panic panic panic (1 Viewer)

xxxx8888

HSC
i don't really study quotes seperately to the rest of the content. i remember them together because it's integrated in responses that i've written up for past papers . . . and summaries . . . and essays. so if in the exam it asks us to write something on . . . the gov't, slaves, women, commerce/industry, religion or whatever, i just remember paragraphs i've written that have quotes included in them.

oh, and for english i do what everyone advises against - i memorise one generic essay for journeys, and one for each module (quotes included obviously). meh . . . it's worked so far.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
xxxx8888 said:
oh, and for english i do what everyone advises against - i memorise one generic essay for journeys, and one for each module (quotes included obviously). meh . . . it's worked so far.
Me too. Works like a charm! :)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
dagwoman said:
I'm just repeating the message from the markers.
The following are quotes taken directly from the markers comments from the last two years regarding acronyms. ;)

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2005exams/pdf_doc/english_std_adv_er_05.pdf said:
It was pleasing to see that many candidates heeded last year’s notes from the marking centre regarding use of acronyms. However, there are still some candidates shortening titles and authors’ names by using clumsy acronyms such as CTRS by PS and TTWTSS. Candidates can avoid the necessity of repeating text titles by referring to distinctive elements of the title, for example, .Lime-Tree.. or .Immigrants.., Frost.s .The Road.. or referring to the author/director, as in .Bragg’s text., .Walker’s review. or .Benigni’s film.. Writers, poets, dramatists and directors should be referred to by their surname in full.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2004exams/pdf_doc/english_std_adv_er_04.pdf said:

Candidates were not penalised for using acronyms but are reminded that it is not the preferable way to refer to texts, as it jars the overall flow of their response.​

So basically don't go using acronyms for every little thing, I myself have only ever done it in the modules paper for Blade Runner (BR), Brave New World (BNW) and King Lear (KL). Simple well know acronyms when written as shown shouldn't be a problem - however it is up to you to decide what you want to do as it is up to me to also make that choice.

I wouldn't recommend using all out acronyms on everything but they can be helpful on occasions if they are commonly used acronyms. Or at the very least instead of writing the full name again you can do as the markers suggest and write .Immigrants...​

k_stroud22

UAI 2006 83.70
HSC
(enigma) said:
think of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. with the words written on the cover in large friendly letters
DON'T PANIC

go hitch-hikers!

its the only thing that keeps me sane with study (along with dr who and lotr)

Gangels

HSC
aristos said:
ummmm...well that kinda depends on the type of music ur listening to...imagine some crazy rave guy pumping some house or trans music-as if he could concentrate more???
Well it depends on whether he's used to the music and if he likes it. Some people use Blood duster and cannibal corpse to calm down when they are angry. If you like what your listening to, then it should help. I dont think it would be for everyone though. I think its mostly classical music that does it.

Sir Loin

HSC
I've kept using acronyms to a minimum, instead of "Also in BR, Deckard...blahblahblah..." it's "Also, it can be seen that Deckard...etc"

Works a treat, no random capitals all over my essay.:)

HSC
xxxx8888 said:
i don't really study quotes seperately to the rest of the content. i remember them together because it's integrated in responses that i've written up for past papers . . . and summaries . . . and essays. so if in the exam it asks us to write something on . . . the gov't, slaves, women, commerce/industry, religion or whatever, i just remember paragraphs i've written that have quotes included in them.

that's what I did for my english trials.,,and it actually worked :eek:

so I'm doing that for the hsc as well.

omg talk about panicking!! :eek:
can it get any worse?! :(

rocafella32

HSC
im jelous of people who can remember word for word generic essays (sigh!)

I cant do that, however i remember my notes in basic dot points and in nearly every essay i do, the same point would be there, but written down in a subtely different way, as in i use the main point and just switch it to the question...i feel that way i can adapt my point form essay into any question

Sir Loin

HSC
Yep, this asian guy in my class does the generic thing, final rank 2?/158. Funny thing is, our teachers told us not to do the generic thing at the beginning of the year, but come end of term 3, they knew we'd do the generic thing, and just told us to do it - forget what they told us earlier.:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)