P-type vs n-type (1 Viewer)

Drsoccerball

HSC
1) Which one has a higher conductivity? Wouldn't it be n-type due to the extra electron ?

Mr_Kap

HSC
1) Which one has a higher conductivity? Wouldn't it be n-type due to the extra electron ?
Wouldn't they both be the same because the hole has exactly opposite charge.

Last edited:

mrpotatoed

HSC
For the intents and purposes of the HSC I would assume them to be equal.

Drsoccerball

HSC
For the intents and purposes of the HSC I would assume them to be equal.
But the Hsc dot point is :
"Describe how 'doping' a semiconductor can change its electrical properties"
Furthermore i saw a question a while ago asking a similar question about which doping does what.

keepLooking

HSC
You just explain how an extrinsic semiconductor is formed. G3/G5 element and their respective way of conducting? (positive holes or spare electrons). I haven't seen a question asking to compare the conductivity of each yet.

Drsoccerball

HSC
You just explain how an extrinsic semiconductor is formed. G3/G5 element and their respective way of conducting? (positive holes or spare electrons). I haven't seen a question asking to compare the conductivity of each yet.
Dont make me go searching...

mrpotatoed

HSC
For that dot point you just describe how having either an extra electron or hole in the lattice increase the conductivity by adding an impurity layer and hence reducing the band gap. Never seen anything about comparing the conductivity of holes against electrons.

TalkTakesTime

HSC
N-type doped semiconductors are better conductors than p-type doped semiconductors. As you know the main charge carrier of n-type is free moving electrons in the conduction band (once a voltage is applied) while for p-type it's positive 'holes' (valence electron deficiency). Holes are less mobile since valence electrons are more tightly bound to the nucleus than conduction electrons (hence they're beneath the conduction band in energy band diagrams) so positive hole 'current' from atom to atom is less than electron current through overlapping conduction bands.

Drsoccerball

HSC
N-type doped semiconductors are better conductors than p-type doped semiconductors. As you know the main charge carrier of n-type is free moving electrons in the conduction band (once a voltage is applied) while for p-type it's positive 'holes' (valence electron deficiency). Holes are less mobile since valence electrons are more tightly bound to the nucleus than conduction electrons (hence they're beneath the conduction band in energy band diagrams) so positive hole 'current' from atom to atom is less than electron current through overlapping conduction bands.
The sample answer was similar to this it was n-type

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)