P-Plate drivers!! (1 Viewer)

neuro_logik

HSC
Minai said:
Too many young boys playing Initial D or Need for Speed and watching too much Fast and the Furious. You can't change the fact that these boys have no idea how to drive other than basic handling and this is the result. I agree that curfews will do nothing, but limiting the power of cars they drive would help.

It's interesting though, boys with those cars couldnt possibly afford them without some parental assistance, so its also up to the parents
I watch Initial D :p (I was shit at the game, only playd it once though), but I'm not that stupid to speed and drift down a mountain. Then again back on topic, I agree p-platers should learn more about advanced driving skills when and how to use them, but the most important thing is do not speed!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Minai said:
Too many young boys playing Initial D or Need for Speed and watching too much Fast and the Furious. You can't change the fact that these boys have no idea how to drive other than basic handling and this is the result. I agree that curfews will do nothing, but limiting the power of cars they drive would help.

It's interesting though, boys with those cars couldnt possibly afford them without some parental assistance, so its also up to the parents
You would think that people aged 17 or so would know the difference between reality and videogames.

Plus i saw on the news the other night that bob carr is completely against the curfew because p plates are quite often doing the right thing by working.

Its the few idiots that spoil it for the rest of us.

Senator04

HSC
N/A
I am sort of agreeing more or less with others but anyway...

The problem here is the NSW government is legislating for idiots. There are 200 000 P Platers in NSW and its something like 0.001% are involved in accidents. If you are doing 180km/h and slam into a power pole, then unfourtunatly it isnt the fact that you were a P Plater on the road late at night with three people in the car in a high powered car, but the fact you are an idiot driving at a speed well and truly over the limit. There were probably hundreds of P Platers in the same situation, that night but they werent killed. Why? Because they werent idiots.

Thats the problem with this, you put curfews or limits on passangers and power and it does nothing to the idiots who die in crashes they will still take the risk. All it does is screw over the 200 000 other P Platers who do the right thing. And 200 000 P Platers will make 200 000 voters very soon, and if this passes then Bob Carr is more screwed than he already is.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The curfew will not work, and I'm glad that Bob Carr happens to agree with this. As a musician, I sometimes get home at 1, 2am from performances, and I don't really feel like sleeping in my car until I can legally drive it home from the station.

That said, restrictions on P-platers Must be considered. I like the idea of limiting P-platers to 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder cars, but there are some cases (Especially in the country) where 8-cylinder cars are most appropriate.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Senator04 said:
If you are doing 180km/h and slam into a power pole, then unfourtunatly it isnt the fact that you were a P Plater on the road late at night with three people in the car in a high powered car, but the fact you are an idiot driving at a speed well and truly over the limit.

Thats the problem with this, you put curfews or limits on passangers and power and it does nothing to the idiots who die in crashes they will still take the risk. All it does is screw over the 200 000 other P Platers who do the right thing.
you just put into words what i haven't been able to formulate in my head properly

they see speed is the factor most of the time, then they say it's the fact they have a P or were driving at night

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
dave_119 said:
will we ever learn that driving is a priviledge and responsibility!! i thought this would have already been posted...
i read in todays paper! '100 hours of Kaos" or sumthn!! 4 horrorific accident, 3 involving a wrx and one skyline!!
thoughts?
Not all p-plate drivers are irresponsible when it comes to driving - SOME are. Recently I read in our papers one p-plater was clocked doing 50, 60k's over the speed limit. Another was caught speeding well over the limit AFTER losing his or her licence, + it wasn't the only time this p-plater was caught doing doing the same thing.

In Vic, authorities/police were looking at confiscating vehicles for traffic offences.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
According to the Sun Herald today the media has overplayed the situation. Whilst the duration we spend on our P-plates has risen, the actual amount of crashes and fatalities among L and P platers has fallen.

It's just that crashes in that age bracket get more publicity and the government has spasmodic reactions and start thinking up "quick fix" policies and acts that don't address the problem.

jameseginton

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
According to the Sun Herald today the media has overplayed the situation. Whilst the duration we spend on our P-plates has risen, the actual amount of crashes and fatalities among L and P platers has fallen.

It's just that crashes in that age bracket get more publicity and the government has spasmodic reactions and start thinking up "quick fix" policies and acts that don't address the problem.
That was true it was an article by Miranda Divine and showed that per capita fatalities amongst p-plate drivers has fallen. This suggests a similar idea to 1984 and the ability of the media create a truth, although there still remains a problem with p-plate drivers

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
jameseginton said:
That was true it was an article by Miranda Divine and showed that per capita fatalities amongst p-plate drivers has fallen. This suggests a similar idea to 1984 and the ability of the media create a truth, although there still remains a problem with p-plate drivers
There isn't really a problem with p plate drivers only a few drivers who think that its cool to drive at 180km an hour ... why can't they drive at a race track! I know eastern creek has nights where u can pay $15 a drag - under controlled conditions.

jameseginton

HSC
Cape said:
There isn't really a problem with p plate drivers only a few drivers who think that its cool to drive at 180km an hour ... why can't they drive at a race track! I know eastern creek has nights where u can pay $15 a drag - under controlled conditions.
I would believe its more the thrill of breaking the law and showing off to their friends rather than a real longing to drive fast, otherwise why wouldnt they get into motor sports. These people obviously have an inferiority complex and drive fast to compensate.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
just because u can drive fast doesn't mean u can get into motorsports.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
i think the fastest i have ever driven is 80km/hr there has been no need to go faster

90 on the freeway for me.......i dont see why ppl feel they need to go faster than the speed limit.....is it to show off?? look good??........i guess u dont look too good when ur dead........my friends finace was a p-plater....18 yrs old.....versed his friends in a car race through a street with many bends.....hes dead now......along with the passenger and the guy in the back seat is paralysed....y?.....so they can race their damn cars....:(

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
I've gone 180 before, on a deserted freeway at about 2:30. I just wanted to get home, but there was also the element of wanting to beat my mate's car. I'm not sure if it's just a guy thing, or whether it's just a personal competitive thing, but it's fun. I'm not saying it's OK or that I will ever do it again, because it's not and I probably won't, but it is understandable. I think the real issue is making young drivers skilled enough that when they inevitably do speed or come across someone speeding, or get in the car with someone that is gonna speed, they know how to handle it. The desire to speed can't be legislated against, or the desire to look cool, and so a different way has to be found to deal with it. Make driver training courses compulsory for all L and P platers, make driver education a bigger part of the PE curriculum at schools, reinforce the idea that speeding is a fucking stupid thing to do.
The bottom line is, as I see it, that some people will do stupid things no matter what, so we have to make sure that they and others are well enough equiped to deal with speeding when it happens. And a curfew is not the way to do that.

And Argonaut, I'm pretty sure that Dave was demonstrating the type of cars usually involved in high-speed crashes, not any sort of regret that they'd been crashed. It'd be like saying the crash involved a hotted-up excel - it's not the car that's important, it's the attitude of the owner that that type of car demonstrates. At least, that's how I read the comment.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The idea that "kids will speed, so we should teach them how to speed well" is really stupid. We should be reinforcing the idea that if they speed, they will die.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Phanatical said:
The idea that "kids will speed, so we should teach them how to speed well" is really stupid. We should be reinforcing the idea that if they speed, they will die.
As a friend from work was telling me, "People smuggle drugs into countries where the offence carries a death penalty, yet these people still do it"

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
We do that now, and it doesn't work. Would you rather have some stupid arrogant teenager in a Skyline burning along a freeway at 190, or a stupid arrogant teenager burning along a freeway at least knowing what to do if his car starts to slide out? As I said, it's always going to happen - there's no way to stop it - so we should be focusing more on how to decrease the impact of it. It's like safe injecting rooms - junkies are going to be using heroin anyway, so they might as well do it in a safe, controlled enviornment, decreasing the risk to themselves and potentially those around them.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
This debate is starting to sound strangely familiar.

If you go around telling people "i know you're gonna speed, so here's how to do it well", you're gonna ENCOURAGE people to think that "oh, I know how to drive well at incredibly high speeds, so it's okay for me to do it!" and then all you're gonna end up with are increased fatalities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)