• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

P-Plate Restrictions (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
but the peer pressure will always be there with any car, the cars should not be blamed, after there is very little reason why you cant handle it? if you are following the rules it doesnt matter. most of the crashes are cause by speeding rite? but you can speed with any car, are you saying by removing powerful cars the number accidents will decrease? i cant see how. statistics are always made to show only one point view never the other.

i am just saying instead just removing cars and stuff, the government should do more, its like cigarrettes, the government didnt remove them? yet it would be the most obviuos thing to do, to avoid lung cancer (of course there are political reasons behind this) depression and so on. this is the same case here they are just doing the most stupid thing. that is not addressing the problem the right way, but rather going round in circles.

tennille

HSC
HotShot said:
but the peer pressure will always be there with any car, the cars should not be blamed, after there is very little reason why you cant handle it? if you are following the rules it doesnt matter. most of the crashes are cause by speeding rite? but you can speed with any car, are you saying by removing powerful cars the number accidents will decrease? i cant see how. statistics are always made to show only one point view never the other.
I do agree with you but by having the option of driving fast (I know you can do that with a normal 4 or 6 cylinder, but all that shit you can do with a V8 that you can't do with the others), more people give in to that urge. With a 4 cylinder car, they wouldn't really have that urge.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
faster acceleration.

but faster acceleration = easier to lose control.

but, i guess the falcons and commodorres have traction control these days.
that is wrong in our context, because we are talking new drivers, that havent yet driven a car before as such they cannot compare the accerlaration of another car. so basically first time driver sits sports model falcon, for him the acceleration is standard that is he accustomed to it, if he moves another car he will feel the difference. if you arguing like this it would be best to give powerful cars to new drivers so that can learn to drive in these vechicles and later they should be able to handle most vechicles.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
HotShot said:
that is wrong in our context, because we are talking new drivers, that havent yet driven a car before as such they cannot compare the accerlaration of another car. so basically first time driver sits sports model falcon, for him the acceleration is standard that is he accustomed to it, if he moves another car he will feel the difference. if you arguing like this it would be best to give powerful cars to new drivers so that can learn to drive in these vechicles and later they should be able to handle most vechicles.
you can't seriously say a monaro is just as easy to drive as a camry...

escpecially in the older models without traction control.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
A newbie driver is more likely to lose control of a powerful car than a low powered car. Sure all cars can do close to 200km/hr be it 4 cylinder or V12 twin turbocharged. But top speed is not the issue here, its the high acceleration rate in a powerful car which allows for a much smaller margin of error to make mistakes, for example; approaching a corner too fast for the novice driver.

The extra power would be a handfull for someone who hasn't spent much time driving and cannot control the car as instinctively as an experienced driver. Just think of the first time you played one of those Daytona USA or Grand Tursimo games, are you more likely to bump into the barriers when driving fast or slow? A high power car can be just as safe as a low powered car, but only in the hands of an experienced driver who knows its limits.

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
supercharged said:
A newbie driver is more likely to lose control of a powerful car than a low powered car. Sure all cars can do close to 200km/hr be it 4 cylinder or V12 twin turbocharged. But top speed is not the issue here, its the high acceleration rate in a powerful car which allows for a much smaller margin of error to make mistakes, for example; approaching a corner too fast for the novice driver.

The extra power would be a handfull for someone who hasn't spent much time driving and cannot control the car as instinctively as an experienced driver. Just think of the first time you played one of those Daytona USA or Grand Tursimo games, are you more likely to bump into the barriers when driving fast or slow? A high power car can be just as safe as a low powered car, but only in the hands of an experienced driver who knows its limits.
You make a very good point. Except I haven't come across a 4cyl that can do close to 200, but that's not the point.

I have a question, WHY do manufacturers continue to make cars that can do insane speeds of over 240km/hr, when the full potential of the engine can't be used? It only leaves temptation for the driver to get to those speeds. i.e the new Ford Typhoon- 6 gears, 2nd gear and you're sitting on 80km/hr.

I think the beginning problem lies with the manufacturers who create these cars. Then, I realise you can take a basic 4cylinder and turbo charge it and whatnot, but these new laws are going to eliminate P platers driving those cars.

But, even with the elimination of V8 and above, and super/turbo/performance modified vehicles, a stock standard 6 can do speeds of up to 180km/hr (my friend and I tested it), and some of them can accelerate pretty damned fast.

So, the new laws, are they going to be the be-all-end-all, or just a step in the right direction?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
chelzmalee said:
You make a very good point. Except I haven't come across a 4cyl that can do close to 200, but that's not the point.
WRX :D

the new commorre's and falcon's are speed limited to 200kmph.

as soon as it hits 200 the engine goes down to 1000rpm, it basicly disengages.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:

I live in the ACT now. I have an ACT licence. Hurrah for P-Off, no more P plates - EVER. No silly restrictions and regulations from the NSW Parliament. Teehee.

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
jm1234567890 said:

WRX's have mods.

And NEW commodores and falcons are limited, but oldies like VR/VS, can do over 200kmph, which is a more likely car for a P Plater.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
chelzmalee said:
WRX's have mods.

And NEW commodores and falcons are limited, but oldies like VR/VS, can do over 200kmph, which is a more likely car for a P Plater.
yeah, pretty easily over 200 too....

i've seen a magna go to 212.

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
jm1234567890 said:

but trucks are speed limited and there are still tonnes of accidents with them,
and with speed limiting, they can pick up speed going down hill, as gravity gives them a helping hand...

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
waddle_828 said:
but trucks are speed limited and there are still tonnes of accidents with them,
and with speed limiting, they can pick up speed going down hill, as gravity gives them a helping hand...
There seems to be a small difference between a 300tonne truck and a 1 tonne (or less) car.

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
chelzmalee said:
There seems to be a small difference between a 300tonne truck and a 1 tonne (or less) car.
true, but a car going at 200 ks an hour can still do alot of damage

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
people can do enough damage traveling at 80k/hr, let alone 200.......

p platers shouldn't b able to drive 4wd's, in my opinion. those cars are not safe... they are more likely to roll because of a higher centre of gravity, you are more likely to kill other road users and pedestrians, and bull bars make u more likely to die, because there is no crumple zone.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Ziff said:
I live in the ACT now. I have an ACT licence. Hurrah for P-Off, no more P plates - EVER. No silly restrictions and regulations from the NSW Parliament. Teehee.
Hrm, that reminds me - I should get my L's, one day, before Canberra becomes dumb. :rolleyes:

supercharged

HSC
N/A
chelzmalee said:
I'm very sure a honda S2000 can easily do over 200km/hr, lol look at the banned list from the RTA, they banned some old shit slow 1980's shopping trolley turbo mini cars such as hyundai s-coupe turbo and honda city turbo, yet you can still get VERY high perfomance six cylinder cars like porsche 911GT3 or BMW M3 CSL :rolleyes:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
supercharged said:
I'm very sure a honda S2000 can easily do over 200km/hr, lol look at the banned list from the RTA, they banned some old shit slow 1980's shopping trolley turbo mini cars such as hyundai s-coupe turbo and honda city turbo, yet you can still get VERY high perfomance six cylinder cars like porsche 911GT3 or BMW M3 CSL :rolleyes:
s2000 isn't turbo, same as BMW M3.

but diahatsu is!!! so it is banned.
oh no, the 900cc 3cyl turbo is too hard to drive!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)