Painting, Who's Doing it? Have you Started? etc (1 Viewer)

Prying Pandora

HSC
I am planning to begin mine soon, just tampering with the proposed dimensions so that it fits the BOS limits with the rest of my potential stuff.
Anyway, I wanted to ask- for those of you wanting to paint for your BOW in which method/medium are you going to use? (I'm a meagre acrylic myself :p )
Also, how big is yours (insert crude pun here ;) ) and are you going to add anything to it ie scultpure or a series of paintings?

lunatique56

Prying Pandora said:
I am planning to begin mine soon, just tampering with the proposed dimensions so that it fits the BOS limits with the rest of my potential stuff.
Anyway, I wanted to ask- for those of you wanting to paint for your BOW in which method/medium are you going to use? (I'm a meagre acrylic myself :p )
Also, how big is yours (insert crude pun here ;) ) and are you going to add anything to it ie scultpure or a series of paintings?
yes, same here. I'm contemplating the dimensions at the moment and whilst I'd really like to make it large-scaled for effect, I'm also trying to be realistic. so once i go and take a look at canvas size n everything..hopefully i'd get it figured.

My work's going to more of mixed media where I'm using mostly oil paints to bring everything together (hopefully harmoniously). but its kinda risky since my skills in painting are pretty mediocre n das why im not going to entirely depend on painting. Was developing my ideas the other night and figured maybe, provided i have time left, submit my work in with two charcoal drawings.

Agent_Soda

HSC
im doing a stencil.. graffiti style on canvas. its going to be an appropiation of Goyas 'Third of May' i want it to be big however im not sure of dimensons yet. what are your ideas for a concept?

HSC
N/A
Agent_Soda said:
im doing a stencil.. graffiti style on canvas. its going to be an appropiation of Goyas 'Third of May' i want it to be big however im not sure of dimensons yet. what are your ideas for a concept?
Hey, that's a really cool idea! I think the best graffiti concerns war and politics (which is part of the subject of the painting) and also makes a bit of a comment on humanity (which this painting certaintly does)

I had this written down somewhere about the artwork, I can't remember whether it was something I read and copied out or something I put together myself.... but it's interesting either way-

This painting depicts a group of Spanish insurgents being executed by French forces who were occupying Madrid at the time.
A row of faceless soldiers, all in the same brutal attitude, take aim beneath the night sky. In the face of death, the condemned men react with a mixture of terror, defiance and despair. One covers his face, another clenches his fist, while a priest clasps his hands in prayer.
Goya focuses our attention on the man in their midst, who throws his arms in a Christ-like gesture of martydom. The brillant white of his shirt, caught by the rays of the lantern, is as arresting as a flash of lightning. To heighten the emotional impact, Goya has painted him much larger than the figures around him: he is knelling, but if he stood up he would dwarf the firing squad.
It is also important to know, that the man in this painting is not a hero... but a victim. A victim of war.

winicat

HSC
lunatique56 said:
yes, same here. I'm contemplating the dimensions at the moment and whilst I'd really like to make it large-scaled for effect, I'm also trying to be realistic. so once i go and take a look at canvas size n everything..hopefully i'd get it figured.
don't forget you can have canvas made to a specific sizing, you don't just have to have "store bought" sizes.

Pierotte

HSC
I was going to do painting but in my class there are 2 extreemly tallented painters and its a bit discouraging. My painting is a different stysle but im not to eagre on being compared. Im thinking of keeping the same idea but modifying it to suit charcoal with maybe one painting to tie it together, my concern is that characpal isnt quite as dramatic and bold and it has its limitations. It is my favourite mdeium but then again lots of people are very good with charcoal. What are your thoughts? Paint with possible mediocre results or stick with charcoal as im familiar with it and i shouldnt really be experimenting at this point.

bolst

yeh im doin painting and charcoal as well coz i love them both to death(and photography as well but thats a looong story haha) im with you Pierotte, charcoal is by far my fav but have to argue that it cant be bold............mmm i would work with lots of different textures and 'grains' of charcoal and you might actually surprise yourself- specially if you use binder medium and then work back over it. my teachers are obsessed with putting shellac over charcoal then painting and drawing back over it....cant say im a fan but try that too.....ooo take a look at william kentridge to see what he does with charcoal and pastels. he's a GENIUS!! thats what im kinda basing my work on, incorporating the colour of pastels and acrylics with the intense texture of charcoal....kinda looks pretty cool...and again its never too late to experiment- just dont be afraid of your work(its only paint right?? can always paint over it!!)

joanna 17

HSC
Pierotte said:
I was going to do painting but in my class there are 2 extreemly tallented painters and its a bit discouraging. My painting is a different stysle but im not to eagre on being compared. Im thinking of keeping the same idea but modifying it to suit charcoal with maybe one painting to tie it together, my concern is that characpal isnt quite as dramatic and bold and it has its limitations. It is my favourite mdeium but then again lots of people are very good with charcoal. What are your thoughts? Paint with possible mediocre results or stick with charcoal as im familiar with it and i shouldnt really be experimenting at this point.
dont be discouraged by the 'tallented painters', different styles are good - your style might make u stand out from the rest!

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
im painting a series of works.i've done some smaller works on tiny canvases, that are roughly 15cm by 20cm. i figured when i'm happy with the smaller works..i'll re-do them on larger canvas. large canvas is scary. coz yeh im afraid ppl will find my work boring. and a large canvas is a big statement. i'm using acrylic, with different texture...gel medium etc.

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
I'm doing painting, I thought I should start breaking away from the inks and chalk pastels. I needed to start making stronger images and I thought this was the best way.

I was thinking of doing a series but not have all of them as paintings, maybe have particle board covered with pictures or just paint on to fired clay soemthing different but it all comes to time and how much you have. I'm just getting annoyed cos I've just had to change my whole paitning technique. I used to do surrealism but now the teacher has moved me on to cubism, it looks easy but it's far from it. not sure how big mine is.

buckley

HSC
im doing painting as well, only acrylic, but im also going to have a sculpture that ties the whole thing in. i thought i was good at painting but now im not so sure, nothing i do seems to work out the way i want and i was never taught how to do perspective so its a really bad case of trial and error. thankfully its meant to be surrealism so im hoping i can pull it off. every time i tell my teacher that i hate my work, she says thats great because im searching for perfection or some crap like that.
my problem is that ive never really worked with anything else but paint and my sculputes giving me hell so i cant choose to use anything else.

phatic

HSC
I painted a self-portrait in oils on Friday night (first thing I've done in my MW), just for practise... though it turned out quite well so I'll probably use it for my MW. Started at 11pm and finished at 1pm the next day. It's fucking excellent, getting lost in the painting for so long, not thinking about the demoralising problems of the everyday... I'd love to drop the whole HSC and just paint all day...

It's only a petty 35x45cm canvas on cardboard, because I'm a cheap whore. :D I'll probably end up with about 4 or 6. Still not sure about the linking concept, I figure I'll work it out as I go. I'm pretty much disregarding what my teachers say... They're too rational. As Nietzsche said, 'Genius resides in instinct.' Or something like that, anyway. :D

gloomy

moo
HSC
I am doing a Roy Lichtenstein approch to my canvases ( especially made.. aiyee! =D) mixed with my manga style (how original....)
Im painting with acrylics.. fun fun fun.
It a kind of 4-panel comic strip of my life. how emotional T_T

lol

cruel intellect

HSC
im painting one work, as am doing mixed media. although im having mucho trouble in actually getting the ink/gel medium/acrylic/pearlescant ink to look like i want it to. i cant get the rainbow effect of unrefined oil that i want with the materials i have. any suggestions?
peace nm

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
I'm jus doing a series of portraits showin different faces n clothin, im usin mix media and paintin on perspects and bein a beginner painter its soo much easier to scratch off lil mistakes paintin on this.. and then im still decidin whether to put some writin in their about seein past appearances behind the perspects so u can see thru.. still decidin.. but does anyone know the max size your total major can tak up wen handin it in? my teacher doesnt really tell us much about all this ay, no biggy or anythin..

HSC
N/A
xox_eMz_xox said:
but does anyone know the max size your total major can tak up wen handin it in? my teacher doesnt really tell us much about all this ay, no biggy or anythin..
From the Syllabus....

Painting
-Individual paintings on a stretched canvas, masonite canvas
board or similar, must not exceed 2 square metres in area.

-Individual paintings over 2 square metres must be rolled.

-The complete submission must not exceed 6 square metres
when displayed for marking.

And the entire weight is 34.4kgs, including packaging. :)

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
etc. etc. etc. said:
From the Syllabus....

Painting
-Individual paintings on a stretched canvas, masonite canvas
board or similar, must not exceed 2 square metres in area.

-Individual paintings over 2 square metres must be rolled.

-The complete submission must not exceed 6 square metres
when displayed for marking.

And the entire weight is 34.4kgs, including packaging. :)
thankx m8, ur a champ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)