• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Oxidation numbers (1 Viewer)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If the question states that "copper metal was added", we can assume that it's in its solid form, ie Cu with no charge. When it undergoes oxidation, it becomes Cu2+, because it tends to lose 2 electrons, I can't explain why it's 2 sorry. I would guess it's because copper has 2 electrons in the outter shell and would donate both rather than just one. I hope that helps.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Riviet said:
If the question states that "copper metal was added", we can assume that it's in its solid form, ie Cu with no charge. When it undergoes oxidation, it becomes Cu2+, because it tends to lose 2 electrons, I can't explain why it's 2 sorry. I would guess it's because copper has 2 electrons in the outter shell and would donate both rather than just one. I hope that helps.
Yeah, but solid copper can become Cu+ also. Check the table of standard potentials. :) That's what's kinda confusing... But I think the one they give in the HSC only has Cu2+. So it's all good :D

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
YBK said:
Yeah, but solid copper can become Cu+ also. Check the table of standard potentials. :) That's what's kinda confusing... But I think the one they give in the HSC only has Cu2+. So it's all good :D
They can put in Cu+ if they want to because it is in the data sheet anyway. It is more confusing if you do Shipwrecks option.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)