lala2.

The Toyota Prius Mark II, the Honda Civic Hybrid, the Lexus GS450h and the Lexus LS450h.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)