Our Whole Class Is Gettin Misadventure (1 Viewer)

Brianna

King of the World
HSC
Our modern history class is putting in for misadventure... becoz for half of the year we had self directed classes coz our teacher bailed on us. The supervisor said that tuition isnt usually taken as misadventure, but she said it has happened before so we can try for it....

it'll be good if we get it coz we had to teach ourselves the syllabus for like 7 months or sumthing... and we only had a casual teacher a coupla times.

:rolleyes:

Brianna

King of the World
HSC
ohh its not his fault... he got really sick and couldnt teach again.... and the stupid skool neva put another teacher on for us... retards

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
you should have taken the initiative to ask another teacher for help or bring the issue up with your school months ago. Misadventure only gives youyour assessment mark anyway so you'd wanna hope you did alright during the year. This doesn' sound like grounds for misadventure to me though.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Yeh hmm sounds pretty slack that no one bothered to try and get a replacement teacher....I would be mighty pissed off I that happened to me...surely there were other teachers in the HSIE department that could've taken over???

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Isn't that just like studnets who have non face to face lessons because theres not enough in the class to get a teacher?

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
If the reason you did not get a replacement teacher is due to "shortage of teachers" that's surely a misadventure, other than that if your class didn't bother trying to get a replacement teacher, then thats not a misadventure

Anyways good luck~ sounds terrible from my perspective

kazerati

yeh, bummer to you guys!!!

i kno EXACTLY how you feel -

we had 11 different teachers for pdhpe during the course of the year. it sucked big time!!!!!!

i kno that to some of you this will just sound like a general winge, but unless youve been in the situation, keep your mouth closed!!

we as a class did everything we could to fix the situation - we complained to the principal, the vice, every single teacher we had (including the bio sub who didnt know anything we had for an entire term!!!!)
finally, the skool thought that it might be a good idea to give us priority and get the proper pdhpe teacher to take 8/8 classes in a fortnight (instead of the 1/8 we started off with).

so, as a result, the pdh teacher and the vice sat down and estimated our assessment marks, and they were pretty generous..

but like Ms 12 said, it is just assessment, n now its up to us to make the most of our exam...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
you should have taken the initiative to ask another teacher for help or bring the issue up with your school months ago.
It is the duty of the school to replace a teacher who can not fulfil their position, not the students.
Misadventure only gives youyour assessment mark anyway so you'd wanna hope you did alright during the year.
That's not true, there are several methods of rectifying disadvantages depending on circumstance. In this case their assessment marks would be worthless because they had no teacher to teach them, so BOS would find another method of adjusting to make things more fair for this class.
This doesn' sound like grounds for misadventure to me though.
Irrelevant. You don't know the details of the situation, nor the guidelines under which BOS must handle it. Anyway, you have no basis for comparison. :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
It is the duty of the school to replace a teacher who can not fulfil their position, not the students.
I never said it was the students duty. In a perfect world the school would have bowed to your every whim and fancy, but unfortunately the school system is flawed, and so if a student is serious about their learning they should be the ones to make sure they have sufficient tuition. You can't just sit back all year and when it comes to exam time say 'hey, I can get misadventure for this!'

That's not true, there are several methods of rectifying disadvantages depending on circumstance. In this case their assessment marks would be worthless because they had no teacher to teach them, so BOS would find another method of adjusting to make things more fair for this class.
You need to read the guidelines Lexicographer and stop making false arguments. Misadventure compares your exam mark and your assessment mark. You are saying that their assessment marks will not have been fair--BOS will NEVER give you a higher mark than your assessment mark (unless of course you obtain it in an exam!) for misadventure because you cannot just assume that this class would have done better with more instruction. It simply doesn't work that way.

Irrelevant. You don't know the details of the situation, nor the guidelines under which BOS must handle it. Anyway, you have no basis for comparison. :)
Actually, have you ever read a misadventure form? This is NOT listed on that form as a grounds for misadventure. And don't tell me my opinion is irrelevant, Brianna wouldn't have posted this if it was not open to opinion.

Fuck I hate you Lexicographer.

Tuition will rarely be accepted as a grounds for misadventure. Anyone could complain about the teaching they recieved in that case. The HSC carries a certain responsibility that you will take initiative for your own learning, and if you don't feel you have been instructed properly you go and seek alternative means of learning.

is a roflcopter
HSC
lol

i think its bad timing and it sounds dodgy when you file for something like that AFTER the exam.

but yeah who gives a fuck about the system
hope you get some bonus marks brianna anyway

Universal

HSC
N/A
Yeah i didn't have a business teacher for the entire year either... well actually i lie. I did infact have a business teacher who could not speak a word of English let alone spell Business. Umma mia at the teaching standards of public schools. And funny enough there are worse, much much worse. For example one of the teachers who also struggles with his english and leaves his classes unattended to smoke pot with the senior boys.
It's heaps hard when you have conditions like that, and everyone keeps rambling on saying 'oh but you should take it upon yourself etc.. etc..' So yeah i can definately sympathise with Brianna, and although i don't have to grounds to apply as i did actually have a teacher... i say goodluck to you.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I maintain that this is just whinging. If Brianna and her class were really finding it a problem they would have done something.
I had a science teacher that was completely and utterly useless (like Im talking seriously; she had been in mental institutions and couldn't handle a class, and seemed to know nothing about the subject always contradicting the textbook), so instead of sitting around and waiting till exam time to use it as an excuse to apply for misadventure, I sought help from other science teachers as well as the deputy.

Universal

HSC
N/A
Yeah i did that also, i'm just saying that if people were smart enough to try and gain extra marks from it all, goodluck to them.

Brianna

King of the World
HSC
okay okay let me explain this situation further: for about 7 months my class of 9 students did not have a teacher because our regualr teacher was sick. My school is a small country high school and he was the only modern history teacher available. We tried to get in replacemnt teachers, and we did have a casual teacher for a short amount of time but she was only there to give out photocopies, she did not teach the class. We then terminated having a modern history class and we all made summaries of the syllabus at home. On the day of our modern history exam we talked to the supervisor and she said for us to go for misadventure becoz it has happened to an art class 3 years ago and they all got scaled up. We talked to the principal and deputy and year advisor for the whole 7 months and they couldnt cough up a teacher for us so we had to make do with wat we had... You can all say what you like about it but i really dont care because we had to suffer all year and if we can get extra marks i am bloody thrilled!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Fuck I hate you Lexicographer.
Touch.

I am very, very glad this is the case. If you had said anything less strong I would have felt like an absolute failure, because I would HATE myself if I'd (God forbid) fallen into favour with someone so poisonous as YOU.

removed out of courtesy

I have better things to do than argue about a problem which can no longer be resolved. Just try not to be such a fucking strumpet when you reply to people's problems, your attitude to people seriously pisses me off (as it does many other members).

Last edited:

trapey

bravo lexicographer! i think its good you are at least offering genuine and constructive advice on brianna's situation instead of being a spiteful and presumptuous fuckwit like Ms 12.
i too have appealed for illness/misadventure,however in my case due to an attack of giardia - not everyone is out to scam marks Ms 12, some people really have been disadvantaged. And if you've never experienced the education system via a small rural state high school(as i have also)than you wouldnt have a fucking clue how hard it is to attain assistance when your teachers leaves and its almost impossible to replace them

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
why did they wait until the day of the exam to apply for misadventure?
i have a couple of teachers who were useless to me so i taught myself at home whenever necessary and did my summaries and shit because they were hopeless teachers... but hey at least i HAD a teacher.. but still no help if they dont teach

btw let us know when you hear something brianna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)