P and N-type semiconductors (1 Viewer)

BigBear_25

HSC
passion89 said:
I need some more info on them. Could someone clarify the concept of P- and N-type semiconductors?
  • In p-type semiconductors there are more positive holes than negative charge carriers. Elements such as aluminium and gallium (3 valence electrons) are used as doping agents with silicon to produce p-type semiconductors.

• In n-type semiconductors there are more negative charge carriers than positive holes. Elements, such as arsenic and phosphorus (5 valence electrons), are used as doping agents with silicon to produce n-type semiconductors.

passion89

HSC
So in other words, p type semiconductors aren't actually positive they're just more positive because there are more holes. And n type semiconductors are more negative because there are less holes?

I think I've got it. Thanks!

helper

HSC
N/A
They are not positive at all, there are holes in the lattice, where electrons would normally be. It is these wholes that move.

The semiconductor is still neutral.

del pietro

HSC
i'm a bit confused as to why the semiconductor still remains neutral after it has been doped??

something to do with the metallic holder??

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
They are still neutral after being doped because they are being doped with atoms that, while they have 5 electrons in the outer valence shell, they also have an extra proton in the nucleus to counterbalance the extra doped electron.

Likewise, when you dope with an atom with only 3 electrons in the outer valence shell, there is one less proton in the nucleus to counterbalance that.

Does that help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)