Parking (1 Viewer)

Kralex

HSC
So I realized that its so much more economically feasible for me to drive to Macquarie and hey hey, the traffic really ain't too bad at all!! Not as bad as I thought it would be :)

So I'm just wondering if I could keep getting away with parking for free? (done it twice now) or should I purchase the permit? It seems pretty cheap but the only difficulty I'm having is figuring out a place to buy it???

help?

Also they don't sell out right??? I don't want to have to settle on the dodgy option of parking at Macq centre for 3 hours and at break renewing my parking ticket..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just keep free, they'll never catch you

Kralex

HSC
soz gonna wait for another reply cause we haven't had a good posting history together :\

dynasty

HSC
you can buy a parking permit from the cashier's office in the Lincoln building, and they don't sell out but you'll be lucky to find a spot if you're getting there any time after 9 (except on fridays..there's always heaps of spots then)

Odyssey2001

HSC
So I'm just wondering if I could keep getting away with parking for free? (done it twice now) or should I purchase the permit? It seems pretty cheap but the only difficulty I'm having is figuring out a place to buy it???
Security guards do walk around the car parks at MQ to check and make sure you either have a permit or a ticket to be parking and they do hand out fines in big orange envelopes and they're $80+. They've probably been a bit lax because the first few weeks back at uni are crazy but after the cool down they’ll start walking around and checking again.

sean1990

HSC
2010 permits were valid for the first week.
from now on im guessing there will be parking offices walking around and you WILL get done. the fine is around $89.

Go buy a permit.

astroe

HSC
Don't bother parking on campus without a permit. You could try nearby residential streets if you wanted to park for free.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah parking is pretty terrible on campus. I was considering this option for a while but decided the train would be much easier.

As far as buying a permit goes, I would agree with what's been said in here. Definitely get one.

Kralex

HSC
thanks for the reply guys!

I usually get into Uni early (9am) so finding parking is no issue for me. Will pick up a permit as soon as I have the cash for the yearly :D

Andy18

HSC
Parking is quite a nonsense at the moment. I find it shameful that a yearly permit is over $200 now, and yet half the cars will eventually have to park on a nearby street. It's exploitation from the university in an attempt to discourage driving and encourage usage of the new bus and train systems. What they forget is Macquarie was never a city campus, most pick it due to its proximity to their homes ie. their garage. Macquarie is building new parking spots I believe in place of the old golf driving range. Might not be done till 2012 (and far from the center of campus).

Never the less stick it out. Parking gets easier I find as the semester wears on. But buy a permit or you'll get fined. Macquarie University is rolling in cash from both its parking officers and the 300% increase in parking prices. I remember it use to be $60 a year. Just remember your paying lots of money for a 'service', but it's a very poor one. Thankfully I only have uni at nights :)

Odyssey2001

HSC
Parking is quite a nonsense at the moment. I find it shameful that a yearly permit is over $200 now, and yet half the cars will eventually have to park on a nearby street. It's exploitation from the university in an attempt to discourage driving and encourage usage of the new bus and train systems. What they forget is Macquarie was never a city campus, most pick it due to its proximity to their homes ie. their garage. Macquarie is building new parking spots I believe in place of the old golf driving range. Might not be done till 2012 (and far from the center of campus).

Never the less stick it out. Parking gets easier I find as the semester wears on. But buy a permit or you'll get fined. Macquarie University is rolling in cash from both its parking officers and the 300% increase in parking prices. I remember it use to be $60 a year. Just remember your paying lots of money for a 'service', but it's a very poor one. Thankfully I only have uni at nights :)
I agree that they're trying to discourage you from driving in favour of public transport but the public transport there ain't that great (well not for me anyway), I can catch a bus and it takes me an hour+ to get to uni or I can drive and get there in 20-30min depending on traffic. But yeah I noticed this week it's not as busy as it was first or second week back.

Odyssey2001

HSC
Sorry to double post but I have a question about parking during the graduations in the mid-semester break. I have to come in a few times over the break and I was wondering whether the parking during this time was just as busy as during the semester, as in could I still find a decent spot at like 10 or 11 in the morning without having to drive around for 20min to find a spot?

Andy18

HSC
I graduated last September and had no problems finding parking. Mind you I arrived at 8am-9am. But I would say with the new parking strip near the Aquatic centre you would have no problems at all. In fact I bet you could get a spot in the C block during semester break.

Odyssey2001

HSC
I graduated last September and had no problems finding parking. Mind you I arrived at 8am-9am. But I would say with the new parking strip near the Aquatic centre you would have no problems at all. In fact I bet you could get a spot in the C block during semester break.
Ok cool thanks for the reply.

iLikePotatoes

HSC
N/A
Anyone have experience parking at night? :/ I have my first class later at 6 PM...

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I've never tried driving after 6PM but I'd imagine that it'd be slightly easier to find a place.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Anyone have experience parking at night? :/ I have my first class later at 6 PM...
Shouldn't be a problem, there should be plenty of good spots available by 6pm. ... Only exception may be those final weeks before exams and it seems like everyone camps on campus and never leaves...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)