Paper 1 Question 3 Confusion (1 Viewer)

Rakkien

HSC
I'm a bit confused as to how to answer this question.

They give you a statement which you have to argue in terms of how true it is. I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to incorporate my own thesis statement into this essay when I have already been given one.

For example, say the given statement was "An individual’s sense of belonging is determined not only by their own choices
but also by the attitudes of others. "
and I had to argue its truth, how would I incorporate MY OWN thesis statement into the response?

I'm just confused on how to word / use the given statement throughout the essay.

Thanks, :D

HSC
N/A
Yeah, it's hard isn't it? I think the best thing to do is to use the words of the question given but then develop it, so that you are adding your personal idea. In the question you've given you might say, for example-"It is true that individuals do not have complete control over whether or not they belong, since others may choose to exclude them because of prejudice or fear" Can you see that you would have added those reasons for excluding someone? The you would use your prescribed text and a related text to show where people were not accepted because of either prejudice or fear. Hope that helps.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just make sure you are deconstructing the given statement and considering the most relevant textual evidence you remember to back up the thesis points you come up in relation to the question, always focus on answering the question and nothing but the question, if the thesis statements you have come up with personally does not work, then don't force it into the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)