• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Paris Je T'Aime (Natalie Portman, Elijah Wood, Maggie Gyllenhaal) (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

Twenty filmmakers from a incredibly variety of styles and genres come together to have their own five minutes of freedom. The producers use these twenty films and create some narrative overall. It doesn't sound all to disjunct and awkward, if you could be bothered reading imdb's explanation at the very bottom.

For now, here's the trailer. The trailer reminds me of "Love Actually", but i know it'll probably be far from it.

I couldn't be bothered doing them all, but...

Directors:

Gurinder Chadha (Bride & Prejudice)
Sylvain Chomet (The Illusionist)
Ethan Coen (O Brother, Where Art Thou)
Isabel Coixet (The Secret Life of Words)
Wes Craven (The Hills Have Eyes, Red Eye, Scream (1,2&3))
Alfonso Cuarón (Great Expectations)
Christopher Doyle (Lady in the Water)
Richard LaGravenese (The Horse Whisperer)
Vincenzo Natali (Earth Final Conflict)
Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run)
Gus Van Sant (Psycho, Good Will Hunting, Elephant, To Die For)

And the cast:

Natalie Portman
Elijah Wood
Maggie Gyllenhaal
Steve Buscemi
Catalina Sandino Moreno (Fast Food Nation)
Willem Dafoe (Green Goblin from Spiderman 2)
Gena Rowlands (Old Allie from The Notebook)
Barbet Schroeder (Mars Attacks!)
Miranda Richardson (Phanton of the Opera)
Emily Mortimer (Match Point)
Leonor Watling
Juliette Binoche
Nick Nolte
(plus more)

imdb.com said:
Paris, je t'aime is about the plurality of cinema in one mythic location: Paris, the City of Love. Twenty filmmakers will bring their own personal touch, underlining the wide variety of styles, genres, encounters and the various atmospheres and lifestyles that prevail in the neighborhoods of Paris. Each director has been given five minutes of freedom, and we, as producers, carry the responsibility of weaving a single narrative unit out of those twenty moments.

The 20 films will not appear in the order of the arrondissements, from one to twenty, but rather, in a pertinent narrative order, initially unknown to the audience. They will be fused together by transitional interstitial sequences, and also via the introduction and epilogue sequences of the feature film. Each transition will begin with the last shot of the previous film and will end with the first shot of the following film, and will have a threefold function: 1) The first is to extend the enchantment and the emotion of the previous segment, 2) The second is to prepare the audience for the surprise of the next segment, and 3) The third is to provide a general, comfortable and cohesive atmosphere to the feature film. The delightful and brief interludes of these transitions will enable the viewer to slide from one world to the next, featuring a recurring and unexpected character. This mysterious character is a witness to the Parisian life and helps create a continuous narration. It appears both in and in-between the films. In addition to the information these transitions will provide about the city and its people, their tone will be intentionally light often referring to famous scenes easily attributed to the history of Paris cinema. Similar specifications will be followed by the composer who will supervise the musical fusion between the films and the transitions as he creates the musical score of Paris, je t'aime.

Considering the common theme of Paris and Love, the fusion between the films and the transitions, the fast pace of a fluid and complete storytelling, Paris, je t'aime will not be just another "anthology" picture. It will be a unique collective feature film that will constitute a two-hour cinematographic spectacle whose original structure will make for a dramatically different experience for its global audience.
*nags like a little girl*

I want to see it! I don't have the greatest of expectations, but I'm highly curious about it!

It's out now.

HSC
I saw it last weekend. It's a cute movie, some of them will leave you with a smile on your face, and others will leave you thinking what exactly was that all about. I really liked it though :)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
It's playing at Dendy Circular Quay if you don't want to go to Bondi Junction.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
OH! I didn't even consider there.

I was actually thinking Broadway.

But danke <3

em_516

bludging..
HSC
this looks like it could be really good

and bubz, priceless was so cute! i love audrey tautou :eek:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
The first half I loved loved loved loved loved. There are a few memorable ones that utilised their 5 minutes with awesome professionalism and craft. They were short stories, resolved etc.

Yes it was 5 minute stories but a lot of them flowed pretty well. You kinda got use to it, just floating around Paris like you're stopping by everywhere, which I think is the point.

There were a handful, I'm afraid, that didn't know how to tell a story in five minutes effectively. Some made you want the story to keep going (ie it didn't feel resolved) and others tried to cram it in the time frame.

Well I liked it. I'm not sure I'd jump up and down recommending it but it was entertaining and a nice way to spend two hours. :)

My three most memorable that seemed to me the best were in no particular order; one where the boy meets another boy for the first time and feels the need to talk to him; like their soulmates, when the other doesn't speak French! Argh! The twist! I knew something was weird but I'm so surprised with myself that I didn't pick that up!

The one with Steve Buscemi, the tourist in the subway. OH MY! It was done so perfectly! So frikin witty and clever, and really used the 5 minutes effectively.

And then there was the one that involved with the Muslim girl (boy was she unbelievably pretty) that really captured me.

Okay some random comments: I found the old divorced couple one (Gene Rowland's one) really funny and witty

the mother's mourning for her son a little heart wrenching when her son appeared,

I'm not sure if I really liked Natalie Portman's one. It didn't strike out to me as anything wonderful. It was poetic, a little, though.

I thought the asian based film was painfully ridiculous. Must anything remotely to do with asia be kooky and weird?

The Mime was brilliant

The vampire one made me laugh out loud the way she "floated", and what was it, vampire makeout? But WTF it really was a incredibly different mood. I wonder what the two films they took out were like if they kept this vampire one in?!?

Disliked the Oscar Wilde one.

Thought the "I fell in love with Paris" heavy accented American-French hilarious. Hahahahah *french french french french* JETLAG *french french* SANDWICH.

That's all for now

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
saw it tonight. it's a bit different at first but you get used to it and i loved the concept, probably because i lived there and loved it.

favourite shorts:
- american lady (LOL'ed at accent hard)
- french-african guy and the lady
- two guys and soulmates

some of them were very weak, but i think the ending made it better esp. the american girl.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Well I got to see this movie with none other than THE ice cream disco. That's right, you heard me, and I bet y'all jealous!

Coens and Payne were the undeniable best.
The asian hairdressing was the WORST, with the muslim/frenchie love story close behind.

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC
AlleyCat said:
Well I got to see this movie with none other than THE ice cream disco. That's right, you heard me, and I bet y'all jealous!

Coens and Payne were the undeniable best.
The asian hairdressing was the WORST, with the muslim/frenchie love story close behind.
it's all true guys, READ IT AND WEEP.

i was kinda drifting off at a few points, so i had to watch a few of the shorts on youtube again. they're all there! the cuaron/nick nolte/ludivine sagnier one improved, as did the assayas/gyllenhaal one.

i also found out that the nightwatch director didn't contribute anything. i don't know what put me under that impression. and it turns out marianne faithful played the old woman briefly glimpsed at the beginning of gus van sant's short.

icecreamdisco rates it 3 mercifully absent nightwatch directors out of a possible 5.

walrusbear

HSC
icecream and alleycat are back!

thanks for the youtube heads up - i can at least see the coens short

alleycat: why aren't you posting in the sopranos thread :( i want some opinions on the new season

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Watched it at Dendy yesterday!

Much love to...
- the old divorced couple

- the American with the horrible French accent... it was a great ending

- the subway with the tourist and freaky couple, and the naughty boy hahaha

- the one with the American father and French daughter (?) walking down the street, where everyone assumed they were having an affair but turned out that he really was her Daddy.. literally (right?)

- the guy who sat down and talked to the non-French guy about being soulmates, without realising he didn't understand French... what I didn't get though was afterwards, when he talked to the other artist guy in English about not understanding... didn't that guy need a translator before? A bit lost

Hmmm @
- the asian thing. Uhh?!?!

- the Maggie Gyllenhaal one, I can't remember what happened in it.. someone refresh me?

- Elijah Wood and vampire. Right. Though it was funny in the end how they bit each others necks and ended in a little heart-shaped spotlight...

Does anyone know who directed which segments?

edit - this pretty much sums up my thoughts: http://www.smh.com.au/news/film-reviews/paris-je-taime/2007/04/19/1176696955102.html

Last edited:

curiouscookie

HSC
I had been waiting for this movie for so freaking long! About 18 months, I think. I dunno, I saw a preview thing on in on Euromaxx (zomg, I love TVS) some time last year.
But it lived up to my expectations. I loved it.
My fave was the mimes (that kid was so cute with his giant bag. I want to live where he does, zomg, right under the Eiffel Tower!) and the American lady. As soon as she started talking, the whole cinema started giggling. *french french french*jetlag, roflmao. It was so sweet though. I really didnt like Natalie Portman, though, her character was so... blech.
I hope to go see priceless this week. I'm going to use it for English related material (powerplay) Yay, movie and homework at the same time! =o!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)