parents paying for uni fees/textbooks etc (1 Viewer)

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
I pay everything myself, and I've HECS'd the uni fees, apart from the student guild fees.

I pay for:
- textbooks (either new or second hand, depends on the availability)
- student guild fees
- mobile phone bills
- phone bill
- internet bill

My partner pays for everything else - we're living rent-fee in his parent's house. His parents have offered to help pay for uni, but I've declined their offer. I just don't want to feel guilty leeching off my in-laws, and they understand that. They have said that if I have serious money problems, I just have to simply ask them.

My mother is in no position to pay anything for my education - she's a single mother and she's got 3 other teenage kids (ages 16, 14, 13) to look after.

I'm currently applying for a Commonwealth Learning scholarship at USQ, so I hope to get the scholarship, so I would be able to pay my way through uni, and maybe be able to purchase a laptop.

L

LaraB

sweetcherry said:
My partner pays for everything else - we're living rent-fee in his parent's house. His parents have offered to help pay for uni, but I've declined their offer. I just don't want to feel guilty leeching off my in-laws, and they understand that. They have said that if I have serious money problems, I just have to simply ask them.

My mother is in no position to pay anything for my education - she's a single mother and she's got 3 other teenage kids (ages 16, 14, 13) to look after.

I'm currently applying for a Commonwealth Learning scholarship at USQ, so I hope to get the scholarship, so I would be able to pay my way through uni, and maybe be able to purchase a laptop.
i know what you mean about the whole 'in-laws' thing.. my partner's offerred to pay my HECs and stuff over n over again coz his dad paid his so he doesn't want mer to come out of uni with a debt, but it would more or less be his dad's money and i don't wanna like.. i dunno.. not 'owe' them but it'd feel like it..

I got scholarships and man they're a life saver!... I know i wouldn't be able to work a non-mind-numbingly-boring-monotonous job with the timetable i have atm at uni so the scholarships are awesome coz you're more or less paid to go to uni. Hope you get one:)

L

LaraB

glycerine said:
for the record i am by no means a lazy or spoilt bludger. i currently work 5-7 days a week and use my own money for basically everything else. i don't expect my parents to pay for me to go out drinking or smoke $50ish of cigarettes a week or buying clothes or food or anything. [bar of course what i eat at home].
tsk tsk $50 a week on ciggys lol... that's thousands a year! you could buy a laptop! haha :)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Haha... So many people get so defensive when they admit they're being supported by their parents. "I know I'm a leech buuuut...."

I agree with glycerine, I do think it's poor form to choose not to work. I'm pretty spoiled by my parents, but I do work on the weekend to pay for textbooks and transport and that sort of thing.

Actually, it's a bit hypocritical for me to say that because I'm thinking of quitting work once I hit 5th year...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
The Super-smart people should be supported entirely by the government so they can spend more time constructing ground-breaking theories and other such humanity improving work.

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
awh. dont feel bad. some of my mates are sponging off parents and skipped the uni-more schooling idea all together. so at least you're doing something 'worthwhile' yea and you've got the intention to pay it back.

for uni to date - units are HECsed so im not going to think about that sum until.. a lot.. later.. haha.. my parents paid for the $600 odd student union fee, and my chem bridging.. im paying back the bridging and every once and a while I lose a few notes when they're out of atm range. and despite the fact they dont charge rent until im into full-time work, i help with the food bills when im with. then travel/textbooks/readers/lunch etc.etc. bites the savings account.

as for insight - i did the casual in-between-school work for a bit under 2 years, saved a few grand then messed around with interest rates - 'free money?' and still fitting a few hours of work between a 5-day uni-week. so far it's only my first semester so i'll have to see how forking out the dollars constantly goes..

HSC
i live out of home (not by choice, my hometown is too small and shit to have a university), so ..

my parents pay for my rent/textbooks/student guild fees, gave me a car, and occasionally put money in my bank account. i pay for food, going out, petrol, rego and other random expenses (partly from the money they gave me, and partly from money i saved last year until i'm eligible for youth allowance)

they offered to pay my hecs fees upfront, and as much as i appreciated their offer, i decided to just defer them instead .. like someone else said, it's my education not theirs, and i don't think they should have to pay for everything in my life, they've done enough for me the past 18 years.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
LaraB said:
I didn't say that being one of v ery few in your family going to uni means that your parents will/should pay for everything for you.

I said it is understandable why they might.

Eg - i have 4 brothers, 2 are at uni already and the other 2 will be in the next coupld oe years - if my parents paid for say, each of our HECs, that would total more than $150,000 which is totally ridiculous and i'd n ever expect them to do that... if they paid for everything like some parents do, they'd be spending at least more than $1million between the 5 of us minimum.

However, my bf for eg, he's an only kid so it's not as big a deal for his parents to pay for a heap of his stuff because it's no where near that kinda money. And if you're an only kid or the only one in your family to go to uni, it's probably going to be a bigger deal for your parents so it's natural that they'd wanna help you out even more since it's not a 'usual' occurrence.
Err, so if they pay for everything it will be an additional $850 000? LOL. No wonder you don't do any maths at uni.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
*sigh* My dad wishes he could pay for anyhting that will help with Uni costs. Though he is going to max out his credit card to pay for my Canberra College fee ($950). We've been supporting each othe rsinse our main income went in 2001 (my mum). Though the annoying thing is that we both had jobs, but never at the same time:().

I went to a Catholic School....it was the best. & They never bugged us about fees when we couldnt pay. & they said (cos we now own them $800:D)..they said, u know, u can just forget about paying the rest..my dada would hear of it! He is going to pay it all off! Compared to Gateway, where they bullied him to pay $3000 cos they say we didnt give them a terms notice of me leaving...though my parents had told them over & over again:mad1:

Still, Job Seekers payment is useful & when i go to canberra, im staying at family friends, who want rent (totally understandble)..so according to centrelink, i go back to studying...& living away from home..$360 & i should get some type of rent help. extra $60-70..nice!

Could kill my aunt, get lots of money then, but i shouldnt...its too far to walk. & i dont want to ask her for help with money..cos she is paying for my braces ($6 850)

Last edited:

pete_mate

HSC
it annoys me the way you people with poor parents get youth allowance.

because if you have rich parents, but still pay for everything, you cant get it!
so you're actually worse off because centrelink assumes your spoilt

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
pete_mate said:
it annoys me the way you people with poor parents get youth allowance.

because if you have rich parents, but still pay for everything, you cant get it!
so you're actually worse off because centrelink assumes your spoilt
HA HA! Wel i only get $50 cos the the rest of it is paying for my & dad's health insurence

Skeeta

HSC
my parents have paid my HECS upfront and also pay fees and textbooks

they gave me the choice of going to a public school and them paying for uni - so i did and dont feel guilty at all. I work hard at my job to pay for everything else, and i'm doing my best to get myself through uni.

I dont expect them to pay anything, but they want me to be debt free when i'm outin the workforce (which i can understand)

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
p'rents paid for: 1st year of HECS

i've paid for: everything else

lived out of home for the first 2 years of uni, but now i've moved back - however i am still paying rent/board. due to shiftwork i'm rarely home for meals, anyway.
because i worked for a year after yr12 i get youth allowance, but since i always earn over the threshold i never get any each fortnight (i earn about $700-1000 fortnight, before tax)

i've never had to have them bail me out for going into debt, and i've never had to pay any interest on my credit card.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
vodkacrumble said:
p'rents paid for: 1st year of HECS

i've paid for: everything else

lived out of home for the first 2 years of uni, but now i've moved back - however i am still paying rent/board. due to shiftwork i'm rarely home for meals, anyway.
because i worked for a year after yr12 i get youth allowance, but since i always earn over the threshold i never get any each fortnight (i earn about $700-1000 fortnight, before tax)

i've never had to have them bail me out for going into debt, and i've never had to pay any interest on my credit card.
:wave: hello EMU PLAINS GIRL!!!!!

*cough*...which uni do you go too?

Pierotte

HSC
Meh mine pay for it all.

I originally had all my fees deferred, but 3 days before the census date dad put it all into perspectve saying that he had the money to pay for it, and was in a position to do so, he knew i wanted the whole independance thing but said this wasnt the way to go about it.
Why should i start my life off with a massive debt when there was another way.

SO i agreed, said thanks, and just accepted it.

no guilt.

He said he would atleast pay for my first semester, and i could decide what to do after that.
But well... now that ive accepted the first semester if he offers to pay the rest why would I say no?

He said if i wanted i could pay him back... but well I dont even feel the need to.

If your parents offer to pay your HECS why feel bad about it?
I dont feel like a spoiled little rich kid at all.
Im just greatfull that my parents are so well off that they CAN pay for me.
Who else are they going to spend their money on?

At the moment theyre also paying for my rent.
This i feel bad about, I'll start paying it as soon as i get another job.

But i don't think theyve even given it a second thought, I am their daughter afterall, to be blunt for the last 17 years i have been the main purpose of their life.
Why do they work? To send me to school and bye me food and give me the best life they can.
Its not selfish.
Its fact.
As if they would just cut me off.

Judge away.

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
I pay for everything rent books fees net etc All on $400 a foughtnight as i'm on the disability pension. My parents havent paid for anything since I was 17 and that was while i was living with them. i have been out on my own since may las;t yr.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
parents pay for tuition fees so long as i get above credit (good motivation)

i live at home with parents.. but yea i pay for things like transport, going out, food etc...

jellybeenz

HSC
My parents pay for my food, clothing, union fees, travel expenses and I live at home. They don't pay for my Hecs, I defer the payment...

At the moment I'm feeling really guilty about it, because I don't have a job. I used to but now I don't get any shifts. I used to have at least some of my own money to spend on going out and presents for people- now I have to ask my parents for it. Especially now my dad is looking at getting made redundant, its really making me feel bad.

I asked them what they thought of supporting me and they insisted they don't mind. I don't want it to be like this forever though. I need to find another job. Its just so hard now that I have so much Uni work to do....

I don't think its bad to live off your parents while at Uni- as long as you realise what they are doing for you and are grateful to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)